Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,105

3 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Tub People vs Enclosure People

Quote Originally Posted by ringorock View Post
    Ok. What's going on here? I've always kept my snakes in bowls and bags.
    LOL. When I was a kid, I kept corns in baskets. I'm not kidding either.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-28-2017),kevall1 (04-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevall1 View Post
    I just saw a young lady who set her ball python up in a 20 gallon glass tank. She had hides, clutter, foliage, proper temps, thermostat, thermometers, hydrometers and 3 sides covered.

You would've thought she murdered the pope. This poor girl is basically throwing everything away and moving to a tub because in her words she didn't want to do anything wrong again. I really feel for her. She has one snake. That's a lot of wasted money and lets face it. Some people enjoy creating and aesthetically pleasing environment for their ball pythons. If done properly, your snake can thrive in an enclosure.
    Snakes. Because people are jerks.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-28-2017),kevall1 (04-28-2017),Lizardlicks (04-28-2017),PokeyTheNinja (04-28-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally have all glass now, but would like to switch to PVC display enclosures.

To me, glass works just fine if you are willing to put in the due diligence to know what to do to properly care for your animal. If you're ok with the additional time, effort and potential headaches of glass and want to display your animals I say go for it. As long as the animal is properly cared for I don't see any reason to knock anybody's personal preference of enclosure. Typically, once your husbandry is dialed in, it's just routine maintenance from there and checking things daily to make sure everything is running properly. Then making some seasonal adjustments. Sure, humidity is a little tougher to maintain, especially during the dry, winter months. But if you're willing to take the time and make the appropriate adjustments, what's wrong with that?

That being said, I don't think I'll ever get rid of display enclosures. If the day comes that I have more snakes than time allows for me to properly maintain the glass, I may consider the more time efficient rack setup, but would still keep the majority in display enclosures. I'll cross that bridge then, but will probably limit my collection to what I can maintain in display enclosures.

I like the look of display enclosures and enjoy watching my snakes do what snakes do, even if that means stay in their hides the vast majority of the time.

In my opinion, if you're not capable of making glass work, you're probably going to have husbandry issues regardless of enclosure. It just takes a little homework and a little effort.

Either way, regardless of your choice of enclosure, if your animals are healthy and well taken care of I say you do you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

kevall1 (04-28-2017),PokeyTheNinja (04-28-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I'm curious about the photo attached to the original post - I would assume the corn is in that kritter keeper as it's enclosure is being cleaned but is someone keeping it in there as it's 'tub'? eek!

As others, I have successfully kept a variety of species in both glass enclosures, plastic enclosures and tubs.
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

kevall1 (04-28-2017)

Thanks

Its just a photo that was on Google

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Racks allow me to have 10 plus ball pythons and not have a house full of fish tanks which is nice. I used to use tanks heck i still got them. If i had on or two bp's maybe i'd go back to tanks but i love all my babies so i'm all in on racks. Somebody already mentioned it and i agree that as long as you keep your bp's healthy that should be good enough for tank and tub people to respect each other. Some people think its important to have a nice display tank while others don't to each their own. Just recently somebody on these forums got a new bp that they claimed was living in a shoebox for the last two years. I'm guessing they are referring to tubs or racks. If so i felt that was ignorant.

Take this picture for example people really believe this is terrible. It's not. What i see is a relaxed healthy ball python that was probably getting a drink and to me that equals a happy ball python.

At the end of the day i've realized that's just the way people are gonna be. People just have to be needlessly hostile to each other over simple differences in the reptile world also in general and it's a shame to me.
    Last edited by EDR; 04-29-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

Thanks

If the needs of the snake are met it shouldn't be an issue. I choose a tub because I wanted a younger ball and didn't want to keep changing enclosures as he grows. Eventually I want to have a pvc enclosure so I can have somewhat of a display while still keeping the husbandry benefits of a tub. I've had my Ball 3 weeks now and so far I've had no issues with him in a tub.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmocken For This Useful Post:

kevall1 (04-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EDR View Post
    Racks allow me to have 10 plus ball pythons and not have a house full of fish tanks which is nice. I used to use tanks heck i still got them. If i had on or two bp's maybe i'd go back to tanks but i love all my babies so i'm all in on racks. Somebody already mentioned it and i agree that as long as you keep your bp's healthy that should be good enough for tank and tub people to respect each other. Some people think its important to have a nice display tank while others don't to each their own. Just recently somebody on these forums got a new bp that they claimed was living in a shoebox for the last two years. I'm guessing they are referring to tubs or racks. If so i felt that was ignorant.

Take this picture for example people really believe this is terrible. It's not. What i see is a relaxed healthy ball python that was probably getting a drink and to me that equals a happy ball python.

At the end of the day i've realized that's just the way people are gonna be. People just have to be needlessly hostile to each other over simple differences in the reptile world also in general and it's a shame to me.
    Thanks for your input EDR. I really like what you said about respecting each other. I personally use custom melamine display cages but I plan to also have racks when my collection grows.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

EDR (04-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bmocken View Post
    If the needs of the snake are met it shouldn't be an issue. I choose a tub because I wanted a younger ball and didn't want to keep changing enclosures as he grows. Eventually I want to have a pvc enclosure so I can have somewhat of a display while still keeping the husbandry benefits of a tub. I've had my Ball 3 weeks now and so far I've had no issues with him in a tub.
    Bmocken it sounds to me like you have a good plan. Tubs do make it much easier to provide your ball python with proper care. I don't use them at the moment but that just means more work for me. It doesn't mean my snakes will suffer as long as I do as I should. Besides, I enjoy that part of the hobby and my collection is small enough to easily maintain.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

Bmocken (04-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I personally have all glass now, but would like to switch to PVC display enclosures.

To me, glass works just fine if you are willing to put in the due diligence to know what to do to properly care for your animal. If you're ok with the additional time, effort and potential headaches of glass and want to display your animals I say go for it. As long as the animal is properly cared for I don't see any reason to knock anybody's personal preference of enclosure. Typically, once your husbandry is dialed in, it's just routine maintenance from there and checking things daily to make sure everything is running properly. Then making some seasonal adjustments. Sure, humidity is a little tougher to maintain, especially during the dry, winter months. But if you're willing to take the time and make the appropriate adjustments, what's wrong with that?

That being said, I don't think I'll ever get rid of display enclosures. If the day comes that I have more snakes than time allows for me to properly maintain the glass, I may consider the more time efficient rack setup, but would still keep the majority in display enclosures. I'll cross that bridge then, but will probably limit my collection to what I can maintain in display enclosures.

I like the look of display enclosures and enjoy watching my snakes do what snakes do, even if that means stay in their hides the vast majority of the time.

In my opinion, if you're not capable of making glass work, you're probably going to have husbandry issues regardless of enclosure. It just takes a little homework and a little effort.

Either way, regardless of your choice of enclosure, if your animals are healthy and well taken care of I say you do you.
    Agree 110%. I may use tubs eventually but I'll always have my display cages.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-29-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast