Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

1 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Poison Dart Frogs

Anybody out there keep any? I think I'll be getting some in the future.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Re: Poison Dart Frogs

I have kept a few over the years with no luck but I have done a ton of research since then and once my new Super sized Vivarium is complete I plan on getting a few more. The hardest part is making sure they have plenty of hides, its nice and humid at all times and that they eat mine were both large enough for 1/4" crickets but woould not take them only pinheads. They are some of the coolest frogs out there next to my favs the Red eye Tree's.Here is a link with to some decent info http://www.blackjungle.com/
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Ohh they are so neat, I would love to have a few, but do not get any because I just dont know that I would be able to set them up and maintain them right.. maybe I am being a bit too nervous about it, but I dont want to kill anything b/c of my ignorance. Gee, I LOVE to see pics of them though.... I love the different colors I have seen them in. The gal who bred my beardie, breeds them also, I have seen her set up, and it is truelly awesome, she tried talking me into buying some, but I decided not to.

I was reading somewhere that they are not poisonous in captivity because there is something they are not getting in captivity that makes them poisonous (some ant I think~ wish I could remember) and that breeder told me that too, but I still cant remember exactly what she said.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

I have kept a lot of Ranid frogs, as well as horned frogs and clawed frogs, but never Darts. I have seen some AWEsome looking ones, and really, if I had the space I would set up a large naturalistic vivarium and get some. Their colors are amazing. There used to be a shop in Buffalo that had awesome setups for them, and they did not seem to be hard to care for.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I was reading somewhere that they are not poisonous in captivity because there is something they are not getting in captivity that makes them poisonous (some ant I think~ wish I could remember) and that breeder told me that too, but I still cant remember exactly what she said.

Nope not if captive born or kept for long periods of time though certain species I would only keep if captive born due to the fact that you would be dead shortly after you found out you had a problem. Its there wild diet that makes them secrete(SP) their toxins.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

They do think it's something to do with the ants though. (as part of that wild diet).

I'm probably going to have somebody else build the setup. I'd be more concerned that I screwed up the setup somehow. Also, I love this waterfall setup one of the swap dealers has (he's the one I'd have make the setup, it's one of the things he does), and I just think there's way to much involved in that for me before I'd get it right.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.

Thanks

Actually these are GREAT little animals and really not that hard to keep!

I started out with a pair of Surinam Cobalts (D. tinc) back in January of this year (2006). They were my first PDF's. Here's the vivarium I have them in, it's a 12"x12"x18" H Exo Terra:

Here's my female Cobalt hunting for FF's:

I now have (2) froglets of D. Leuc. that I just picked up last month at the Hamburg Reptile Show. They are eating well, too.

The key to keeping PDF's is:
    • Feeding them the right stuff
    • Maintaining the proper temperature (usually no less than 65-degrees F at night time and not greater than 77-degrees F at the hotest part of the day).
    • Maintaining the proper humidity, by daily misting (no less than 60% for the most part).
    Viv maintenance is VERY easy, too. The PDF's waste (poop) is very small in size and it acts as a fertilizer for the live plants in the viv. It's kind of a self sustaining eco system. I know guys who have had viv's well over 5 years and have NEVER done anything to them other than pruning of the live plants.

The main staple for PDF's in captivity is Fruit Flies (FF) or Springtails. I culture my own FF's with VERY little trouble.

Do NOT be afraid of trying to keep these little "Gems" of the jungle. If you're looking for real some "nuts and bolts" of keeping PDF's stop over at www.dendroboard.com There are some REAL nice folks over there that will educate you and help you along the way. If you stop by there look me up, "DartMan".

One last comment, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT doing any running water feature in your firts viv. They are high maintenance and a ROYAL pain in the booty. Contrary to some folk's thoughts out there, PDF's don't need running water or pools of water to survive.

All the Best!
    Last edited by BPdad; 09-06-2006 at 11:08 PM.
    Lon
    1.0.0 Ball Python, 0.1.0 Normal Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Fluorescent Orange Corn Snake, 0.1.0 Striped Motley Anery Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Albino Checkered Garter Snake
    1.1.0 D. tinctorius: Surinam Cobalt, 0.0.2 D. azureus
    1.0.0 White's Tree Frog
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1.0 Weimaraner

Thanks

Really nice setups you have; are those all real plants? Wow.
    Awesome Darts too; my friend has some at her store, and I love just watching them eat.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Wow, Old thread revival.

I still don't have any. However, given the amount of time I spent talking with Pete (one of the dart frog dealers at the swap) I'll be getting some eventually.

Heck, I know what species I want. Dendrobates leucomelas

http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2...tore_Code=BJTS

It won't be for quite a while though. I have enough animals to take care of now as it is!

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, those are real plants. The only ones that have not made out too well since those pics were taken are the air plants (lower left corner, upper left corner, lower right). It's just way to humid (70%-80%) for them to survive. I have no idea why you see those plants as good viv plants for PDF vivariums.

Schlyne, the D. leucs are GREAT! My son and I jsut went togther and bought two at the last Hamburg Reptile Show. They are a real neat PDF. I understand once they mature they call alot. That should be cool seeing how we put them on my son's rack system in his bedroom.
    Last edited by BPdad; 09-10-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Lon
    1.0.0 Ball Python, 0.1.0 Normal Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Fluorescent Orange Corn Snake, 0.1.0 Striped Motley Anery Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Albino Checkered Garter Snake
    1.1.0 D. tinctorius: Surinam Cobalt, 0.0.2 D. azureus
    1.0.0 White's Tree Frog
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1.0 Weimaraner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast