Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

1 members and 3,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Mangrove Monitor Enclosure Design. How do I go about the aquarium?

Alright, so I am conceptualizing my adult enclosure for my Mangrove Monitor and I'm trying to consider how to make the base section, the aquatic part...

First the setup idea...

You know the stackable Vivariums? Where they have 3 or 4 enclosures with sliding glass fronts... well, this is a similar idea, but with access between each level. The base level will be 6'x3' with an aquarium occupying the whole space, probably between 8 and 12" deep. The second level will house dirt, probably about 6 to 8" deep, depending on how large the adult mangrove will be, as well as a lot of rock, and maybe with large terra cotta pots under the soil to act as hides/burrows, which should slightly reduce the weight. The top layer won't have a bottom, only a number of climbing areas, as well as the heat sources.

Now my biggest issues include holding the weight of the soil up, but more over... how do I build the aquarium?

Housing between 90 and 140 gallons it will probably be a plywood aquarium, which will have interior layers that are decent for handling claws. But, how to I make viewing areas? How well would acrylic hold up to razor sharp claws scratching against it, especially with water on the other side? How well could acrylic hold up to a shallow, yet still volumous amount of water?
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks
    I am having a hard time visualizing the entire cage ( I'm still half asleep). Depending on the thickness of the acrylic it can hold up, but will get scratched, no real way around that, is floor space an issue, is that why you are trying to go vertical? If not why couldn't you build a bigger cage that incorporates climbing, then at one end you create a pool area, the heavy duty plastic pond liners that you get at your LHS seem to hold up pretty well over time.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    It's a vertical animal.

But as for floor space, while it isn't a premium, a 6' x 3' enclosure is roughly what is suggested (I think 2.5 is the suggested minimum depth of the enclosure). In addition, it would allow me to see the fish in their area, and the mangrove hunting for them, or just swimming. Not to mention the whole enclosure will be substantially larger for the floor space.

Hrm... just visualize a stacked set of vivariums (the ones with sliding glass doors), but with the bottom an aquarium, the middle a normal vivarium, and the top without a bottom, just climbing area

Thanks

Re: Mangrove Monitor Enclosure Design. How do I go about the aquarium?

Back when I was planning a cage for a Tegu, I came across a lot of designs that incorporated a stock tank at the lowest level. Usually it's for digging, but maybe you can utilize it to hold the amount of water you're wanting?

Thanks
    The volume is regrettably also wanted to be viewed through as well, hence the issues :/

Thanks

I would contact an aquarium company - someplace that builds customs. Or Custom Cages. See if they can help you with planning or ideas. I built a smaller scale aquarium/terrarium combination for a red ear turtle when I was a kid, and got a lot of great advice from a local glass and window company who does custom work (we live in a small town so not many options, especially since I was like fourteen lol). They were at least able to tell me what I could and couldn't do as far as sealants and such.

The weight of water and soil would be the most concerning this for me, especially since you're going up instead of out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    It's a vertical animal.

But as for floor space, while it isn't a premium, a 6' x 3' enclosure is roughly what is suggested (I think 2.5 is the suggested minimum depth of the enclosure). In addition, it would allow me to see the fish in their area, and the mangrove hunting for them, or just swimming. Not to mention the whole enclosure will be substantially larger for the floor space.

Hrm... just visualize a stacked set of vivariums (the ones with sliding glass doors), but with the bottom an aquarium, the middle a normal vivarium, and the top without a bottom, just climbing area

Right I get that, I guess the "stacked vivariums" if you built a tall enclosure with a 6x3 footprint would the entire bottom need to be water? With something that size the weight and filtration would get difficult. Any of the acrylics or poly will get scratched and fast, so that leaves you looking for glass...Say you built a 6x4 foot print and put in a pond liner for one side you would be able to see from the top down. I don't really see another way around it...
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    You know what? I found something decent online, although I'd be making it myself, the design is acceptable. 3'x3'x8" is 50 gallons which would be half the footprint and it would keep me from having to keep 200lbs of dirt suspended over the water. I want to post pictures or a link, but there are copyrights on the images and linking the site would be advertisement XD

Anyway it's DAS Terrarium "Mangrove Monitor"

The name ended up leading me to the site, but it is a moderately good design, it just lacks the necessary branches and overhead climbing. Plus, no matter where it goes, its poop should be fairly well handled, as the water filtration should be able to handle it, and the substrate definitely will be able to. But the real question is how am I going to deal with all the blood that will show up, and I'll need to set up some hiding places for food, as well as take care of the fish

Thanks

A quick tip for designing cages. I use an app on my phone called "quibism". Its basically a simple cad design app. Takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's an invaluable tool to help you visualize a build.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just in case you haven't come across him yet, Joey, King of DIY, on YouTube is a good source for working with acrylic, glass, cutting, drilling, sealing, filtration, lighting, etc. He has a book too. I don't have it yet, but it is on my list.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Oxylepy (04-06-2017)