Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

2 members and 3,197 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Natural Morph Creation

I have been doing some 'light' reading on the known instances of parthenogenesis in snakes, mainly pythons and though a lot of the information goes over my head, it got me to thinking on the various morphs. If I am remembering correctly morphs like mota, leopard, and acid all were isolated from wild caught "normal" snakes that looked different - and it turns out the traits are genetic and hence became morphs.

It made me wonder if some wild populations that exhibited atypical patterns maybe did so because at one point some females with the atypical genes created a line through parthenogenesis...then generational interbred and created a variant within that local population. I know that many variants to color in other species are due to environmental pressures or genetic isolation, but it seemed like an interesting theory. Also interesting that the ball python created unique young while the burms made clones.

Anyway - thought it was interesting, just got my mind wondering what environmental pressures gifted us with all the dominant basic morphs

Here is a link to one paper that mentioned ball pythons specifically. http://www.snakegenomics.org/CastoeL...JLS%202014.pdf
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 04-04-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (04-04-2017),paulh (04-05-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Sounds really interesting. I'm going to read through it tonight. Reading this type of stuff I actually have to focus.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (04-04-2017)

Thanks

Re: Natural Morph Creation

Yeah, I was just looking through the libraries data base while waiting for my car to get done at the shop...might need a nap when I get home
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Why not? I'd think that between general copying errors, chromosomal crossover, environmental factors such as radiation, and viral/bacterial changes there isn't a reason why some changes wouldn't occur due to parthenogenesis in isolated females.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think you are overcomplicating it. These mutations likely arose spontaneously and, because they are mostly cryptic, especially with the ones you cite, there was not a significant selective disadvantage to them so they were able to perpetuate at some low level in the population.

Parthenogenesis is not going to act as a special catalyst for spreading morph genes in a population (especially not for something like Mota). Plus, natural parthenogenesis happens pretty frequently in the wild and we do not see morphs spreading from those occurrences.
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to asplundii For This Useful Post:

Ciryluk3g (04-08-2017),Crowfingers (04-04-2017),janeothejungle (04-09-2017),paulh (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    No, it definitely could be a factor. The problem is that there are so many ways morphs can form (spontaneous is a decent way to sum it up) that it is definitely possible it has happened, although it wouldn't have been some kind of critical component in the spreading of morphs.

Now, are pythons ZW, or XY?
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Re: Natural Morph Creation

Pythons are ZW from what I read

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

paulh (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    Parthenogenesis is unlikely to create any new morph. It will result in heterozygous loci largely becoming homozygous, therefore if the mother has a rare mutation that results in a new phenotype, that could become expressed in the the offspring. Whether that then becomes that catalyst for a new morph to become evident in the population is very unlikely.

You can read more papers on snake parthenogenesis at my website - www.booth-lab.org then go to the publications section.

Are pythons XY or ZW.... i'll report on that in a few weeks. We a have a new paper in review.

Warren

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren_Booth For This Useful Post:

asplundii (04-24-2017)