Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

1 members and 3,072 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Is this for real??? Guy free handling King Cobras, other hots..

Quote Originally Posted by PokeyTheNinja View Post
    I've been following Chris for a long while now. This guy resides in Thailand, takes great care of his animals, and DOES NOT CONDONE ANYONE TO DO WHAT HE DOES. He's also a big advocate in not keeping Slow Loris' as pets simply because they are cute and people have their venom glands taken out. He's not doing silly things while free-handling, not showing them off to his buddies, keeps them out for short periods of time. Free-handling, while dangerous, is his complete choice and we have no idea what happens behind the scenes. Calling Chris names, saying he's a bad image to the reptile community is not okay. People who go off and and do what he does because it looks cool is their problem, not his. Chris educates as much as he can in his comments and keeps some pretty rad hots. He's been bit already by a Malayan pitviper, think he knows what he is in for.
    One last thing. Most of his snakes are CB and all intact.
    I don't care what he's doing, it's the fact he's doing it and people do see this. He is a moron and I'll continue to call him that because he does this. Idiotic stuff like that affects the hobby, thus makes him a selfish moron nonetheless. I don't care what happens behind the scenes either. Free handling in any way of venomous stuff that can potentially kill you does put a bad image to the reptile community. I have no idea where on earth you get your arguments from but defending a moron who doesn't care how the affects the hobby speaks volumes for itself.

EDIT:
    Also to add, being he posts pictures, he obviously wants some kind of attention or hopes people think it's cool otherwise he wouldn't talk about it, take photos nor post them.
    Last edited by Neal; 04-22-2017 at 02:46 AM.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-06-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Also, so since you've been following Chris for a long while, being he's 20, how long have you been following him?
    -Venomous-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Well thanks, Neal
    I mean every time you post you're looking for attention yourself, so.... But I doubt you'd be claiming to be a show-off.
    "Long" is quite subjective. What's long to, let's say, Jerry, isn't long to Gerald. But I'll find that date for ya It was when he first started posting-ish, so approximately back in late 2012, early 2013.
    What I think may not be what you think, and I have no issue with that. But I won't stoop down to call somebody names on the internet because I disagree, unless harm is being brought upon someone or something. And usually when you start throwing in such names, people won't want to take in advice. The only harm is against himself, and he knows the outcome if something goes wrong and again he is not condoning anyone to free-handle. Therefore, I have zero room to point fingers and criticize. Is it something I would do personally? Not one bit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PokeyTheNinja View Post
    Well thanks, Neal
    I mean every time you post you're looking for attention yourself, so.... But I doubt you'd be claiming to be a show-off.
    "Long" is quite subjective. What's long to, let's say, Jerry, isn't long to Gerald. But I'll find that date for ya It was when he first started posting-ish, so approximately back in late 2012, early 2013.
    What I think may not be what you think, and I have no issue with that. But I won't stoop down to call somebody names on the internet because I disagree, unless harm is being brought upon someone or something. And usually when you start throwing in such names, people won't want to take in advice. The only harm is against himself, and he knows the outcome if something goes wrong and again he is not condoning anyone to free-handle. Therefore, I have zero room to point fingers and criticize. Is it something I would do personally? Not one bit.
    I don't do stuff that's potentially life threatening which would bring a cloud over the hobby. That's why I called him a moron. He's lucky I can only call him a moron over the Internet. He claims he's not doing it for attention but that's exactly what he's doing. If not be wouldn't take photos doing it. You want somebody that can still get a lot of positive attention while being safe? Viperkeeper is so well known and respected.
    -Venomous-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-06-2017)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I don't do stuff that's potentially life threatening which would bring a cloud over the hobby. That's why I called him a moron. He's lucky I can only call him a moron over the Internet. He claims he's not doing it for attention but that's exactly what he's doing. If not be wouldn't take photos doing it. You want somebody that can still get a lot of positive attention while being safe? Viperkeeper is so well known and respected.
    and even viperkeeper just had a trip to the ER not long ago because his spitting cobra got him in the eyes around his safety glasses.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to predatorkeeper87 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-06-2017),o.r hill (11-05-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I finally just read through this thread. I skipped over it originally because I'm familiar with Chris Sweet and was aware of his handling of hots.

I gotta say, I'm torn on this. Obviously, there is inherent risk in what he does, and it's not something I would personally do or advise anybody to do.
    However, he has a passion that he shares with the world. He loves his animals, he loves his field and his passion (while controversial) is clear in his posts, comments, etc... Are there better ways to share his passion with the world and educate people in the process? Yes, perhaps. But this is HIS choice. His animals are extremely well kept (from what I've seen) and he has a tremendous awareness of the risk that goes along with what he does. He's not harming the animals or anybody else, so who are we to stop him?

Would the people calling him a "moron" and other names be willing to say the same of people who swim with sharks? Sword swallowers or other daredevil thrill show type acts? People who skydive from airplanes? People who climb Mt Everest? What about firefighters or cops or other fields who risk their lives doing what they do? As long as there are thrills and danger, humans will want to experience thrills and danger. Some choose to make a living doing it. That's THEIR choice, not ours.

Not everybody is going to agree with what Chris Sweet is doing, but not everybody has to. We live in a world where we can be free to make our own choices, and as long as nobody else (or any animals) are being harmed, I say more power to you.

And for those who say he does it for the attention, etc... you're feeding right into it by adding to threads just like this one. As long as their is internet and an audience still watching, he'll keep posting.... Fuel for his fire.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-25-2017 at 08:28 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GreenTea (06-16-2018),nme0w (12-12-2017),PokeyTheNinja (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    I've been following him for couple months, he says hes been bit before.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    But see, whenever people put it out there for the world to see, they open themselves up for public opinion.

And we know how opinions are Everyone has one. This thread and what I posted was mine..and I tried to keep it respectful.

I don't believe what he does can be compared with the work of firemen and policemen, or even with driving a car. Some things you have to do.

Even swimming with sharks is imho not quite comparable. Perhaps more like if you grabbed the sharks by the tail while you swim with them, hold on to them, feed them out of a bowl while they hang around you. If you respectfully observe an animal in its natural habitat (hopefully being experienced enough to read their body language and again...being respectful of their personal space) you are USUALLY quite safe. Walking around a couple venomous snakes sunning themselves on a log is not the same as picking them up and handling them.

Making bets on when he will be bit, showing cobras being petted like kittens and drinking out of glasses and just the way he conducts himself..I'm not a fan. I think it presents the hobby in a bad light (imho) and to young, impressionable people, it makes it tempting to play snake whisperer. Its irresponsible, when our hobby is threatened left and right and all the time, as is.

But I do expect and respect that peoples opinions vary.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

maausen (04-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Back in my younger days, when I believed I was indestructible, I free handled wild hots. I look back on this now and I feel I am lucky I am not dead. There are many, many things I did at this guys age that just flat out could have made me very dead. I still do some of them. Why do this type of stuff? It makes you feel alive. Some people are easily addicted to the rush you get when you walk on the edge. Being this type of person I understand why he does it. Publicizing it is the problem. Stupid people are going to think that these animals are not as dangerous as they really are. This guy and viperkeeper are aware of the risks they are taking, but no amount of warnings and disclaimers are going to fix the stupidity of the general public.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (11-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (04-25-2017),o.r hill (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Murphys Law. Ill be waiting, enough said.
    1.0 Banana Hypo
    1.0 Pastave Enchi
    1.0 Pastel +
    0.1 Normal Het. Hypo
    0.1 Killer Blast
    0.1 Killer Calibee
    0.1 Queenbee

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJay For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-06-2017)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast