Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,460

1 members and 1,459 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Plants for BP Vivarium?

I recently got my first Reptile ever, my Ball, Missy. Every night since I'd gotten her she's been stretching her body up to touch the top of the screen in her Vivarium nonstop, like she's trying to get out or climb on something. It's not that it bothers me, I just don't want her to burn her nose near the lamps. She'll lean against the glass, and has knocked off my hydrometer so many times the sticky portion won't even work anymore. I have a pony tail plant in there for her to chill on, but it's quickly dying because of my heat lamps. I'd like something to keep the humidity up (Since it's usually only around 40% w/o the plant), and to allow her to climb on and get her nightly jitters out. All I find are websites posting plants that aren't harmful to my snake, and I would appreciate it if I could get some insight from someone who's more experienced with BP care.

Thanks
    My bp does that as well. Reality is, they don't seem to like glass terrariums. He will do it till I encase the enclosure in paper. Then he feels secure and goes into a hide and relaxes. The breeder I got him from recommended that I cover the sides, and uncover 1 side a week so they slowly get use to it. Mine doesn't seem to be getting use to it, so I covered the sides in paper again, and he stays in his hides again.

Thanks

Re: Plants for BP Vivarium?

So is it a matter of being scared? Or simply wanting to explore what they see but they can't quite get to it kinda deal? What kind of paper do you use? Something like construction paper?

Thanks
    Ball Pythons like to hide, so being in a viv with four glass walls will make her feel exposed. I'd suggest blu-tacking paper to the outside of the viv. I would use printer paper, but to be honest I don't think it matters. Another thing to check is your temps and humidity. When we got our girl she moved around CONSTANTLY and we found out it was becuase her temps were off. What are yours currently at?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    Ball Pythons like to hide, so being in a viv with four glass walls will make her feel exposed. I'd suggest blu-tacking paper to the outside of the viv. I would use printer paper, but to be honest I don't think it matters. Another thing to check is your temps and humidity. When we got our girl she moved around CONSTANTLY and we found out it was becuase her temps were off. What are yours currently at?
    For my temps I can't seem to get them at a constant rate, especially where I live at. I was pretty surprised when she ate the moment I brought the mouse to her because I heard they can be picky about that! I like to keep it in a range of 88-92 like I saw on a care sheet, but sometimes it'll get to 95 or so but only for a while. I use a heater mat(which isn't very big at all) and two bulbs, one for heat in the morning and the other at night to give her a proper cycle. As for her humidity, it's still all messed up, and no matter what I do I just can't keep it up, and I would like to avoid a RI if I can. Could her restlessness be because of her humidity problems maybe along with the insecurity?
    Last edited by M_king0347; 04-25-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks
    It would be best to try and get up the humidity and have regular temperatures, yes. Like I said, we struggled at first to keep our temps and we ended up buying two heat mats, one to give a cold side to the viv and another for the hot side because the ambient temp. in our room was just too cold. I'm no expert though, and I have no experience with raising humidity, so you'll have to ask someone with more experience than me Best of luck for the future!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-25-2017)

Thanks
    I just use printer paper on the sides of my terrarium. Any kind of paper should work tho. From my understanding, they want to feel hidden and secure. They dont seem to care about exploring outside of the tank. If you watch any BP video on youtube or take your snake out and observe it. You will notice they typically dont wanna "explore" as much as they're just ALWAYS looking for a good place to hide.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MmmBanana For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-25-2017)

Thanks

There's some threads on here about upping humidity for a tank. I tried covering mine with foil, great results, and changed to coconut fiber over aspen too. Find what works for you but I found every thing I needed with the search function on this site. Hope that helps ^_^

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FNG For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    9 times out of 10. Temp problem == tank, Humidity problem == tank, Restless Animal == tank

I see a trend.....

Please look through the sticky threads on this page. All the answers are there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    You can make tanks work, but they certainly aren't intuitive the way other enclosures are. Just like you can fix a lot of things with duct tape and have it "work", yeah it gets the job done, but it's going to be a never ending fight of tweaks and modifications, and more fixes.

If you can post pics of your set up, we can troubleshoot better. Written descriptions always seem to miss things; for instance I can't see where you say if you are regulating your heat source. Remember that only the warm side of your BP's enclosure should be upper 88s to low 90s. Ambient should be 78 - 80. Heat mat needs to be regulated by a t-stat or else it can get over 120 and burn your snake. I would ditch the light bulbs and go with a single ceramic heat emitter.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 04-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (04-25-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast