Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,911

0 members and 2,911 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Carpet pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Nick has 2 beautiful Brisbane, locality coastals listed. A male and a female and I'd jump on one. They have a unique look, somewhat like a Bredli as they have some reds in their pattern.

I occasionally chat with the Aussie folks on one of their boards, and they tell me that the coastals are a tad more arboreal than the Bredli. I enjoy my coastal mutt and find her very easy to take care of.

I think a Bredli would be the same. A few differences in husbandry may enter into the equation, though minor, for the most part I think they will be quite similar. I love climbers so I usually go with something that does. I don't favor completely arboreal though. I like terrestrial and arboreal behaviors.

The Bredli we have at our local reptile store is a really neat male. He pops out like a reticulated python when I go up to his cage. One of the employees said he was nasty, I held him and thought he was wonderful.

The other two Centralians there are GIANT. As thick as any of the adult boas, although they are probably close to 20 years old.

$300 for a locality Brisy is a nice deal.

You may want to check them out.

The male has some really neat coloring.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-13-2017 at 12:17 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dboeren (04-13-2017),rock (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    You're right - that male Brisbane is pretty nice looking. My reservation was that from what I've read the southern Coastals are supposed to get larger than the other Coastals which means we're potentially looking at a 9+ footer someday. I think that's going to be pushing the limit, I'd rather be in the 7-8 foot range.

Note that I've seen Caramel Coastals that have a similar reddish color like this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/52717249407...type=3&theater

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Carpet pythons

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post

El-Ziggy: What do you like about your Coastal compared to your Bredli? I'd love to hear comparisons from anyone who has both.
    My Coastal is definitely the most active of my carpets inside his enclosure. He cruises around pretty regularly whether he's hungry or not. My Bredli only cruises when he's hungry. The jungles and albino will just perch themselves and wait for food. The Coastal also seems to be growing at a faster pace than the Bredli. In the year that I've had the Coastal he's gained over 1kg. In the year that I've had the Bredli he's gained about 550g. The Coastal seems more relaxed during handling sessions too. The Bredli is still a little flighty when I handle him but not defensive at all.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dboeren (04-13-2017),Gio (04-13-2017),rock (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    Actually, I'm going to email Nick about the Brisbane. No reason to make assumptions when I can get solid info instead. Plus, he *is* pretty smoking hot after all. I'd kind of prefer a 2015 but not a huge deal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Actually, I'm going to email Nick about the Brisbane. No reason to make assumptions when I can get solid info instead. Plus, he *is* pretty smoking hot after all. I'd kind of prefer a 2015 but not a huge deal.
    A Brisbane Coastal was almost my choice from Nick. I love that he has these locality specific animals. They are magnificent from hatchling to adult!

The main reason I went for the Bredli was that the coloring was different than the two BPs I already have and my wife was making it clear that 3 was our max. We'll see on that but just in case I wanted the color difference. Overall, I knew I couldn't go wrong with either but it was definitely a very tough call. I would really prefer BOTH!

Good luck but if you get the Brisbane you are absolutely required to post lots of pics!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

dboeren (04-13-2017),Gio (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about the size. It's more of a length thing, and you have to trust me a little on this. Most people find that once they have raised and worked with their snake, it becomes much smaller. I remember thinking a 6 foot animal would be shockingly large. Now, I have 2 snakes approaching the 7 foot mark and I'm thinking they are somewhat smaller than I wanted them to turn out.

My coastal is still growing a bit, and I was hoping for a minimum of 9 feet. I can one hand handle her still.

In general carpet pythons are fairly light bodied snakes you should have no issues with that beauty, other than deal with my jealousy.

I like my girl, but if I new then what I know now, I'd have grabbed a Brisy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

rock (04-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the size. It's more of a length thing, and you have to trust me a little on this. Most people find that once they have raised and worked with their snake, it becomes much smaller. I remember thinking a 6 foot animal would be shockingly large. Now, I have 2 snakes approaching the 7 foot mark and I'm thinking they are somewhat smaller than I wanted them to turn out.

My coastal is still growing a bit, and I was hoping for a minimum of 9 feet. I can one hand handle her still.

In general carpet pythons are fairly light bodied snakes you should have no issues with that beauty, other than deal with my jealousy.

I like my girl, but if I new then what I know now, I'd have grabbed a Brisy!

WOW terrible spelling/grammatical errors.

"DEALING with my jealousy"

"If I KNEW then what I Know now".

Thanks
    Just got off the phone w/ Nick Mutton. He says he has some other 2015 animals that would fit what I'm looking for which aren't on the website so he's going to put together some pics and email them to me later.

I think this is basically going to be male Bredli's, normal Coastals, and possibly a Caramel Coastal. If I want the Brisbane that is only available in the 2016 model year. So, I'll see how the pics look and go from there. His explanation was that with a male you have more control over their full-grown size than with females and they are a bit slimmer as well. Plus, usually cheaper which is always a benefit

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. Once I get them I'll add them to my photo collage and start zeroing in on my choice.
    Last edited by dboeren; 04-13-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Just wanted to chime in here, fwiw, I have a Carmel Coastal Female from Nick and a Jungle Male. My Coastal has a much meaner looking face than my Jungle. She looks like an intense :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: all the time, lol! My Jungles face is sooooo cute
    4.3 Corns (Ziggy, Maximus, Twix, Henley, Amelia, Akasha, Zahara)
    1.1 Rosy Boas (Moonshine, Peaches)
    0.1 Licorice Black Rat (Lacey)
    1.1 Balls- Special Lesser Leucistic (Raka), Nuclear (Vesta)
    1.1 Carpets-Caramel Coastal (Michonne), Highlighter Jungle (Grimes)

Thanks
    What constitutes a "mean face" in her eyes? Is it the blacks near the mouth and head?

Coastal mutt here doesn't have a much pattern as say a pure jungle.

My guess is the jungles (some) have black around the scales and pits on the mouth and your wife doesn't like that.

This gal really doesn't.

She may or may not have some jungle in her, but I certainly don't find this face frightening.

Some folks get really nervous around Argentine boas. I guess different people have different fears.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EmilyandArlo (04-13-2017)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast