Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,122

2 members and 3,120 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Finally got pics of the female Baird's

http://imgur.com/gallery/XQl9Y

A few days ago I got some great pictures of Ricky, Lucy wasn't so angry today so I got some great pictures of her. The difference between her and Ricky is that her metallic blue coloration is much more pronounced.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-15-2017),distaff (04-15-2017),John1982 (04-15-2017),rock (04-14-2017)

Thanks

Re: Finally got pics of the female Baird's

Wow, thats a really cool snake

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gc99 View Post
    Wow, thats a really cool snake

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Super! One day I will have pair of these. They have been on my radar for a while now. Thanks for sharing.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I really don't understand why they aren't more popular. Such incredible looking snakes!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Very cool!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I really don't understand why they aren't more popular. Such incredible looking snakes!
    I think it is due to a few primary factors.

1. As babies they look like {insert generic rat snake species}. They are small and cute but in reality nothing really draws people to them they are grey with banding patterns.

2. They are quite variable, my female is more metallic looking, my male has a lot more red/orange to him and with a light brown/silver snake as a baby you aren't guaranteed anything. There are blah specimens out there and there are really only a few people working with lines.

3. Little to no way in terms of morphs. There is a hypo/T+ albino (they don't know which it is from what I understand). I'm not really big into morphs but I know that has been a major driving factor in the popularity of corns, kings, balls, retics and the other big names. There is my variety which is far eastern range locality. A Mexican locality that is known as San Antonio Zoo line which is like a yellow version. And the generic banded snake silver snake that is most common in the wild. So you have 4 colors. My orange/metallic kind, San Antonio Zoo yellow, hypo/t+ or generic.

4. The really cool specimens don't photograph well without natural light. If someone is selling a Baird's with a photo from a tub they aren't gonna get their asking price quite frankly.

5. Lack of information, there seems to be this weird thing from the bygone era when all the snake books used to be awesome where everyone assumed that every subspecies was totally unique in care based on there range and other stuff like that. There are like 2-3 caresheets online, no books to speak of outside of mentions in the backs of some. People aren't talking about them all the time either. I think that this kind of scares first time keepers who hear nothing but "corns or ball pythons are the starter snakes period". When in reality a hatchling Baird's is WAY easier to feed because they are beefy babies compared to the little pencil corn snakes and arguably I would consider a better starter species because of that.

Personally I don't care about all of that. I know my snakes are top notch. The breeder I got them from has been working with them for decades. As far as I'm concerned my snakes are just as designer as any ball python or corn snake morph and I will be pricing their offspring as such with respect to the realities of the market.

Registered User CharlotteCerise's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow she's a stunner. You're right about the natural light thing, I've seen some in person who looked pretty blah under artificial light, but seeing these photos makes me think twice.
    0.0.1 Pastel Ball Python "Mocha"
    0.0.1 Colombian Rainbow Boa Het. Leucistic "Aurora"
    0.1 Vietnamese Blue Beauty "Jelly"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCerise View Post
    Wow she's a stunner. You're right about the natural light thing, I've seen some in person who looked pretty blah under artificial light, but seeing these photos makes me think twice.
    Personally for me I think that this is one of the few species of snakes where, in the rare case, someone is asking about how to set them up I will say to get a little exo-terra hood an a 5.0 UVB bulb. That bulb is cheap and is decently comparable light to natural and really just helps people get the most out of them because they just look so good.