Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

1 members and 2,880 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Carpet pythons

Thanks
    Gio - Oh yeah, I obviously need more than one snake (or lizard or tarantula or whatever) eventually! But, it will happen over time. The only issue with Carpets is that as they grow they will want big & tall cages which I don't have a ton of, and I have to keep expenses reasonable which in part means not getting big expensive cages. Anything that can permanently live in what we've got will be much easier to get permission for which is a 75gal, 40gal, various tubs and critter keepers, 18" cube, and a 4x2x1 Boaphile. The big 4x2x4 is already reserved for the Carpet. I think a Blood python would work nicely as it can eventually live in the Boaphile and won't be bothered by only 12" of height. A sand boa could permanently live in a tub and also doesn't care about height. 18" cube could eventually take a Crested or Gargoyle gecko, or some semi arboreal snake that stays smaller.

Well, theoretically I could also house something in our Coke cooler but it would take some effort to make it safe and secure. Really I think it would only work for 100% terrestrial animals but you could probably have a huge Leopard Gecko colony in there if you wanted and it's pretty big. I'm not really sure what else can use that much room but can't climb at all. This one is the same model as mine, but with better paint and mine has a bottle opener on the right front. You can see the two screws there that it mounts on.

rock - In The Complete Carpet Python on p119 about bredli: "This is a relatively fast growing species and the small juveniles care capable of reaching lengths of 1.5m (5 ft) by their second winter." So that's what I was going by with that. A 2014 being nearly 6 feet seems to jive with what the book says too.

So last night I managed to "liberate" a sort of rack system that was being used elsewhere in the house. It's one of these:
    http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/pro...5-5125e28270f2

I bought it probably 15-20 years ago, but it's still in good shape. Basically, the four legs are giant bolts and each shelf has a big nut on top and on bottom so it has infinitely adjustable shelf heights for any size tubs you wanted. Each level has 19"x16" of usable space, and you could add heat tape pretty easily. I'm going to Home Depot today to check out their tubs and take notes for the future. I also sent an email to the company asking what it would cost to buy an additional shelf for it.

Zebra - Not as mean looking, but too "busy" like a Diamond. Wife not a fan.

Older bredli: Almost 6 feet long, which is too big for right now. I need something my wife can get used to at a smaller size.

rock, did you say your 2015 is 3 feet long now? That's significantly more than the striped caramel which is only 18".

So that puts it down to the 2015 Bredli or 2016 Striped Caramel. I can't seem to link directly to the picture but you should be able to see him here:
    https://www.facebook.com/52717249407...type=3&theater

There's actually one more striped one he has that might be good - I need to ask if he can send me better pics where I can see their whole pattern instead of coiled up tightly.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-17-2017),rock (04-17-2017)

Thanks

Re: Carpet pythons

I like the Coke cooler!

Yes, you and the book are definitely correct. I was thinking Bredli growth and sexual maturity compared to other Carpet Pythons. As in, I didn't think they outpaced them.

My 2015 Bredli is about 2.5 feet and 150 grams as of last week. I do expect this will be a big growth year as he is now onto rats so 5 feet by the end of the year fits my expectations as well. I would like to get him into a 4x2x2 with a RHP by the end of the year or as soon as possible, based on his growth.

The Striped Caramel looks awesome. Really, really nice.

I will get a new pic of mine this afternoon so you can see where he's at for comparison.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

dboeren (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    I asked the breeder for non-coiled pics of two of his striped caramels so I can see their entire pattern but he replied back that they are "deep in shed" right now so I think we're going to give them some time to finish shedding and get better pics then. So, it might be a little while. I prefer a zig-zaggy looking stripe over a totally straight one.

Yes, I would love to see how big your guy is now - maybe in a hand or near a familiar sized object for scale would be good? The one from Nick should be very similar in size. Thanks!

Thanks
    Salamander rack system: 19"x16" usable space, adjustable height

IRIS 32qt Weathertight storage box: 17.94"L x 14.50"W x 10.88"H

I think we have a winner, this is the biggest storage container I could find which will fit in my "rack" and seems pretty roomy. It also has a locking top if you want it, but the clips don't get in the way so the top is optional.

At some point I will also look into the best sized container that can fit two side-by-side on these shelves.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

That striped coastal looks really nice.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    I asked the breeder for non-coiled pics of two of his striped caramels so I can see their entire pattern but he replied back that they are "deep in shed" right now so I think we're going to give them some time to finish shedding and get better pics then. So, it might be a little while. I prefer a zig-zaggy looking stripe over a totally straight one.

Yes, I would love to see how big your guy is now - maybe in a hand or near a familiar sized object for scale would be good? The one from Nick should be very similar in size. Thanks!
    Funny, my Bredli hasn't shed in the 4 weeks he's been with me. Bet it's coming soon. I'll get the hand pic today and TRY for a can too. No telling what will happen once he's out. 😊
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Funny, my Bredli hasn't shed in the 4 weeks he's been with me. Bet it's coming soon. I'll get the hand pic today and TRY for a can too. No telling what will happen once he's out.
    They're all so very different , some of mine go months without shedding it seems ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

rock (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    Here you go, from today.

0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

dboeren (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Here you go, from today.

What a stunner!

I want one!

Thanks

Thank you, Gio. I agree! I had a great session with him today. Took the gloves off, just relaxed and let him crawl around. I get it even more now. More fun than BPs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-17-2017)

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast