Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

2 members and 2,857 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Russian rat snake breeders?

Anyone know anyone who currently has russian rat snakes available?

I messaged Ken Foose and he won't have some to sell until mid to late July. But I actually have my set up ready for a young one right now.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Over the course of a year, ken seems to have at least one of everything...just not all at once.
    I am always tempted by his odd ball listings.
    Those Russian rats are very pretty.

Thanks

Re: Russian rat snake breeders?

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Over the course of a year, ken seems to have at least one of everything...just not all at once.
    I am always tempted by his odd ball listings.
    Those Russian rats are very pretty.
    Yeah, it seems! I wish more people bred them. I also messaged Zerkle, and they also won't have any available until July or so.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just have to keep you're eye out. Unfortunately the hobby isn't as varied as it used to be. (IE everything is ball pythons now) So people actually producing the "miscellaneous" snakes are a lot more rare. Keep some money to the side and be ready to pounce when the babies start hitting faunaclassifieds and kingsnake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    Just have to keep you're eye out. Unfortunately the hobby isn't as varied as it used to be. (IE everything is ball pythons now) So people actually producing the "miscellaneous" snakes are a lot more rare. Keep some money to the side and be ready to pounce when the babies start hitting faunaclassifieds and kingsnake.
    Yeah! I don't know if it has to do with specific russian rat snake breeding periods, but it seems like everyone's having young snakes available mid-summer for some reason. I've got my money right here! They seem like they're bought so fast.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Yeah! I don't know if it has to do with specific russian rat snake breeding periods, but it seems like everyone's having young snakes available mid-summer for some reason. I've got my money right here! They seem like they're bought so fast.
    Thats just the breeding rotation for most colubrids bud. It'll be like that till people get tired of Ball Pythons.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

I can't understand why there aren't more people breeding them !!! They are so hard to find and like you said, once available, they sell out FAST.
    They are such fun and lovely snakes, too, so easy to keep. Unless the house is real cold, you don't even need to worry about heating or a thermostat. A bit of light to light up the cage is all that is needed, they will go bask under it if they want it warmer. If anything, they shouldn't be kept to warm.

They are usually hanging out, watching what is going on. Not hard on the eyes once they grow up, either. I believe I have heard of albinos, too.

You should try to get a pair and breed them eventually so more of us can get them

Have you asked whether he can hold one for you ?
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

There's always going to be a "popular" species that takes the lion's share of space at reptile expos. That's what these events are for after all, selling animals and supplies to other folks. If you are producing colubrids and everyone at the show seems to be looking for royals, you're going to find other venues or maybe trade a portion of your stock for what's in demand. Before royals it was corn snakes, now hognose snakes are gaining in popularity. Sure, there are more people producing ball pythons than probably all other species combined but that certainly doesn't mean there are any less people producing the other stuff. I'm not sure how having more people interested in reptiles, whatever species draws them in, can be construed as a negative anyway. The more people with a vested interest in reptiles, the easier it is for us to fight nonsense legislation. Consider where the hobby might be today, what you could legally keep even, if it weren't for this one species with such a massive following. As for finding those "miscellaneous" snakes, if you're looking for pigeons, you ain't gonna find them staring down rabbit holes.

Thats just the breeding rotation for most colubrids bud. It'll be like that till people get tired of Ball Pythons.
    You seem to be harboring a bit of resentment, friend. How does ball python popularity affect colubrid breeding cycles exactly?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-19-2017),redshepherd (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Anyone know anyone who currently has russian rat snakes available?

I messaged Ken Foose and he won't have some to sell until mid to late July. But I actually have my set up ready for a young one right now.
    . Send Sylphie a private message. She is a member here but doesn't come on very much. I am pretty sure she breeds them. She may be out of the country though as in exporting and such. Maybe she can steer you in the right direction here in the U.S.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (04-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I can't understand why there aren't more people breeding them !!! They are so hard to find and like you said, once available, they sell out FAST.
    They are such fun and lovely snakes, too, so easy to keep. Unless the house is real cold, you don't even need to worry about heating or a thermostat. A bit of light to light up the cage is all that is needed, they will go bask under it if they want it warmer. If anything, they shouldn't be kept to warm.

They are usually hanging out, watching what is going on. Not hard on the eyes once they grow up, either. I believe I have heard of albinos, too.

You should try to get a pair and breed them eventually so more of us can get them

Have you asked whether he can hold one for you ?
    It's funny, I wonder why more people don't breed them if there seems to be a higher demand for them than the supply?? Weird!

and yes, I heard! They seem so easy but very rewarding and one of the only snakes I consistently see keepers describe as inquisitive and "likes" handling. So interesting!

I just saw someone selling a clutch of albinos on facebook, and messaged him, but didn't get a reply. So I'm assuming he already sold out LOL.

Haha I'll see about breeding them tbh! I haven't asked yet, since that would mean I need to put down a deposit... But if I can find another available right now, then that would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    . Send Sylphie a private message. She is a member here but doesn't come on very much. I am pretty sure she breeds them. She may be out of the country though as in exporting and such. Maybe she can steer you in the right direction here in the U.S.
    Thanks, I'll send her a message and hope she comes on lol!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 04-19-2017 at 06:16 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-19-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast