Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,742

4 members and 3,738 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Help - Is this Burmese OK?

Bought this Burmese last night. Male, 7 Months old, 2.5ft.

Feeding Schedule shown in pic. Breeder was only feeding him 1 mouse fuzz every 7 days, not been fed for 2 weeks.

He seems constipated with a dark buildup of matter inside his back end and very fatigued. His back passage looks a little red to and you can see his spine.
    I perhaps should not have bought him but felt so sorry for him I couldn’t not.

Any advice, question, help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Help - Is this Burmese OK?

Well done for saving him !!

He certainly looks pretty scrawny for a baby Burm I'd say .

Hopefullu some TLC and a few decent meals will see him improving !!

Thanks
    Looks underweight. You can see his spine. My burms a little over 9 months and she's over 4 ft long and over 2 pounds. From my experience they don't poop very often but if he seems impacted a warm (not hot) soak should help. I'd give him a properly set up enclosure and let him settle in for a few days then get him on a proper feeding schedule. Just don't push him too fast. I'm guessing you've already checked for mites and any signs of RI? Burms are one of my favorite snakes and you got yourself a good looking one. I hope everything works out well for you. I'd also give him a water bowl big enough to soak in. It's not required but you can try it out to see if he enjoys playing in it as much as mine does
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-12-2017),Craiga 01453 (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    That's a beautiful snake! Personally I'd weigh him and start feeding rodents that are 10% (or slightly less but not more) of his body weight twice a week for at least six months or so, assuming he is a good eater and will eat them all. That record of rat pup weekly feedings is pretty useless unless you know the weights of the rat pups and the weight of the snake, both can vary like crazy.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 04-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    He needs food. One fuzzy mouse in no where near enough. Heck my dumeril's was eating hopper mice at like 18" long. She's probably about 2' and she eats adult mice every week. My salmon BCI boy is a year old and probably close to 2.5' and he eats an adult mouse every week too. And my 7 month old Suriname girl who is around 2' eats hoppers right now since I've had 3 weeks and want to get her settled in but she will be bumped up to small adults too as the breeder was feeding her medium mice.

I would definitely start feeding him adult mice every 5-7 days to get some bulk on him.

Also I know its best to quarantine on paper towels so you can see stuff easier but I would try to put him on a substrate with high humidity to get him well hydrated and hopefully that combined with more food will get him regular. You definitely want to watch his rear end with the higher food intake and if you see any sausage butt and no poop in a few days after sausage butt, I would soak him.

Stay away from rat pups or anything that is suckling on mom. Get him on some solid mice with well developed bone, muscle and organs and that should help square up his poop.

He should recover. Snakes are pretty resilient. Just go slow on the food at the start. Like I said, do every 5-7 days for 2-3 weeks. Then once he is used to food, you can ramp it up to every 4-5 days until he puts on some weight, then back him down to once a week. My BP was labeled a problem feeder and didn't eat for the pet shop for almost a month. I got her home and set up right and she was eating every 3 days for the first 6 months. Then I backed her down to once a week. She thickened up and gained a ton of muscle and stuff.

Awesome looking little burm. I so want a caramel albino burm along with a Pucallpa Peruvian BCC and sharp snow BCI

Oh and those records are all over. He should have shed a lot more than 3 times. Heck my SD retic went from 2' back on Oct 10 2016 to just over 6' as of yesterday. Pythons will put food to good growth if fed. And what the heck is "fluff"?

And a mod should move this from boas to python section as Burmese aren't boas
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-12-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-12-2017),Zincubus (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    That's a maintenance feeding schedule, burm hatchlings should be taking larger prey than a mouse fuzzy unless they're out of a "boob" egg or being assist fed. I'd bump him to a small mouse at least.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-12-2017)

Thanks

He has a large bulge around his tail area and his tail seems very limp when I hold him. I assume he is so constipated its heavy to lift, or, he does not have enough energy to do so from lack of food.

The breeder was a fool, with racks full of different snakes all being kept on a maintenance diet and it the smallest tubs I have seen.

Last night I put in the sink and bathed in luke warm water in the hope of helping him pass. I am going away this weekend from Thursday to Monday so wasn't going to feed him until I am back and he has had chance to settle down in his new RUB etc. This means he will not have been fed for 21 days upon my return.

Do you think this will be ok? of should I try and feed him tonight after another attempt at bathing? I have in stock now a bag of small mice and a bag of small rat weaners.

Thank You for everyone's advice. I get the idea that all think I need to feed him up every 5 days until he has put weight back on..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simon07989 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-12-2017),Zincubus (04-12-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Id feed him before you go. Burms are good eaters and usually not shy or stressed unless they are in bad shape. He looks very underfed but not unhealthy. Feed that little guy and he will pep up within a couple weeks. At that age he should be 3.5' no problem.
    Don't worry about the Sausage Butt.. Mine can go 1-2 months without pooping.. Other times he goes through drinking spells alot and piss's crazy every 2 weeks..
    Congrats and Gorgeous boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I would feed him tonight also. Burms aren't ball pythons and will typically eat any time anywhere whether they've been recently moved or not.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-12-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I don't own a Burm, but from what I have read combined with what has been said above I would also suggest feeding before you go away. It can't hurt to at least offer, and from what I know of Burms, he won't refuse. A mouse approx. 10% of his body weight would be a good place to start.
    Great looking snake!!! Once you get him on a proper diet and at a healthy weight he will be an absolute stunner!!!

Please keep us posted on his progression.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast