Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,688

1 members and 2,687 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Snake Handling

Thanks

Snake Handling

This isn't a religious commentary, I just thought "Handling Balls" might not be great for a subject line. On a serious note, I have read some posts that expressed the opinion that you shouldn't handle snakes too much because it stresses them out badly. I saw one that actually used the term " handled to death" to describe the issue. How often should you handle a BP? I kinda like to get them out. They will usually just wrap around my neck or arm and just lay there. I'm just curious about what you guys think.

Thanks

Re: Snake Handling

i hold my snakes every day. it used to be for like 10-15 minutes at a time but now i keep them out for 20-25 minutes at a time. i have had my bp for a year now and he is completely mellow when out. the only days i don't hold my snakes are the dyas after they eat then after that they are out again from my expeirience it doesnt stress my snakes at all. my blood has a great feeding response(about all do) and my bp has it's moments but still when on feed my bp eats like a savage. so as long as the handling sessions aren't too long then handling your snake frequently is fine IMO

Brian
    Brian
    1.0 ball python-Reeses(u know the candy)
    0.1 sumatran blood python-shai (i miss you)
    1.0 JCP- spaz

Thanks

We haven't had our 6 month old and 18 month old balls all that long so we still keep their handling sessions around the 20 minute mark (avoiding post feeding days of course). We mostly handle in the evenings when the snakes are out and about and they don't seem to mind it. It certainly hasn't put our lil piggies off their feed LOL.

I just figure you have to be reasonable...they aren't puppy dogs after all but a nice bit of handling shouldn't hurt a healthy snake I would think. We just watch ours for any signs that they are feeling defensive or looking for an escape route. If they seem out of sorts, back they go....we hope this way they will condition to handling if it never scares or hurts them.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aw Jo! I want to come back in my next life as one of your ball pythons! You so obviously love your babies, and I learn a lot from you too, as I so adore Kashmire and want only the best for him. But those first few weeks were tough to keep my hands off (but I tried to leave him alone as much as possible) and not obsess that he wasn't eating. Now I feel so much more relaxed! I'm sure I'm still going to have more of those panicky newbie questions!

I feel I've learned so much here! (and it all makes PERFECT sense when you think about it).

Robin

Thanks

Awww Robin that's awfully nice of you to say but remember I'm still very new to this to so I just say what we do. Most of what we do we learned from a lot of research and a lot of questions in this very helpful forum (thanks folks the snakes really appreciate you!!!)

Not to get all goofy about it but I really feel privileged to own these snakes. I hesitate to say "own" or "pet" in reference to them really. They are so lovely and it's like having a little piece of the wild world right in my own livingroom. I know they aren't wild or maybe even wild born but when they let me touch them and don't startle away I just get this little tingle that this creature trusts me even a little bit. Makes all our family really strive to understand their needs and do our best for them.

I think also the fact that they are silent makes us all feel very responsible. They can't meow or bark or even hang out at the cage door like the pet rats do for attention. If we didn't do our best, they would just lie there and suffer in silence. That thought makes me ill.

Cliff maybe that "handling to death" thing could have been that the snake was being handled so much it stressed and stopped eating or something. Basically it's our pleasure to handle our snakes. We know they most likely don't care one way or the other but are learning to tolerate our touch so we don't push them or be "greedy" about it. That's just our way tho and not everyone's way nor even the "right way"....remember we are new too.

~~Joanna~~
    Last edited by frankykeno; 08-03-2005 at 09:27 PM.
    ~~Joanna~~