I'm in the market for a new snake and looking at several options, one of which is Carpet Pythons. I've had corns and boas before many years ago, as well as Bearded Dragons, tarantulas, and a red Ackie.

The last of our dragons died of old age recently, and now I'm down to only the Ackie and looking for new tenants.

What I'd like is something that gets to a "good" size but not too big. Big enough to be cool, but not big enough to be an issue. I'd like something that is a bit more active or has a personality and nice colors or patterns.

I think I've ruled out Balls as too much of a pet rock, and I'm mostly looking at smaller boas (Hogg Island, Dumeril's, Brazilian Rainbow), Blood or Borneo Python, or some sort of Carpet/Bredli's Python.

Carpets strike me as a strong contender as even though they can get somewhat long, they are slender, have nice colors, and are both active and not shy. It's also important to me that they be docile for handling, which my impression fits most Carpets once they grow out of the nippy baby phase - does that sound correct?

From what I've read, Carpets like to climb and I have I think a great home for that sort of species:
https://www.customcages.com/hr13-rep...-l-x-24-d.html

Note that this is a long-term plan, my snake would be housed in something much smaller and more secure-feeling until it was large enough to put in there. Also, that's where the Ackie lives now anyway. Other homes I have along the way to the big one include a 4x2x1 Boaphile, 75 gallon aquarium, 40 breeder aquarium (this I can turn over to make it side-opening instead of top-opening), and any size tubs required.

Tomorrow I will be attending Repticon in Atlanta with the goal of seeing all the species I'm interested in in person and getting to know their personalities better to narrow down what I want. Not planning to purchase yet, just get educated. If I go with Carpets I will pick up a copy of the Complete Carpet Python book by Nick Mutton. I've also downloaded some episodes of MoreliaPythonRadio with beginner Carpet segments to listen to.

What I'd like from you guys is your thoughts and impressions on my plan and also about Carpets in general and what specific species you think best meet what I'm looking for.

Also, some specific questions:

1. How would you rate the handing and personality of a Carpet vs. a Boa?

2. Is it OK to house more than one Carpet together eventually? Can you mix species? I can feed them separately to avoid accidents. This is more of a down-the-line question in case I eventually want a second snake. Otherwise I can easily swap them periodically between the tall cage and the Boaphile so it's not a big deal.

3. How bad is the Jaguar neurological thing? Right now it sounds scary to me and makes me want to avoid Jaguars entirely. Is it a danger only if the animal actually exhibits the Jaguar gene or is there a risk even if it just has some Jaguar in its ancestry?

4. If the goal is to get a friendly animal, would it be better to get a baby (more chance to handle it as it grows up) or a yearling (more chance to see how its personality has developed)?

5. What time of year do Carpets hatch out? i.e. - when the breeders will have loads of selection to choose from.

6. What are some good breeders to look at? I know inlandreptile is one.

Thanks!