Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,731

1 members and 2,730 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Thermometer/Hygrometer Recomendations

Hello, I'm wondering what other thermometers/hygrometers people have been using.
    I have a temp gun (that I love) and Acurites (this model: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00891...e+thermometers ) but I'm really not a fan of my "readings", maybe because my Acurites are a bit older and they aren't that accurate compared to my temp gun, I'm not sure...
    So.. If you wonderful people could post some hygrometers and/or thermostats you use, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    For the accurite, the body of the device needs to be inside the enclosure in order to read the humidity, the probe only reads temperature.

Temperatures I read with a temp gun entirely. The thermostat determines the temperature of my heating element, the temp gun gives me temperatures for the substrate. I have an accurite on my wall for measuring air temperature in the room.

Humidity is measured inside tubs by the good/bad method. It's good if sheds are clean and there isn't condensation. It's bad if sheds are bad or there is condensation.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Re: Thermometer/Hygrometer Recomendations

Okay so that's what's been happening, I didn't put it inside, just the probe. Yeah, my go to for measuring temps is the temp gun. I knew my humidity couldn't be as low as it says because I've only ever had perfect sheds, from both of my snakes. Plus I use a blend of eco earth and reptichips, have the water mainly on the hot side, and all of that jazz. Even reached condensation at one point, but fixed that immediately Still not entirely liking the design of my model though. I guess I'm looking for an "upgrade".

Thanks
    I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JR0PCTI/

It has worked great, and even records highs and low temps/humidity.
    Last edited by Sallos; 04-20-2017 at 08:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sallos For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    Your best bet is to stop trying to measure your humidity. If you want some kind of probe means of measuring it, you're going to be paying WAAY more than the information is worth.

If your setup requires no humidity adjustment on your end to maintain your snakes, you're fine. Just do the good/bad test and do microadjustments to tweek it until you only need to adjust it a few times a year. My own snakes have a high and low humidity adjustment. One side of their tubs has 4 1/4" holes in it. During the winter the holes point in on my rack, which increases the humidity in the tub relative to the room. During the summer the holes point out, which decreases the humidity in the tub to approach that of the room. It requires no intervention on my part, condensation translates to defication/urination. Which is exactly what I want.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

ssmith73 (12-10-2018)