Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,046

0 members and 2,046 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Mikey the therapy snake

Here's what happened... I was bringing Mikey to the library to work with kids as I have many times before. He was practicing wrapping my neck like his brother does, and he was doing great. It was about 30 degrees out, so he was staying warm. The library is about 3 miles from my house. I had his carrier with. He fell off my neck, and into the crack between my car seat and my center console. I arrived at the library about 1 minute after that. I looked between the seat and console and encouraged him to come out. He normally comes to me when he is called at home. I put both hands in the crack to try to lift him out, and when he came out I found he was already cut open about 1 1/2 inches on his belly. I grabbed my car first aid kit, wrapped him up and ran to my vet.
    When I got there, they said they couldn't help him. I held him for another couple of minutes, and then let them put him down so he wouldn't have so much pain.
    What did I learn? I will never travel in the car with my snakes out anymore. I've done it so many times with Mikey and my other snakes. He just slipped off. The parts under my seat are super sharp, and I didn't move it or anything. I will never travel with them outside their carrier again.
    Mikey was a very special pale royal. Like I said, he would come to me when I called him out of his cage, he was a snuggle monster, he loved to randomly kiss my face, and he loved to take little dives into my shirt and poke his head out and look at me like I was the best mommy ever. I could trust him in the hands of a 2 year old.
    I had him cremated and he's now on my shelf in a velvet bag that says "Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge". The hospital also sent me a card a week later.
    Props to the Como Park Animal Hospital and Bob the Vet Tech who dealt with the pile of tears that I had.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm very sorry this happened.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Mikey the therapy snake

I'm sorry. I cringe when I see pictures people post of their snakes out/loose in a vehicle. Snakes can disappear into the dash or under a seat in no time and as you discovered, there are a lot of sharp/pointy things that can hurt the snake under there.

My small snakes travel in a bag + bin for security, and the adult retics go in a bin with locking handles.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-02-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'm sorry. I cringe when I see pictures people post of their snakes out/loose in a vehicle. Snakes can disappear into the dash or under a seat in no time and as you discovered, there are a lot of sharp/pointy things that can hurt the snake under there.

My small snakes travel in a bag + bin for security, and the adult retics go in a bin with locking handles.
    I hesitated at first when I read this thread, but this is a "nice way" of saying what I was thinking. I fail to see how there was any precaution took to protect this animal. Sorry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Vithaxton (04-15-2017)

Thanks

I transport my snake in a bag, inside of a rubbermaid w locking lid.. I nvr evr transport my snakes in any other manner due to risk of being injured.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It's all about "what if." I also don't drive with a dog on my lap or hanging half out a window, a cat on the back seat window ledge, a guinea pig loose on the floor... it's dangerous for everyone on the road, and could be very damaging to the pet. It's just so not worth it.
    People just don't realize it. Sometimes it takes someone brave enough to share the story so everyone else can smarten-up.