Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

1 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

BP Cypress Substrate?

So, I had a problem keeping my humidity problem up for my juvenile BP, but recently i purchased some Cypress bedding that was a bit moist when i got it out of the bag. I applied it to her cage along with a few succulents and a Pony Tail plant to help, and give her something to interact with. The humidity boosted from 40% to 65% in a matter of minutes, which I'm extremely pleased with. However I'm worried that my snake will get scale rot if its constantly damp like it is? She already has some discoloration on her belly scales; the place i got her from wasn't exactly the best. The last thing i want is for her to get sick, because the whole point was for me to keep from a Respiratory Infection, and I don't want to cause another problem trying to help prevent one.

Thanks

Re: BP Cypress Substrate?

I don't think that will happen. My BP's humidity is always between 50% and 70% and nothing seems to be rotting. I actually think 65% is ideal for BP's.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Szhang For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-27-2017)

Thanks
    Correct humidity, temperatures, and a clean environment will keep your BP from getting scale rot
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_king0347 View Post
    So, I had a problem keeping my humidity problem up for my juvenile BP, but recently i purchased some Cypress bedding that was a bit moist when i got it out of the bag. I applied it to her cage along with a few succulents and a Pony Tail plant to help, and give her something to interact with. The humidity boosted from 40% to 65% in a matter of minutes, which I'm extremely pleased with. However I'm worried that my snake will get scale rot if its constantly damp like it is? She already has some discoloration on her belly scales; the place i got her from wasn't exactly the best. The last thing i want is for her to get sick, because the whole point was for me to keep from a Respiratory Infection, and I don't want to cause another problem trying to help prevent one.
    What other succulents did you add to your tank I've been looking into adding some but I'm not sure which would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to imhumpty For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imhumpty View Post
    What other succulents did you add to your tank I've been looking into adding some but I'm not sure which would be fine.

Unfortunatly my little chubby girl squashed some of the succulents already! I picked up two kinds of Crassula succulents, one a Jade Plant and the other are 4 individual taller like ones. I'm not sure the specific names, but I do know they're not poisonous, handle humidity well, and aren't bothered too much with bright lights, which was the whole reason my pony tail plant was dying!
    Last edited by M_king0347; 04-27-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_king0347 View Post
    Unfortunatly my little chubby girl squashed some of the succulents already! I picked up two kinds of Crassula succulents, one more like a bush and the other are 4 individual taller like ones. I'm not sure the specific names, but I do know they're not poisonous, handle humidity well, and aren't bothered too much with bright lights, which was the whole reason my pony tail plant was dying!
    Do you have pictures of them and I can go by those.

Thanks

Here are the two I have: As you can see the head like ones have been demolished, and I'll be removing them within the next hour or so

Thanks

there is no need to keep it constantly damp for youR BP, your plants may be a different story idk. I let mine dry out for a bit before I spray it down to make it damp again.

However, a constant very slight dampness, as far as my research has shown, should not create scale rot. If it's too damp, like towards soggy, then it can happen. I'm not an expert tho.

remember this tidbit though, depending on what kind of hide you use, the humidity may be well above what it shows in the tank itself.

The uth evaporates the water in the substrate and I know that when I would spray too much and focus on the tank humidity, even when the substrate outside the hide was totally dry and my tank would read 45-50% humidity, inside his hides would still be damp with quite a bit of condensation built up inside of it.

It is a glass aquarium though that can't hold humidity well at all, and I use a CHE so of course this all depends on your individual set up and how it reacts to everything. But keep in mind that where he/she spends 90% of its time may have different moisture levels Than the rest of the tank.

Thanks

I would also recommend using more enclosed hides than the cut in half bark logs if your still using those. something that has one entrance just big enough for him/her to get through and isnt much bigger than they are when wrapped up.

i bought a plastic dog bowl for three bucks and cut a small hole in one side, then sanded down the edges where I cut it so it wasn't sharp.

the dollar tree has better hide options than any pet store I know and for just a buck lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-28-2017)

Thanks

Thank you very much! I've noticed that whenever its day, she'll go to her half log hide on the cold end of her tank, which ill cover up a little to keep humidity. I'll spray her substrate every now and then, but I'll make sure it's not too soggy Those light bulbs and heating mat just destroy her water supply, half of it'll be gone by the next afternoon! I'll have to move her bowl if this keeps up, I can't keep replacing her water like that; considering I only switch her water out every other day, since she's not in shed and hasn't soaked yet