Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 970

5 members and 965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chris is a good friend and an excellent keeper. His animals are well cared for and healthy.

Now the risks he takes are a different story and even though I am not the most careful keeper, I would not do what he does. On the other hand, it is his life he is risking, he understands the consequences, he was already bitten once and suffered those consequences so there is not much to say there...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Najakeeper For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (12-11-2017)

Thanks

Re: Is this for real??? Guy free handling King Cobras, other hots..

I really enjoy watching his videos! He's got some killer beasts! Pun intended

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Najakeeper View Post
    Chris is a good friend and an excellent keeper. His animals are well cared for and healthy.

Now the risks he takes are a different story and even though I am not the most careful keeper, I would not do what he does. On the other hand, it is his life he is risking, he understands the consequences, he was already bitten once and suffered those consequences so there is not much to say there...
    So does he have someone to take in his animals when he's killed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tegu View Post
    So does he have someone to take in his animals when he's killed?

A high risk does not mean it is a matter of time so let's say "IF" he is killed.

I have visited him in Thailand and he has direct connections with the government reptile center in Bangkok so if something unfortunate happens to him, the animals go there, which is a better contingency plan compared to what most people have. He also has access to all the antivenom he needs through the same place, which is relatively close to his home.

Look, I do not agree with what he does but Chris is not your crazy rattlesnake pastor, he understands what he is doing and understands all the risks associated with what he is doing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Najakeeper For This Useful Post:

GreenTea (06-16-2018)

Thanks

A high risk does not mean it is a matter of time so let's say "IF" he is killed.

I have visited him in Thailand and he has direct connections with the government reptile center in Bangkok so if something unfortunate happens to him, the animals go there, which is a better contingency plan compared to what most people have. He also has access to all the antivenom he needs through the same place, which is relatively close to his home.

Look, I do not agree with what he does but Chris is not your crazy rattlesnake pastor, he understands what he is doing and understands all the risks associated with what he is doing.
    I guess you're right. It is frustrating to see people who don't give animals the respect they deserve, but if that's what he wants to do it doesn't really affect me. However I think if he's going to do that he shouldn't be allowed to own the animals, they shouldn't be used as a way to gain attention.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

What he should also understand is the impact he has on other keepers (esp. young and / or inexperienced ones) Of course some of them think his videos and what he does is the cats meow. Naturally some will be tempted to be cool like this and do similar stunts. Of course one could say, to bad. If they are that stupid then they deserve the consequences. Just because some people are stupid doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to show off like this. But I think it's irresponsible. With the ever worsening laws about reptile keeping that are popping up all over we don't need any negative publicity or anything that shows we need laws to "protect us from ourselves" Sorry, I'm not a fan for many reasons. But that's just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (12-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    What he should also understand is the impact he has on other keepers (esp. young and / or inexperienced ones) Of course some of them think his videos and what he does is the cats meow. Naturally some will be tempted to be cool like this and do similar stunts. Of course one could say, to bad. If they are that stupid then they deserve the consequences. Just because some people are stupid doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to show off like this. But I think it's irresponsible. With the ever worsening laws about reptile keeping that are popping up all over we don't need any negative publicity or anything that shows we need laws to "protect us from ourselves" Sorry, I'm not a fan for many reasons. But that's just my opinion

I think anyone who owns a reptile to "show off" shouldn't be allowed to keep them. Maybe with this guy it's ok? He does care for them correctly. Either way it's a terrible mentality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tegu For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    While free handlers are frowned upon due to unneeded risk - it is more so the massive amount of irresponsible keepers that have snakes escape that get keepers in hot spots. Even though I don't fully support free handling, I feel compelled to remind folks that the top reasons for individuals getting hit by a venomous snake is:

1) attempting to kill if
    2) drunk handling
    3) boasting/ showing off

Free handlers rarely get bit, but when they do it definitely does make the news (more so on snake preachers and exhibitionist in India - more so see boasting category).

Cheers

Wow! I am surprised to read your evaluation of "free handlers". "Unneeded risk" and that's it? I think most escapes are unplanned and accidental moreso than irresponsible. No comparison to free handling venomous snakes which is totally irresponsible, ostentatious , and reflects poorly on the herp nation and keepers. I think there are many more ways to satisfy your "living on the edge mentality" than stressing and provoking a venomous snake to get ratings and money. Just can't see the rationale in supporting this behavior, to me it's nowhere near entertaining and borders on cruelty.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

And the Thailand government knows what he's doing to and with the reptiles? Come on, "if" something happens? It's more of "when". I also feel it's selfish of him to have access to "all" the antivenom and take it away from someone who may really have a unfortunate , accident of being envenomated. While he galavants his irresponsible behavior on You tube and elsewhere. It's one thing to have a unfortunate encounter with a venomous animal but when you sit there and create the scenario and put all the possibilities into play by provocation and being ostentatious the onus is on you or it should be.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

tegu (12-11-2017),zina10 (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Wow! I am surprised to read your evaluation of "free handlers". "Unneeded risk" and that's it? I think most escapes are unplanned and accidental moreso than irresponsible. No comparison to free handling venomous snakes which is totally irresponsible, ostentatious , and reflects poorly on the herp nation and keepers. I think there are many more ways to satisfy your "living on the edge mentality" than stressing and provoking a venomous snake to get ratings and money. Just can't see the rationale in supporting this behavior, to me it's nowhere near entertaining and borders on cruelty.
    There is a lot I could say in response to this post, but in going to resist. I will simply say this. Freehandling is a lifestyle choice, it can be extremely dangerous or extremely safe depending On The individual involved both human and snake. Publicity from it is highly detrimental to our keeping and thus should be kept from the public eyes the best it can. I have free handled on numerous occasions and will say the animals are in no way under greater stress. They are more relaxed when done properly.

Also, accidental releases fall under irresponsible keeping IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (12-11-2017),Team Slytherin (12-11-2017)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast