Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 477

1 members and 476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Caught Baby Rattlesnake

I was recently up in the mountains and decided to look around a nearby lake for garter snakes. I didn't find anything and got ready to leave, but then spotted and pulled up a few old railroad ties. To my surprise, I found this very small snake. I'm almost 100% sure it's a young diamondback rattlesnake, but I've seen some very convincing gopher snakes around recently. The pupils tipped me off to this guy's ID.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Definitely not a rattlesnake. Seems to be a very interesting looking gopher snake. If you give the exact location and/or some more clearer pics, can probably offer more.

Thanks
    Ohhh, found that I could actually zoom in on that picture, haha. Night snake - Hypsiglena torquata.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-02-2017)

Thanks

Re: Caught Baby Rattlesnake

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Ohhh, found that I could actually zoom in on that picture, haha. Night snake - Hypsiglena torquata.
    Night snake in southern California? I was skeptical about it being a rattlesnake at first as well since I forgot to check for heat pits and just had the pictures to go off later on, but I asked a herper friend and he was adamant that it was one. How can you tell it isn't a rattler?

Thanks
    Ah, I just looked up the night snake, looks like that's what I caught! Thank you for the help, guess I got ahead of myself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FlynnTheBP For This Useful Post:

John1982 (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Wrong body shape, wrong head shape, wrong markings, no rattle(doesn't always mean anything but paired with the first 2, I think you can count it). Google image night snake, I think you'll find your culprit. You can also do a quick google search for a range map for the species, they have a huge range in the west.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,128 Posts
    As a word of advice, there is no trick to identifying venomous snakes other than learning the species themselves. Some venomous snakes dont have heat pits, some do. Some have slit pupils, some don't. Some are fat, some are skinny, they all have different scalation. Those informational 'guides' shouldn't be followed, as every species is very different
    i-m-snek on tumblr
    Spazhime on reddit
    Hardy Reptiles on facebook

The one and only

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Wrong body shape, wrong head shape, wrong markings, no rattle(doesn't always mean anything but paired with the first 2, I think you can count it). Google image night snake, I think you'll find your culprit. You can also do a quick google search for a range map for the species, they have a huge range in the west.
    I see, the head shape also confused me, but I saw a couple pictures online that looked very similar to my little guy. I learn something new everyday. I didn't even think night snakes lived down in this area.
    Last edited by FlynnTheBP; 05-01-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazhime View Post
    As a word of advice, there is no trick to identifying venomous snakes other than learning the species themselves. Some venomous snakes dont have heat pits, some do. Some have slit pupils, some don't. Some are fat, some are skinny, they all have different scalation. Those informational 'guides' shouldn't be followed, as every species is very different
    Thanks, I kind of jumped right in to the rattlesnake conclusion...guess I need to get better at IDing and find a new friend to ask about herps...