Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,955

2 members and 2,953 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Searching for a new scaley friend

Greetings ladies and gentlemen, I'm looking to get a bearded dragon as my first reptile and I'm not sure about where I can get one. I refuse to buy a reptile from PetCo or PetSmart due to their notorious reputation for mistreating and or improperly caring for the animals in their stores. I've looked online at stores such as Underground Reptiles, Backwater Reptiles as well Big Apple Herp and the reviews are less than stellar to say the least. If anyone can suggest a store that has a better reputation than the ones listed above I'd appreciate it. Usually if this was an inanimate object I wouldn't care less about the reviews for the most part but since this is a living and breathing animal I'm cautious about it. Preferably I'd buy the reptile from a store near me to cut down on stress for it but I can't seem to find one in my area.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    There are reputable breeders online. Look for the ones that are actually breeders and not just wholesalers. Another option would be to go to a local reptile expo if there are any in your area.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ReptileMan259 (04-07-2017)

Thanks
    Maybe try LLL reptiles. I have bought a few snakes from them and always had a good experience.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Check out the listings on fauna classifieds.com But, be aware that there are some scammers, big animal dealers, etc. that sell online too...so when you find one you are interested in, I'd check the BOI on fauna also. Do an advanced search for the seller's name on fauna and see what their reputation is. You can also post on the board of inquiry here and ask if people have done business with them before.

I would not personally order from a dealer like backwater, underground, or LLL. I would purchase from a small-scale breeder with a good reputation. You will often get higher quality animals at a better price from a small breeder. Not all small breeders are good, so check their reputations also.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Searching for a new scaley friend

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Check out the listings on fauna classifieds.com But, be aware that there are some scammers, big animal dealers, etc. that sell online too...so when you find one you are interested in, I'd check the BOI on fauna also. Do an advanced search for the seller's name on fauna and see what their reputation is. You can also post on the board of inquiry here and ask if people have done business with them before.

I would not personally order from a dealer like backwater, underground, or LLL. I would purchase from a small-scale breeder with a good reputation. You will often get higher quality animals at a better price from a small breeder. Not all small breeders are good, so check their reputations also.
    I wish BHB had berdies
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Re: Searching for a new scaley friend

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    I wish BHB had berdies
    I know this is an old-ish thread, but happy to throw support behind my boy's breeder Carolina Classic Dragons. Dave has a few videos out there on YouTube under his channel Pagonavision.

Here is my sweet Nigel, and I think he's the bee's knees! He's roughly 5 months old now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"