Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

4 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Opinions on EcoEarth substrate

Quote Originally Posted by TattedLass253 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I was mainly concerned about it being harmful if my sneak ingests it. Since he has a screen-top cage, it's probably best to keep the EcoEarth to keep the humidity as high as I can.
    If you have a screen top glass tank, then for sure stick to Eco Earth or some other humidity holding substrate as you will have a much harder time holding humidity.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I haven't looked much into Orchid bark - I haven't seen it in stores around here.
    Sorry ... it may be known as reptibark over there ..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I looked up Repitbark, looks like it's bark from a fir tree, that's not what you want to use for snakes. Also, be sure to look at the expanded volumes when comparing prices. Reptichip expands to 72 quarts, hard to beat that. Right now it's $22.95 on Amazon with free shipping, that's $1.28 per gallon. I can't find anything cheaper per volume unless you are talking just using straight paper, which is a high maintenance mess and doesn't hold humidity at all.

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. I was mainly concerned about it being harmful if my sneak ingests it. Since he has a screen-top cage, it's probably best to keep the EcoEarth to keep the humidity as high as I can.
    not something you need to worry about too much. When you feed simply drop a papertowel over the EE and feed on that, if your snake gets a bit of it on the rat when wrapping it up its no big deal either, as long as they don't fill their mouth completely full. Just be mindful, watch them and if you notice the snake acting oddly check its mouth for some substrate that may have gotten stuck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sorry ... it may be known as reptibark over there ..
    See how it enhances the colouration of the snakes ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I looked up Repitbark, looks like it's bark from a fir tree, that's not what you want to use for snakes. Also, be sure to look at the expanded volumes when comparing prices. Reptichip expands to 72 quarts, hard to beat that. Right now it's $22.95 on Amazon with free shipping, that's $1.28 per gallon. I can't find anything cheaper per volume unless you are talking just using straight paper, which is a high maintenance mess and doesn't hold humidity at all.
    Maybe it's not ReptiBark in that case ...

In England it's called Orchid bark or apparently Reptile Bark .

There is a photo of the stuff in the post above ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I just switched from zoo med forest floor (cypress mulch) to zoo med eco earth (coconut fiber) and have slightly better humidity retentionin an exo terra cage. A bit more messy but think I prefer the way it looks so likely will be combining until I use up the cypress… throwing in a little dampened sphagnummoss has also helped increase humidity.

My only concern is reading some reviews that stated they got snake mites in the aforementioned substrates? I hope that’s not the case with zoo med bedding… I’m buying from Amazon versus a pet store and haven’t seen this (and hoping to not have to treat the substrate first).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vikingr For This Useful Post:

TattedLass253 (04-06-2017)

Thanks
    I used to use it. My BP is a derp sometimes. He constricts his f/t rats after he grabs them and sometimes after he unwraps he forgets where the head was. He would roll it around and get it absolutely caked in EcoEarth, which led to it getting all over his mouth. I even tried feeding him over a paper plate or a towel and he'd be a big idiot and roll it off into the dirt. I switched him to paper towels for now but it's a lot more maintenance, I'm probably gonna try Reptichip next.
    Last edited by sneksNferts; 04-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    Sneks:
    1.0 '16 Lemon Blast BP(Kevin)
    Fuzz things:
    1.0 '17 Heckin' Borker (Mr. Pickles)
    1.0 '15 Cinnamon Stinky Slinky(Obi)
    0.1 '15 Sable Carpet Shark(Yoda)
    0.1 '16 Sable Noodle bear(Chewy)
    Hominids:
    1.0 '13 Voracious Talking Apelike thing(Connor)

Thanks
    I recently switched from eco earth to reptichip. I didn't have a problem with ball pythons, but my jungle jag carpet missed her target at a couple if feedings and because the eco earth is so fine she got a mouthful of it where it seamed to cake her mouth shut. i eventually had to rinse her mouth out and it was really stressful for her. Now with the switch to repti chip it's a lot more chunky. She had one miss but instead of taking in her mouth a chip got stuck to her tooth and she was able to work it out herself.

Thanks

Opinions on EcoEarth substrate

Quote Originally Posted by vikingr View Post
    I just switched from zoo med forest floor (cypress mulch) to zoo med eco earth (coconut fiber) and have slightly better humidity retentionin an exo terra cage. A bit more messy but think I prefer the way it looks so likely will be combining until I use up the cypress… throwing in a little dampened sphagnummoss has also helped increase humidity.

My only concern is reading some reviews that stated they got snake mites in the aforementioned substrates? I hope that’s not the case with zoo med bedding… I’m buying from Amazon versus a pet store and haven’t seen this (and hoping to not have to treat the substrate first).
    I've never quite understood that suggestion of a substrate containing SNAKE mites , how would they get there in the first place PLUS how would they survive without blood ?

I got the impression that any mites brought in to a house were simply ON bags of substrate or whatever has been purchased from a reptile store
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast