Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

0 members and 2,875 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Field handling of venemous snakes

Not 100% if this is the right place to ask, but I figure the best knowledge pool is located here ...

At the end of a Cub/Scout camp this weekend outside of Drumheller (Alberta), I learned from one of the scouts that they had both heard and seen a rattlesnake the day before. I was quite alarmed, as I know for a fact that several of the younger cubs (and even a couple of the scouts) would likely have gone to try and see it, likely not realising how dangerous that could be.

This was a risk I had honestly not thought of before, given that Canadians don't generally think about wild snakes, let alone venomous ones. As we are likely to hold camps/hikes in that area again in the future, this is something I will have to consider going forward.

My question is thus: In the unlikely event that a venomous snake (specifically Crotalus viridis, the prairie rattler) must be moved in order to prevent possible harm to a youth, what is the best way to do so, while minimizing risk both to oneself and (more importantly) to the youth? I already know the basics of how not to end up in a situation where you could get bit (and have covered that with my cubs during my last Snake Night), but besides using two hooks, I gather handling of hots is nothing like any of my other snakes or ones I have caught in the past.

Same as what I already know for other wildlife, I just want to be prepared for the possibility, no matter how remote.
    Last edited by das_nooblet; 04-04-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks
    my advice in NO WAY CONSTITUTES PROFESSIONAL HANDLING EXPERIENCE/ADVICE!

Disclaimer out of the way, I've moved prairie rattlers in Colorado off of hiking trails with success. I simply got a stick as long/longer than the snake, and picked them up in the midsection after they coiled up, hanging off the stick I moved them to a secluded section off of the trails. In warmer months they are literally every 100-150 feet on most of the hiking trails up there lol. I NEVER use the method of grabbing the tail and controlling it, as I don't have enough trust in my skills to manage were that head/fangs are going with that method. I carry them a few inches off the ground so if they attempt to slide off the stick it doesn't harm them.

Again, I have no professional venomous experience but in the event you are left with NO OTHER CHOICE, that is how I've handled moving venomous animals safely. Always best to just leave them be or use a stick to coerce them into moving the right direction rather than moving them yourself ever.
    Last edited by predatorkeeper87; 04-04-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks
    I've only encountered a few venomous snakes along trails before and was content with letting them pass before continuing on. Look up youtube videos of how people control snakes with hooks / tongs and watch their techniques.

I would never do this unless there was no other option, like the snake was stuck in a bathroom or in the middle of a campground. Most campgrounds in areas with high concentrations of snakes know what to do or who to call, sometimes however their solution is killing the snake. Im a big fan of if its not bothering me and i can keep a safe distance it will most likely try to move away from people.

Thanks

Re: Field handling of venemous snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Ba11er View Post
    I would never do this unless there was no other option, like the snake was stuck in a bathroom or in the middle of a campground.
    This is the kind of situation that comes to mind for me when I think of this: For some reason a snake gets into one of the tents (because kids always remember to close them up, right?) or a bathroom, and inadvertently corners one of the kids.

It's not something I think is ever likely to happen, but I still want to be prepared for it. Same reason I always carry spray and a large knife when going into bear or cougar territory.

Definitely planned to look up videos, though a lot of them show keeping yourself safe, whereas If I ever found myself in need of moving a rattler, there would almost certainly be a frightened, unpredictable youth to worry about as well.
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the past I've used a bucket, but ever since I was a kid I've kept buckets with lids in my vehicle as I frequently come across copperheads and cottonmouths and for that reason I also keep a snake hook. I wouldn't recommend anybody trying to move the snake unless they have experience, but IF it has to be moved, you need to find something long to use, like a stick with a curve at the end or something similar.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)