Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

2 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs down My video review of the Freedom Breeder snake rack 1020-70 (2017). Didn't like it!

Hello everyone,

Here's my review of the freedom breeder snake rack 1020-70.

Part 1:

I didn't like it at all and I regret not having purchased from ARS instead. One of the reason why I bought from freedom breeder was that they said it would only take 5-10 to assemble and ARS said their cage would take 2-3 hours. Well this freedom breeder rack took me at least two hours and it's still not assembled.

I'll be returning this one and getting the ARS hybrid instead.

Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leocrespo For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: My video review of the Freedom Breeder snake rack 1020-70 (2017). Didn't like it!

Part 2 here, the site doesn't let me put two videos in the same message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv7V-uvLeec

4. The Following User Says Thank You to leocrespo For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Hrm. I feel that deciding to purchase the rack based on the time it would take to assemble may have been a bad idea. Honestly construction time is relatively subjective. Downloading the construction manual may have been a better means to make the decision.

Now, cost comparisons, quality comparisons, and the reviews of others would be very helpful.

End result of this is we have a review pointing to be cautious about assembly times. I hope it serves to warn others effectively. Thank you for your review.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

leocrespo (04-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: My video review of the Freedom Breeder snake rack 1020-70 (2017). Didn't like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    Hrm. I feel that deciding to purchase the rack based on the time it would take to assemble may have been a bad idea. Honestly construction time is relatively subjective. Downloading the construction manual may have been a better means to make the decision.

Now, cost comparisons, quality comparisons, and the reviews of others would be very helpful.

End result of this is we have a review pointing to be cautious about assembly times. I hope it serves to warn others effectively. Thank you for your review.
    I'm returning this rack because:

1. the frame is rusting. It's a "rust-free" stainless steel brand new rack and it's already rusting. Freedom Breeder told me to remove the rust with WD40.
    2. the tubs are all damaged and scratched (check the video)
    3. Ventilation sheets are also damaged (check video part 2) and can't be removed (part 1)

If you make $100/h and one rack takes 5-10 min to assemble and another 3h, then the second rack costs $300 more.

I agree with you, I should have looked assembly instructions. However surprise surprise, there are no instructions whatsoever with freedom breeder; not with the rack or on their site. Not a single manual to download.

Cheers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leocrespo For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    I watched a bit of it before (sorry, I'm just one of those people -_-)

When you mentioned the rust in the video that's a really bad sign considering it's going to be kept in a moderate to high humidity which means substantial rust.

Them telling you to just clean it off is a seriously bad sign.
    Scratched tubs are pretty bad (I could have lived with them but whatever)
    Not being able to remove the ventilation sheets looked pretty annoying.
    Now, the castors being that difficult to put on could have been a good sign (new nuts and bolts can be difficult), but there were too many other red flags in there.

Did you happen to order a discounted used rack? Because with the rust and the scratches, and the vents it looked like a used rack.

Oh lord... video 2 of the vent sheet was absolutely terrible. That build quality is a lot less than I would expect for something that runs with those price tags.
    Personally I would suggest reptile basics racks. If it turns out you can get an equal amount of tubs for less cost, I personally recommend their pre-built racks
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 04-18-2017 at 02:08 AM.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

leocrespo (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    There shouldn't be rust, for sure. About the tubs, that may be how they come off assembly? Not sure.

However, the thermostat mount is easily explained in a picture on their website, under the link for the item.

Same for the divider. It creates a "hide". You punch out the circle at the size you need. Smaller one for smaller snakes (smaller opening) Or the bigger one for bigger snakes. It explains it (with pictures) under the link for that item.

About the power strips, there is no actual "way" to do it. That is because everyone's room is set up different. Some would want it vertical, or left or right, higher, lower. You use screws or velcro to mount it wherever it is convenient for you.

The casters, yup, the heavy duty are a pain to put on, but you don't want cheap ones. A good tool does make a difference. The tool you bought you will use for countless other projects. I have that one in all kinds of sizes Casters are usually never assembled on which ever item you buy. It makes shipping more difficult and expensive.

About those panels, that is a weird one. They say they are removable. So it should be easier and they should fit. Although, it almost looked like it didn't slide all the way in because of the bow in the back, it caught in front of the lip. Perhaps you have to lift it over the lip and it will slide all the way in. It looks like the other people that make similar racks use the same material, that is rather flexible. The other manufacture makes theirs "non removable". Perhaps that is why? Because they aren't easy to slide in all the way because of the "bow" in the material. Still...they should answer you how you are supposed to remove and re-insert them easily.

Just make sure that the things that bother you about that rack won't actually be similar with the next rack. Good casters are good casters, no matter who you buy the rack from. They buy casters elsewhere. The tubs are used by several rack makers. Make sure they don't just come that way? I don't know, never had them...
    And the slide out ventilation. The other racks have them non removable, so are you ok with that? Over "hard to remove" or perhaps figure out a easier way to do it (if that exists)

My main issue would be the rust and their "fix" for that.

Btw. I have never had a rack from them nor have I seen them in person. Or from that other place you mentioned. I just had a quick peek at their websites out of curiosity
    Last edited by zina10; 04-18-2017 at 02:25 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

leocrespo (04-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    I watched a bit of it before (sorry, I'm just one of those people -_-)

Did you happen to order a discounted used rack? Because with the rust and the scratches, and the vents it looked like a used rack.

Oh lord... video 2 of the vent sheet was absolutely terrible. That build quality is a lot less than I would expect for something that runs with those price tags.
    Personally I would suggest reptile basics racks. If it turns out you can get an equal amount of tubs for less cost, I personally recommend their pre-built racks
    No, the rack is 100% brand new.

They busted everyone else's racks saying they are "American Quality", that I was paying a premium because of the premium quality and so son. There is not a single part of this rack that does not have a problem. 100% NOT recommended.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to leocrespo For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: My video review of the Freedom Breeder snake rack 1020-70 (2017). Didn't like it!

Video review part 2:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to leocrespo For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    There is actually a older thread on ARS vs Freedom

Seems that ARS is much better liked overall.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ighlight=Racks
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Wow, talk about finding things to complain about!

If you have no background in putting anything together then buy something else. The casters? Really? If you have worked with tools before that is no problem. And the power cord is easy to install with a drill bit screws. Put it where you want it.

The ventilation sheets on the second video is hitting the back "foots" of that level. Press it with one finger in from the side and it will fit good again. Or take out the tub under it and use your hand to guide it in place.
    It is some scratches in it yes, I have ordered plastic sheets for one of my projects before, and they was the same way. Because that shiny plastic will scratch easily. I think FB order those plastic ventilation sheets from another company. But does the scratches make them trash?
    Same with the scratches in the tubs. Will you ever see it besides when you are cleaning the tubs?

I can´t wait to read the new tread about how horrible ARS racks are when you get one of those! For each level you need to put some plastic connectors to hold it together. PS: Before you start on that, go out and buy a hammer. You will need it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast