Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,798

1 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

baby beardie wont drink

I've had my new baby bearded dragon for about a week at this point and the time that I've had him he has drank water once and I'm worried about him becoming dehydrated. He eats his greens just fine so maybe he's getting the water he needs from them? I doubt it though. He might have drank when I gave him a bath yesterday when I had looked away for a second and he did lick a little bit of water off my fingers when I offered it to him but he only took a few drops. He's looking fine, so far he's not showing signs of dehydration. If anyone has tips for me about what I should do please let me know.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    My daughter has had a bearded dragon for two years. I have never seen it drink.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-02-2017 at 12:19 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Beardies live in arid climates in the wild. They do tend to get a lot of the moisture they need from food as they don't often have a chance to just straight up drink from a fresh, cool water source in their lives. Unless you see obvious signs of dehydration or behaviors that would cause concern, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he's got access to the water and wants to drink, he'll drink.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 05-02-2017 at 12:33 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

ReptileMan259 (05-02-2017)

Thanks

Re: baby beardie wont drink

If you aren't already doing so, you can mist the greens for added hydration. Many bearded dragons won't drink from water bowls because it's not natural for them (chameleons usually won't use water bowls either). It's hard to tell the difference between this and snakes where they just tend to be secretive about it though! Anyway, he should be fine if you mist your greens and just keep an eye out for signs of dehydration. The water in and on the greens will likely generally be sufficient, but if it is not at any point, you can always give him water via a syringe (drip on the snout).

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

ReptileMan259 (05-04-2017)

Thanks
    We had 3 bearded dragons for around 9 years, I don't think I ever saw any of them drink. Or our ackie monitor either. They all are desert species and tend to get what little water they need from their food. We always made water available, but I wouldn't be worried if they don't use it as long as they seem healthy.

Thanks
    I have 3 beardies and I don't have a water dish for them I just mist their greens and when I clean their enclosure I move them to a container with shallow water in it. sometimes they drink sometimes they don't.

Thanks

Re: baby beardie wont drink

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    If you aren't already doing so, you can mist the greens for added hydration. Many bearded dragons won't drink from water bowls because it's not natural for them (chameleons usually won't use water bowls either). It's hard to tell the difference between this and snakes where they just tend to be secretive about it though! Anyway, he should be fine if you mist your greens and just keep an eye out for signs of dehydration. The water in and on the greens will likely generally be sufficient, but if it is not at any point, you can always give him water via a syringe (drip on the snout).
    I wash his greens every morning and usually keep them wet to keep them from drying out fast. And the other day when I was worried about him, he took a few drops of water off my finger tip. So far he's fine. He's in full shed right now so I think that's why he's a little lethargic right now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ReptileMan259 For This Useful Post:

Kcl (05-04-2017)