Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,492

5 members and 3,487 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    ??? Where do you live that your ice cream trucks have flashing lights?

But yeah, no, PETA is a PRIVATE organization, they have ZERO legal authority to enter you home or even step foot on your property. If any of them showed up at my door I would def be calling the cops. Most of my neighbors know I have snakes, but they're all chill with it because usually they see my 7 year old handling my big girl and how sweet and gentle she is, and I get going on my spiel about what awesome pets they are (and then I trot out the ones with really pretty, stunning colors and long story short I think I have people currently lined up for future snake babies and I don't even start my first parings until fall).

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why PETA Thinks Snakes Shouldn't be Pets (Disputed)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    ??? Where do you live that your ice cream trucks have flashing lights?

But yeah, no, PETA is a PRIVATE organization, they have ZERO legal authority to enter you home or even step foot on your property. If any of them showed up at my door I would def be calling the cops. Most of my neighbors know I have snakes, but they're all chill with it because usually they see my 7 year old handling my big girl and how sweet and gentle she is, and I get going on my spiel about what awesome pets they are (and then I trot out the ones with really pretty, stunning colors and long story short I think I have people currently lined up for future snake babies and I don't even start my first parings until fall).
    I live in the woods haha, ice cream trucks are like unicorns out here, they don't exist.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    This scenario is why no one outside of my family knows what is in my house. Unless I know who you are I don't answer my door or my phone for that matter.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We don't answer the door or phone either. If it's important, they can leave a message. Any time I see a suspicious car in front of the house, I take down the plate number. I also have signs on the doors notifying people we have video cameras. The front and back gates are always locked anyway, so someone would have to climb over. However, at that point they would have to face three angry dogs.
    Last edited by distaff; 04-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    We don't answer the door or phone either. If it's important, they can leave a message. Any time I see a suspicious car in front of the house, I take down the plate number. I also have signs on the doors notifying people we have video cameras. The front and back gates are always locked anyway, so someone would have to climb over. However, at that point they would have to face three angry dogs.
    I think I should get a couple signs too...where did you buy yours?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheBP View Post
    I think I should get a couple signs too...where did you buy yours?
    I just made them.
    They can stand there chewing it over and decide to believe it or not.
    I expect you could find something to down load that looks "official."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i think this is an important part of the article that's getting overlooked; the very last sentence:

this is something i agree with, but i believe it should have been the opening/main point of the article. we all know this forum's general feelings surrounding big-chain pet stores and how they operate. most of us in the hobby buy from responsible breeders and try our best to keep our money away from these places.

if PETA wanted to actually educate anyone, they would have stuck to this point and branched off from there. instead of pointing out the fact that almost ALL of those "statistics" should be solely applied to reptiles within the big chain pet store industry (and some "statistics" should not have even been mentioned), this is just not the case with responsible breeders and hobbyists at all.

their entire business is based on sensationalism, hate and fear-mongering. they are just a business. they have strayed very, very far from what they once were (were they ever a reputable organization?).
    I would agree that chain stores really do need to step up their animal care, but not all local pet shops operate in this way. In fact, even my nearby Petsmarts are very well versed on caring for snakes, fish, and other "non-traditional" pets. Of course, I try to avoid purchasing from them since not all of their locations are as nice, but they are the only practical option for my area. Then there's the closest Petco, which makes me sick to my stomach and is a very good example of a very bad chain store.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I just made them.
    They can stand there chewing it over and decide to believe it or not.
    I expect you could find something to down load that looks "official."
    That's a good idea actually, it'll save some money. Thanks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FlynnTheBP For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheBP View Post
    I would agree that chain stores really do need to step up their animal care, but not all local pet shops operate in this way. In fact, even my nearby Petsmarts are very well versed on caring for snakes, fish, and other "non-traditional" pets. Of course, I try to avoid purchasing from them since not all of their locations are as nice, but they are the only practical option for my area. Then there's the closest Petco, which makes me sick to my stomach and is a very good example of a very bad chain store.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good idea actually, it'll save some money. Thanks!
    totally agree! my local petsmart actually does very well with their beeps, and i always check on them to make sure they're doing okay. however i've heard many horror stories to consider my store's care atypical.

great care is not always the case, but even one instance of neglect is enough for me to think hard about where my money goes.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

FlynnTheBP (04-11-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123