Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,984

2 members and 2,982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: DIY cage with underground hides

Melamine is a compressed particle board that has a water resistant layer on it (except for the edges). It usually comes in white but there are other colors available. Thats what I use. It's quite heavy (as is glass) but I like it because I don't have to put sealant on the surface. I just put nontoxic silicone in the corners and veneer edging on the exposed sides.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevall1 View Post
    Melamine is a compressed particle board that has a water resistant layer on it (except for the edges). It usually comes in white but there are other colors available. Thats what I use. It's quite heavy (as is glass) but I like it because I don't have to put sealant on the surface. I just put nontoxic silicone in the corners and veneer edging on the exposed sides.

Where would I buy this at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to imhumpty For This Useful Post:

kevall1 (04-07-2017)

Thanks

Lowes, home depot and Menards sell it. Lowes and Home Depot will cut it for you. They sell it in 4'x8' sheets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

imhumpty (04-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imhumpty View Post
    Where would I buy this at

I've built these with it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

distaff (04-07-2017),Kam (04-07-2017),Lizardlicks (04-07-2017)

Thanks

I've built these with it.

Maybe I can do that instead of using a 75g tank thank you for the information

9. The Following User Says Thank You to imhumpty For This Useful Post:

kevall1 (04-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imhumpty View Post
    Maybe I can do that instead of using a 75g tank thank you for the information

No problem. If you need help with anything don't be afraid to ask. The important thing is to make sure no water gets under the white thermal infused cover on the wood. Thats why I silicone the corners. Also the edging is hard to find. I bought mine at Lowe's in the section where they sell moulding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

imhumpty (04-07-2017)

Thanks

No problem. If you need help with anything don't be afraid to ask. The important thing is to make sure no water gets under the white thermal infused cover on the wood. Thats why I silicone the corners. Also the edging is hard to find. I bought mine at Lowe's in the section where they sell moulding.

I'm going to look after I get off of work.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes, bio-active planted, and drill the glass bottom.

I like the glass, because unlike melamine, you never have to worry about it swelling. It is of course, recommended to seal melamine anyway, but In my experience, the stuff eventually swells. Even a small ding or scratch can let in moisture. Not good for a planted tank that has a gravel collecting excess water below the bio-active layer. That said, melamine would be a good choice for the outer cover/frame, and tub shelf, just not the interior of the viv.

One could use sealed plywood - some people make aquariums out of plywood, but I'm not familiar with the process, and the sealants sound unpleasant to work with.

The other advantage to an aquarium is that used ones can be purchased for much less. (The 35 gal I have was purchased for $5 several years ago..and if I crack it while drilling, not much money lost.) It is actually NOT recommended to put fish in a second-hand glass aquarium that came from someone else. Even if the tank appears to hold water, when filled, it is under a lot of pressure (8lbs/gal) and the old silicone that spent who knows how much time dry in someone's attic or garage may not hold up long in your home when re-filled to the brim. But...they work great re-purposed as a viv. They just have to hold a bit of water on the bottom. You can even use a repaired cracked one.
    Last edited by distaff; 04-07-2017 at 07:37 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-07-2017),kevall1 (04-07-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Kevall1 those are beautiful! Very professional.
    My wood working efforts tend to be a bit more "rustic." I've never made finished interior furniture, just pieces for our barns and out buildings.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

kevall1 (04-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Yes, bio-active planted, and drill the glass bottom.

I like the glass, because unlike melamine, you never have to worry about it swelling. It is of course, recommended to seal melamine anyway, but In my experience, the stuff eventually swells. Even a small ding or scratch can let in moisture. Not good for a planted tank that has a gravel collecting excess water below the bio-active layer. That said, melamine would be a good choice for the outer cover/frame, and tub shelf, just not the interior of the viv.

One could use sealed plywood - some people make aquariums out of plywood, but I'm not familiar with the process, and the sealants sound unpleasant to work with.

The other advantage to an aquarium is that used ones can be purchased for much less. (The 35 gal I have was purchased for $5 several years ago..and if I crack it while drilling, not much money lost.) It is actually NOT recommended to put fish in a second-hand glass aquarium that came from someone else. Even if the tank appears to hold water, when filled, it is under a lot of pressure (8lbs/gal) and the old silicone that spent who knows how much time dry in someone's attic or garage may not hold up long in your home when re-filled to the brim. But...they work great re-purposed as a viv. They just have to hold a bit of water on the bottom. You can even use a repaired cracked one.
    Yes, I've been interested in going bioactive but I know I cannot go that route with melamine. I use aspen so moisture should be held to a minimum. My biggest concern would be a spilled water bowl but I put my water bowl underground in the cool side tub.

I've seen where they install pond liner for the bioactive substrate on melamine. I really don't want to go that route, however, the pond sealant that the DIY King uses on his plywood aquariums could be an option, but I'm not sure if it's effective on melamine.

If I decide to go bioactive, is there a homemade substrate mix I could use that's a little drier and wouldn't require a drainage layer? Since I'd be using it for a ball python, I don't want the substrate to be too wet anyway.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast