Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

5 members and 2,833 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Choosing big lizard (no money/space restrictions), tegu or sailfin?

As an engagement token from my fiancee I want a big lizard instead of typical ring. We have both money and space for anything at all really, so it's not really important how big an enclosure will be etc. Of course common sense dictates that the animal price would need to be around 800$, but as for enclosure and care requirement there are no restrictions at all. Also, I don't really mind if it'll be omnivorous, carnivorous or herbivorous, or arboreal/terrestrial. I wolud prefer if the lizard wouldn't be heavier than 25-35lbs and not too aggressive/defensive.

For a long time I was sure I want a black&white argentine tegu, but recently I'm also considering a sailfin dragon (Hydrosaurus pustulatus or amboinensis). There is plenty of info about tegus, but I can't really find much about sailfins other than basic care. If anyone knows someone I could write to and ask some opinions how they are as pets and how working with them looks I would really appreciate it (or maybe someone here worked with them and could tell me what is their opinion about those dragons). I would gladly hear your opinion about what you would choose from these two.
    I like tegus more in terms of personality and "pet-ability", but I also fell in love with sailfins and they seem to be more challenging in terms of "taming" them.

Or maybe you have any other reccomendations what I could look at? I'm not really a fan of monitors as I don't like how they look, but I'm sure there are some species of big lizards that I don't know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sylphie; 05-05-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    0.1 Elaphe schrenckii, 0.1 Python regius, 1.0 Pantherophis guttatus, 2.0 R. ciliatus, 0.1 Pogona vitticeps, 1.0 Mauremys reevesii, 1.1 dogs

Thanks
    Sailfins provide a lot of challenges. They can be flighty at first, but tend to calm down after a minute of being held. They're very hidey agamids. If you're looking for one of the big colorful Philippines sailfins, $800 may be a bit short. I only know of one good reputible breeder (Scott corning) and I would absolutely buy breeder direct. These guys have more particular needs in general.

A tegu is more likely to be "dog tame", even seeking out your affection from time to time. They're husbandry requirements are also a little easier to deal with as they are a hardier reptile.

And that's my 2 cents on that matter. I understand the struggle because I have to make the same choice in a couple years.
    0.1 Albino ball python, 0.1 Mojave Spider, 1.0 Savanah Banana

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonbp For This Useful Post:

Sylphie (05-05-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I would go with the tegu, personally. A lot more of a pet where as the sailfin is going to be more like a show piece.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Sylphie (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for your opinions! I also got reccomended to look at rhino iguanas and they seem similiar in "personality" to tegus, but I can't find proper info about what lights they need (some articles say just full-spectrum uv, while others that both uv + color-correcting hqi lights are needed). Any opinions about that?

I know it's plenty of questions, but I don't want to jump into decisions and it's always better to ask others who worked/know each species.
    0.1 Elaphe schrenckii, 0.1 Python regius, 1.0 Pantherophis guttatus, 2.0 R. ciliatus, 0.1 Pogona vitticeps, 1.0 Mauremys reevesii, 1.1 dogs

Thanks
    I can't provide any input on a sailfin or the rhino, but as far as a tegu goes, once you have the proper husbandry down their are fairly easy to care for. I have mine in an 8ft x 4ft x 4ft enclosure with literally a ton of dirt, logs, etc so she can climb and burrow. She is really active, and moves around quite a bit, loves to come out and explore. She isn't what I would call puppy dog tame. She will let me hold her, but also gets in moods where she angry/bitey. Definitely a fun and challenging animal at the same time.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Sylphie (05-05-2017)

Thanks

Re: Choosing big lizard (no money/space restrictions), tegu or sailfin?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
    Thanks for your opinions! I also got reccomended to look at rhino iguanas and they seem similiar in "personality" to tegus, but I can't find proper info about what lights they need (some articles say just full-spectrum uv, while others that both uv + color-correcting hqi lights are needed). Any opinions about that?

I know it's plenty of questions, but I don't want to jump into decisions and it's always better to ask others who worked/know each species.
    I'm not sure who decided any reptile did NOT need full spectrum (uvb and uva), but they, and most living things, do. I provide full spectrum for all my reptiles and inverts. If we are trying to mimic their natural habitat, I think it only makes sense.

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonbp For This Useful Post:

Sylphie (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Diurnal lizards will require at least uvb. My opinion is that a tegu makes one of the best large lizard pets in the trade. Nocturnal reptiles do not require it (although I doubt it would hurt)
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-05-2017),Sylphie (05-05-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leonbp View Post
    I'm not sure who decided any reptile did NOT need full spectrum (uvb and uva), but they, and most living things, do. I provide full spectrum for all my reptiles and inverts. If we are trying to mimic their natural habitat, I think it only makes sense.

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Many reptiles and inverts require full spectrum lighting. Many do not. This is not an opinion thing. It is fact.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Sylphie (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Oh, maybe I worded it wrong, I know that all reptiles need full spectrum UVA+UVB, it's just that some rhino iguana care sheets mention only those full spectrum uva+uvb, while others recommend to buy color-correcting HQI light too as uva+uvb is not enough for them. English is not my first language so it's possible that I just wrote it wrong the first time

In the end I guess we'll go with tegu, as they seem to be best suited for pet lizard and are perfect in both size and care requirements for us. But if anyone has any other bigger lizard ideas I would gladly hear it, it's never bad to learn about new species I might not know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Many reptiles and inverts require full spectrum lighting. Many do not. This is not an opinion thing. It is fact.
    It is not a matter of fact. Many of the husbandry techniques we practice today have been groomed and refined by breeders of a particular species, but that doesn't mean it is complete just because they live and proliferate.

Also, please read that I said "most living things", and that I personally provide my reptiles and inverts (aside from roaches) both.