Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,584

1 members and 2,583 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Snake inspired weaving - first efforts

(Will try to get pics for this later in the week, when BF gets back with his cell.)

Quantica is a lovely and elegant rosy boa. Her colours are sort of a silvery blue, with dark copper/bronze stripes and speckles. I am normally a yarn snob (I used to raise Shetland sheep, even silkworms, and I know how to sort, scour, comb and spin the fleece into yarn - 5 ply gurnsey style, with a hand spindle, not a wheel. I've spun good linen thread as well).

I hadn't woven anything on the inkle loom in a long time. My eyesight went down hill, and I just couldn't pick out tiny threads anymore. Of course I was stuck on Fine weaving...my indigo fermentation vat dyed hand spun (very time consuming yarn to make)...and when the last weaving was a total failure, well, it hurt, and I just put the loom away for couple years.

So, I am really enjoying this very inexpensive WalMart acrylic yarn for some experimenting. Found three shades that make a nice match for the rosy. The plys separate very easily too, and the thinner yarn makes for a good side-to-side weft yarn, keeping it hidden under the warps (the yarns the loom is strung with). I can also add plies to the warp threads in future projects to add texture and colour shading. This acrylic also weaves up surprisingly firm and tight, unlike the fluffy afghans that people normally crochet with this stuff. These are BIG skeins. I've got the warp strung, and completed about two inches of weaving. This particular band will hardly make a dent in the skeins.
    Last edited by distaff; 04-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Nellasaur (04-03-2017),wolfy-hound (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    I hope you'll share a pic or two once you're further along! Weaving is an under-apppreciated art.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nellasaur For This Useful Post:

distaff (04-03-2017)