Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,289

2 members and 1,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Baby Burmese Behavior - Typical?

A friend had to quickly move last week and couldn't take her four month old baby albino Burmese python with her. So, guess who ended up with it?

This baby was described as "aggressive". Nope, she's defensive. I've tamed down plenty of defensive babies, including BRB's, BCI's, retics, and a yellow anaconda, so I figured this would be more of the same. At least she has tiny teeth.

Getting her in-hand is straightforward - distract her with an empty paper towel roll while I scoop her up from behind. She hisses and snaps but she's more bluff and puff than bite.

Getting her off my hand is not easy. When it's time to go back home every other defensive baby I've worked with couldn't wait to run away, especially if I pointed their head toward a hide. This girl just takes a solid wrap on my wrist and stays put while talking smack. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to encourage her to leave my hand. Also, when she does finally move more often than not it's along my arm instead of away from me.

So, is the latter behavior typical of the species or is this little girl just weird?
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-30-2017 at 12:52 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Baby Burmese Behavior - Typical?

Sounds about right to me, almost all of the baby burms I hatched out we're the same lol
    Even the one I kept likes to grip my hand when I try putting her away or go up my arm.
    I use a small hook to pick her upper half up and then I slide my hand under and lift her up gently,she is a little hissy still too lol
    she will relax more with regular short handling, just got to built trust.

Sent from my LGL39C using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks, it looks like its a quirk of the species then. Fortunately getting her in-hand is easy, it's getting her to let go when handling time is over that's challenging!

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Thats to bad she is defensive.. I haven't met any 4 month old snappy burms.. Ive seen them snappy for the first couple days and after that as docile as a kitten... Is there a chance its a Dwarf because as you know thats another ball game lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Is there a chance its a Dwarf because as you know thats another ball game lol.
    I don't think dwarfs come in albino yet, though in a few generations if interstate shipping does open up I expect to see them. Plus she's a respectable size for four months old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Update: this little girl is still quite the pistol and would just as soon bite my nose as run away. There has been some progress but any unexpected movement - even a shadow on the wall or someone walking by on the other side of the room - will set her off.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Update: this little girl is still quite the pistol and would just as soon bite my nose as run away. There has been some progress but any unexpected movement - even a shadow on the wall or someone walking by on the other side of the room - will set her off.
    Thats to bad... Not sure I would be up for that... If my boy went to lunging at me I'd be forced to get rid of him.. Burms ate to powerful for that behavior as far as I'm concerned. Hope things change over the summer or i'd look into rehoming with a facility prepared for such a animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Actually a week ago when I posted that, this little girl was in shed, I just didn't realize it. She also had refused her last meal, which I thought was a result of stress but I think now it was her shed cycle, so she was just in a worse mood than usual.

She ate for me last night and was a lot calmer about everything, though of course I didn't try to pick her up either.

Unfortunately I'm SOL on rehoming her unless I take a pretty substantial road trip; animal control dumps the problem reptiles on me , the nearest 501c3 rescue closed recently, and everyone else calling themselves a rescue is out there begging for free animals so they can quickly be flipped.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-12-2017 at 04:36 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-15-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    OK, I am going to put my 2 cents in here and will say I have never "tamed" a burm but....

I know my albino balls do not see well and while they are not super defensive they can be quite fun on feeding night if the rat is not hotter than me.

So if an animal does not see well, what senses are left to a python? Heat, smell and touch. You can try putting a well worn stinky t-shirt of yours in the enclosure with the animal to get it used to your sent. Always touch the animal with something that smells like you before grabbing it. As long as nothing extremely negative happens during this process the animal "should" begin to associate your smell and the procedure with nothing bad happening to it.

Good luck, a burm with an attitude is not something I would be wanting to deal with when it grows up.

Thanks
    That's an interesting observation about the albinos. I have two Kahl albino boas and a purple albino retic, and have not seen any indications from any of them that they have vision issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast