Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,639

2 members and 1,637 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Racking with Leos

It's been a while, but....

Someone on Craigslist has a 10 tier CB70 AP rack, barely used. I'm thinking of housing my 3 ball pythons and 3 leopard geckos in it. The temps are pretty much the same. Good idea or bad idea? Or should I go with a new 3 tier rack for the pythons and keep the leos separate? I was thinking of saving space with a rack.
    Last edited by butterballpython; 04-25-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

Thanks

Re: Racking with Leos

Never mind. I rechecked the required temps, and the leos need their warm side warmer than the ball pythons. This wouldn't work. It would have saved a lot of space, though.

Thanks
    you could always get the rack and modify it so that half the rack is on one heat source (heat tape) and the other on another. Some combination of drilling holes or making slots to allow for a second heat source to be wired in the middle. But if you have the money to buy a new rack most can be stacked.

Thanks
    What about putting the leos on top, where it would be warmer? They need 85-90 degrees for their warm side, and the bps need 78-80.

Thanks

BPs need a 88-92 hot spot.. right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks

I did a quick Google search on bp temps because I was having a space cadet minute. This web site has a care sheet that shows bps need 80-84 on the cool side and 88-94 on the warm side. Gecko Forums care sheet says leos should have temps of 80 or more on the cool side and low to mid 90's on the warm side. It looks like they can use the same temps.
    Last edited by butterballpython; 04-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks

Oh yay! I was wondering because I have seen them racked together before. Hope the new rack works out for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to paintedpythons For This Useful Post:

butterballpython (04-25-2017)

Thanks
    And any herp person can tell you what happens to empty spots on a rack. They don't stay empty for long.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterballpython For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-25-2017),paintedpythons (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Update & need advice:

The rack had been on Craigslist for a month, and he was asking $450. I asked him if he'd take $400, and he said yes if I'd pick it up today, so off I went to Phoenix. It was quite warm in the vehicle because the AC quit. He told me he's off work today and can be home when I get there. At 1:00 I told him I could be there in about three hours. At 3:55 I was in Phoenix and almost to his exit when he told me he was going somewhere and would be back in a few minutes. I ended up waiting for him in a parking lot for over 45 minutes in a definitely-not-good neighborhood.

He brought the rack out on his front lawn with a dolly. It was not almost new, and covered with a thick layer of dust. He told me he'd been using it for his blue tongued skinks, and decided they needed more room. I asked to plug it in to see if it works. He said it works fine and he just unplugged it. We plugged it in. It does not work. It's marked AP (1960) and uses the 1960 tubs and a heat cable, not heat tape. After we plugged it in, we messed with it for nearly an hour and could not get it to heat. There is a section of cord that is flattened, and I mean really flattened and twisted, so I suspect the problem is there. I could probably try splicing that section since it's less than 2 inches, but do want it to be safe. It was very dusty and not working, and I was debating on whether to leave it and waste the 4 hour round trip and just buy a new 3 tier one for my three bp's for $299 or go with this one and try to get it working. I offered him $300 for it and he said OK. He also said he bought it from somebody else.

The rack came with 10 tubs, a Helix thermostat that he can't find the night drop for, and a dimmer on the side that can be used. Tomorrow I'll worry about getting it out of the 4Runner. It's a gecko feeding day and I still need to get that done.

Some months ago I picked up a wooden frame with wheels under it at a yard sale that should fit nicely under a CB70 rack.

Now I have this rack which should clean up nicely and no heat in it. I looked inside it and the heating cord snakes (no pun intended) back and forth and somehow it stays up along the sides. If I were to pull it out and replace it, if I can get a replacement cord, how would I get it to stay along the sides like that again? Some sort of adhesive? Would I need to switch to heat tape? Ideas that involve me using sharp objects to modify this thing to put heat tape down are not likely to happen. I'd like to replace the bad section of cord, and not just splice it, because I want it to be as safe as possible.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments on whether I did bad/did good/have lost my mind/bought something beyond repair?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by butterballpython; 04-26-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks
    Bumping this hoping for advice of the what do I do now variety. I'm off work today, so it's a good day to deal with it. This will be my first rack, no experience at all with these things.

Edited to add:

It looks like this: http://www.apcages.com/home/Iris/cb70.htm
    Last edited by butterballpython; 04-26-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add link