Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 764

0 members and 764 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Kids are asking for hamsters. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bmocken View Post
    Have they ever had a hamster? My kids wanted a hamster until they hamster sat for a weekend for a friend. Hamster kept them up all night doing what hamsters do by running in his wheel. The cage also needed cleaned because it smelled. After that I never heard another word about hamsters. Now on the plus side you could look into the possibility of your snake eating hamsters (not really sure that's possible) and that would cut down on food costs.
    Pet sitting would be a good idea. I have worried about the noise and smell. Yep, the Bredli might provide a solution!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LightningPython View Post
    I had a hamster years ago. She was my first *real* pet. Before that it was just tarantulas and fish.
    She used to keep us up all night by chewing on the bars of her cage, but my god she was just so cute and friendly!
    She never bit me but she did bite my brother a lot :3

If you are looking to get one, maybe keep it in a aquarium or something so there are no bars to chew, and lots of room for it to dig and move around. Those plastic cages you buy in stores are often wayyy too small.
    Good to know. I was thinking when the BPs outgrew their starter enclosures I could use them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Much like reptiles, pretty much nothing they sell in pet shops is really appropriate for rodents except maybe some of the toys and hides.

Here's a neat DIY hamster cage built out of a tub. If you're keeping your snakes in tubs already, might as well use a spare one for your hamster!

Thank you!
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks
    Be careful, unless you one that is already tame, it will bit until it is tamed. I'm speaking of typical pet store hamsters. My Syrian bit me for 1 whole week before she finally warmed up.

Supervision and gloves are a must. Get a Syrian for a first hamster, any species of dwarf will be lost in a week if its owned by children, trust me.
    Your children most likely won't get to see the hamster much, they are nocturnal and undoubtedly if they have a bedtime, that's going to be broken every single night trying to play with little hammy as soon as he wakes.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    Be careful, unless you one that is already tame, it will bit until it is tamed. I'm speaking of typical pet store hamsters. My Syrian bit me for 1 whole week before she finally warmed up.

Supervision and gloves are a must. Get a Syrian for a first hamster, any species of dwarf will be lost in a week if its owned by children, trust me.
    Your children most likely won't get to see the hamster much, they are nocturnal and undoubtedly if they have a bedtime, that's going to be broken every single night trying to play with little hammy as soon as he wakes.
    Oh boy, yeah, breaking bedtime to play could be a problem.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

I had a couple a long time ago and they are as destructive as they are adorable. My first was extremely aggressive and the second was worse but you just got to handle them for a day or two with thick leather gloves and they learn they are not getting anywhere with that so they stop doing it. It's that easy to train them.

As for activity, well yes they are nocturnal and they will move and chew and scratch everything making an ungodly noise all night long. So be prepared for that. LOL At some nights I was very close to killing them but then I saw their mouths full of food and the cute look in their eyes and they stand in their back feet looking at you and they're so adorable that I just went back to try to sleep when they use their hands to push all the food out of their cheeks is just so hilarious.

They will bite everything and they leave little round markings. And although my parents wanted to throw me out with the hamster after it chewed their bed , some years after we look at the marking and remember that little cute bugger and laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

You can also see if she is interested in gerbils. You will need two but from what I gather they tend to be a bit more hand tame naturally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123