Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,576

0 members and 2,576 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

View Poll Results: Should I re-home him?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

1 5.56%
  • Yes

15 83.33%
  • Up to you

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Ornate nile monitor help

Quick back story. My ex-roommate bought a Nile monitor without doing any research what so ever. Thinking it would be a cool pet to have. And im talking almost 2 years ago now. He got him when he was maybe a couple of weeks old. He wants him to keep at a 'primal level' because that is what he connects with. When they first moved in and got him they never once cleaned out his terrarium. until he had to be transferred to a bigger one. and don't get me started on the water dish. I have been taking care of him since November of last year since they moved out. they left him with my roommates and myself because they figured it would be cheaper care in the long run. they are planning a trip that they are gonna be on for a few short months, and the only thing that they have really done to help this lizard is help me transfer him so that we could clean out his cage. The only research that they have seem to have done is interaction with the poor big man. And knowing that they might not actually keep him after the 2 year mark (being almost fully grown). I want to try and find an actual home for him that can properly take care of him. I know I am not taking the best care of him but it's better than what they had him in. I want to find someone that will make him happy. Legal wise I know he now belongs to me because I have been taking care of him since November and once they are on their trip I should be able to legally re-home him. would anyone be able to help me find out if this might be possible? He surpisingly does not hiss to much when he's picked up but does thrash around and bites. and when he is placed in a diffrent spot to hold him he calms down rather quickly. The temps are wrong, we are using a mulch/ wood chip blend, (their choice not mine). and his home isn't as big as it could be. it's not even really the quarter of the recommended size.I am mad at myself and them

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Ornate nile monitor help

Quote Originally Posted by odyn View Post
    I have been taking care of him since November of last year since they moved out.
    so not only do they not take care of the animal, they don't even keep it in their own home? of course you can re-home him! you said so yourself that you are not giving him the best care; most people don't ever realize this with their pets until they're sick/dying/dead. it's very commendable of you to look into re-homing him, but if you're willing to cut ties with those previous owners and try your best to give this guy a good home yourself, i'm sure you could do it.

if you use facebook, try to find local reptile/herpetology groups and see if they can point you in the right direction for re-homing or advice.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

odyn (04-18-2017),Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Good luck rehoming a near adult lizard. Most of the people that get them have no idea what they are getting into, then they have a sink or swim moment in time and will either rise up to meet the demands of the reptile, or just not. It looks like you're friend is in the or just not camp.

With a bioactive soil setup, you can get away with just spot cleaning the enclosure. Definitely suggested if you keep it.

Legally speaking, I feel your friend could take action against you for rehoming their lizard, whether it sticks or not is up to the judge.

Honestly, I have no idea what you should do, if it's close to the adult size of 6' then you're pretty much boned
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

odyn (04-18-2017)

Thanks

Angry Re: Ornate nile monitor help

I'm trying to keep them from finding out that i'm trying to re home him. They also don't have their own place right now, they are living out of a van until after their trip. their dad is almost done building his restaurant they are living in the parking lot until it's open. when it is they are gone for a few short months. they visit the house every so often to try and keep the law on their side, but I don't even think that works. I am pissed at them.

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm trying to keep them from finding out that i'm trying to re home him. They also don't have their own place right now, they are living out of a van until after their trip. their dad is almost done building his restaurant they are living in the parking lot until it's open. when it is they are gone for a few short months. they visit the house every so often to try and keep the law on their side, but I don't even think that works. I am pissed at them.
    I'm sorry...they live in a van, are taking a vacation and own a large nile monitor they know nothing about nor can care for. Balls in your court, get that lizard a good home, they don't really have a leg to stand on in my view, even if they attempted to somehow come after you legally.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-18-2017),odyn (04-18-2017),Oxylepy (04-18-2017),tttaylorrr (04-18-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Sounds like an abandoned pet to me. There are organizations that will take care of that type of thing. Sucks for the lizard but if you do not want to take care of it, I would tell your "friends" they need to take care of it or you are going to call animal control. It is people like your "friends" that make life suck for the responsible people in the hobby.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-19-2017),dylan815 (10-06-2017),Erie_herps (11-03-2021),odyn (04-18-2017),Oxylepy (04-18-2017),tttaylorrr (04-18-2017)

Thanks

Do you think a zoo might take him? and if so any suggestions?

Thanks
    If you do rehome it, do yourself a favor and document everything. If you have old messages from your friend asking you to care for it, as well as any messages with them you have, its living conditions, any sort of enclosure pictures from the old living conditions, etc. Essentially anything that shows how long it was in your care, and that it is not being adequately cared for on their end (too small of an enclosure is big here).

As for sending it to the zoo, call them and ask who to get in touch with, or about the zoo taking it. If you can get in touch with their reptile area's people that's where you wanna be.

Then you can look into shelter options and reptile rescues if that fails
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (04-18-2017),odyn (04-18-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you think a zoo might take him? and if so any suggestions?
    what state are you in?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

odyn (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    of course you can re-home him!

No. The monitor does not belong to the OP even if the prior owner is a homeless deadbeat.

OP send the owner a certified letter stating that he has until X date - pick something about two weeks away - to come get the monitor or you will be sending it to animal control or to a reptile rescue. I would also start looking now for reptile rescues to see which ones are capable of taking it, not all can. Similarly not all animal control agencies are set up for reptiles, you may want to check yours to see if they can handle a monitor.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

odyn (04-18-2017),Oxylepy (04-18-2017),zina10 (04-24-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast