Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,815

1 members and 2,814 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Moving with snake room

We'll be listing our house this summer and I'm curious how other people with large collections have made a move. I dont have anyone that can or I trust to house my collection during the process so thats out. I'm more hoping that people viewing the house arent turned off by the snake room. I keep it immaculate so smell isnt an issue or anything gross. The smallest bedroom/office is where I have all of my racks. I'm thinking of just throwing sheets over the racks for when people want to view the house. Any other suggestions? Unfortunately we have to sell this place before we can buy our next so having them moved into the new house first isnt an option either.

Thanks

Re: Moving with snake room

Can you rent some storage space as a temporary option? Even if for a month it is probably worth eliminating the potential for losing a sale due to people's snake phobias. So many people make decisions to buy based on feel rather than logic - you may lose quite a few opportunities if you show with snakes. Or cover them only to have a potential buyer lift the shroud and then find an unexpected surprise. Just my two cents though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I guess renting somewhere could be an option but that would be very expensive and caring for them would be a pain. Plus I wouldnt want to deal with that for possibly a couple months depending how long it takes to sell/ move. I do have a relative I just realized I can ask that has an empty bedroom off of their finished basement but I'm pretty sure they wont want it filled with snakes. these are the times I get so annoyed with peoples irrational fears but guess I knew that getting into the hobby.

Thanks
    At the very least, some sheets and some empty boxes over or around it might work. People can assume you are getting ready to move and couldn't have everything perfectly staged while currently living in it.

Much better than them seeing actual snakes. The thought of loose snakes, etc... Will likely not leave some buyers minds. Good luck!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (04-20-2017)

Thanks

Or just leave that room off limits. I've gone to look at houses where the people kept their large aggressive dog in a bedroom and we couldn't go in. You can take a picture of the room so they know what it looks like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Or just leave that room off limits. I've gone to look at houses where the people kept their large aggressive dog in a bedroom and we couldn't go in. You can take a picture of the room so they know what it looks like.

Hmm I feel like that might make it seem "scarier"? Plus there's a neat reading nook connected to the room that I remember being one of the reasons I wanted to buy this place so I'd rather have e it be able to be seen.

Thanks

Well you'd want to provide a reason why they couldn't go in, not just block them out. The reason just wouldn't be the room is filled with icky slimy serpents.

You can also move your collection to a part of the house you don't mind blocking off. Just throwing out ideas. All depends on the buyer - will they be more turned off by your collection or from not seeing some room.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    At the very least, some sheets and some empty boxes over or around it might work. People can assume you are getting ready to move and couldn't have everything perfectly staged while currently living in it.

Much better than them seeing actual snakes. The thought of loose snakes, etc... Will likely not leave some buyers minds. Good luck!
    I think this is your best bet if you can't empty the house. In my area, empty houses sell quick. It is unlikely that having any pets in large numbers are going to be looked on favorably by buyers. I know if someone had a rat colony in their house I would not buy it. Too large a chance one has gotten loose and it can cost thousands to get rid of rat damage. Whether we like it or not, most people do not like snakes, so they either need to be gone or hidden if you expect to sell quickly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

rock (04-20-2017)

Thanks

Probably should look into renting a storage facility for the time being. While inconvenient for taking care of them and cost, it is worth it. The amount you will spend on renting a storage area would end up being less then taking a hit on the price of the house. The longer it's on the market the more likely you are to drop the price.

Thanks
    If i was looking at a house i would want to see everything before i committed to a property. I think trying to hide it could potentially go bad as well as being outright honest with people about the snakes. If i were you i would try to feel the people out before making that judgment. If they don't seem likely to be ok with it i would just say the room is off bounds, i liked the dog idea personally.

If they seem cool i would just bring them in and say this stuff would be all moved out it is some of my reptile hobby equipment. However this is all based on the notion that you are showing the place off not a real estate person, or that you'll be around to supervise. I would lock the room up if i was not there 100 % of the time and just tell the people that it was personal storage space until the house had been moved out of. Having pictures so people can see the room would be a good idea if you go this route.

Good Luck with the move and keep us posted with what you decide and how it works out. In my area houses go fast, buyers would look past that sort of thing if they liked the house but not everywhere is the same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast