Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,359

1 members and 1,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How to apporach a new ball python?

So I have my new ball python for like 2 weeks. And every time when I stroke him. He hissed at me, body tense up, and crawl up to a ball. So I wanna know if its ok if I continue to stroke him even he did hiss at me or whatever?

Thanks
    He needs to get use to you. For now just hold him with out stroking him. Let him relax and explore on his own. When he figures out that you will not harm him. He will relax. Don't rush him. You will tell when he's ok with handling other than just holding him. Also he may need a little more time to settle down. When you stroke him it may seem to him that you are a predator getting ready to eat him. So he's a bit defensive. Just give him some time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Sometimes stroking them too much while they're inside the cage can cause them to be more nervous than when you just scoop them out. Try just touching him for a second, getting your fingers under him, and just scooping him out and let him chill in your hands.

And then some ball pythons just have a bad temper LOL.

Another possibility is if your temperatures/hides are off, and he's stressed inside his cage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I never liked the stroking method, it always just seemed to piss my snakes off. They do much better if I just put a hand on them for a second or two so they know I'm going to take them out and then just pick them up. Some are ready to explore right away, some need a couple minutes to warm up and get comfortable before they move much, a couple of the newer ones prefer to just stay in a ball the short handling session and a couple are just limp noodles that just like to lay in my lap and could care less I'm holding them and don't even care to move lol. Each snake is a little different but most of them get over that puffing up and hissing as long as you hold them regularly enough for them to realize your not going to hurt them.

Thanks

Re: How to apporach a new ball python?

Don't rush things, you've only had him a few weeks!Make sure husbandry is right first off. Once he is feeding regular, and shows signs of comfort with his surroundings, then introduce handling about once or maybe twice a week. Keep them short, but do it. Avoid handling when you see him going into shed.

My male had a real hostile personality, I got bit several times even, but he came around. Now he is a ham, will just chill in my lap laid out across my legs, or climb up on shoulders. Sometimes he gets in explore mode and is a handful, but now longer an angry guy.

My new female is a chilled out noodle. Not an angry bone in her bod. Super relaxed. She to will explore, but just a little.

So just keep at it and he will come around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    How is your husbandry?

Has your new BP eaten?