Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

3 members and 3,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Can RHP's get too hot?

So, I've been posting all over the place I feel like and I'm sorry but I'm basically a first time snake owner (I had a petsmart corn snake for a short while, but she died soon after I got her, that was a few years ago.) and I want to know everything I can to keep my boy healthy and am trying to do everything by the book.

Actual question:

I have a radient heat panel that came with my pvc tank (From pvccages.com so I don't know the RHP brand exactly) It's on a thermostat and reading the right temps, but it's pretty hot to the touch, either way, I put my new boy in there yesterday, a little columbian red tail boa, and he keeps reaching up and touching the panel with his face, I'm concerned it might burn him? Will it? I mean he doesn't stay up there for more than a few seconds but still... first time fears?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    They can get quite hot, but it should be just fine for a few seconds! Ideally, you want a proportional/dimming type thermostat for RHP's, like a herpstat. Since the on/off kind allows them to go full power once they turn on.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Can RHP's get too hot?

they will get very hot, but they're on the ceiling and - with proportional heat control - will not cause any harm to your snake. it was a concern for myself at first too, but you realize the snake can't stay in contact with the RHP for any considerate length of time to be of concern.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Sorry for hijacking. This is something I'm worried about too. Is it at all possible for a snake to burn itself if it somehow stays within contact for longer? I'm sorta paranoid that my snake will somehow find a way to wedge itself or get stuck. I have no idea how but I've heard of bp's getting stuck in some unlikely things or scenarios. I also want to make climb areas and a basking shelf but I'm worried that would make it easier for a snake to climb and reach for the rhp.

or is that just not an issue at all?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Sorry for hijacking. This is something I'm worried about too. Is it at all possible for a snake to burn itself if it somehow stays within contact for longer? I'm sorta paranoid that my snake will somehow find a way to wedge itself or get stuck. I have no idea how but I've heard of bp's getting stuck in some unlikely things or scenarios. I also want to make climb areas and a basking shelf but I'm worried that would make it easier for a snake to climb and reach for the rhp.

or is that just not an issue at all?
    I really don't think it's an issue. An example being that lots of people use RHP's for arboreal snakes, who are constantly up there closer to the RHP. As long as you use a good thermostat, it should be just fine. I actually use a VE-100 for mine, which is on/off thermostat, so it gets hot once it turns on, then slowly cools down once it's off.

also no worries about a snake getting stuck on one, it's impossible due to the shape, there's nothing to hang onto.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-29-2017),viper69 (06-16-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Well there are a lot of different views on this. Not sure what Tstat you have but as others mentioned a proportional is best. About $115 for a Herpstat 1.
    I run Pro Panels and heat the entire enclosure with that only so it has to heat up hotter than the 91 Degrees i need 20" lower. (Enclosure Floor). With that said I can leave my hand on it for a indefinite period of time and only end up with a very warm red hand. There are RHP's that I hear have warped and get very hot so if i were you id check the surface temp of that Panel with a Laser thermometer for piece of mind. In the mean time Id say your snakes fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I really don't think it's an issue. An example being that lots of people use RHP's for arboreal snakes, who are constantly up there closer to the RHP. As long as you use a good thermostat, it should be just fine. I actually use a VE-100 for mine, which is on/off thermostat, so it gets hot once it turns on, then slowly cools down once it's off.

also no worries about a snake getting stuck on one, it's impossible due to the shape, there's nothing to hang onto.
    Oh good that makes me feel so much better, thanks for clarifying!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post

Thays is what I thought. After just installing a heat panel the other day I noticed tonight my one ball python climbed up over where the power cord connects to the unit and was hanging out up there. Freaked me out at first but thankfully I’m running it on a herpstat and the surface temp at the time was only 90. I have the panel mounded to the back of the enclosure. Prob only about 1” of actual power cord inside the PVC.

So with all this being said, yes it is possible for your snake to come in contact with it for long periods of time.

Anyone have any any creative ideas on how to stop this from happening? I may have to find a way to stop the snake from getting into that 1.5” gap between the back wall of the cage and the heat panel

thanks In advance
    Last edited by Phantom1987; 04-15-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks
    How big is the hole that the cord leaves the tank through? You could push a piece of PVC pipe that size through the opening (with the cord inside of the pipe). From the sound of it, you would only need about a 2 inch piece of pipe, and that should, if I am visualizing this correctly, fill the space above the cord that the snake is using to get around it.

Hopefully that makes sense...
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    How big is the hole that the cord leaves the tank through? You could push a piece of PVC pipe that size through the opening (with the cord inside of the pipe). From the sound of it, you would only need about a 2 inch piece of pipe, and that should, if I am visualizing this correctly, fill the space above the cord that the snake is using to get around it.

Hopefully that makes sense...
    thanks for the reply but the hole is small. It’s a PVC enclosure that wasn’t cheap haha not about to drill a large enough hole for that to work. I may have a solution. Just gotta find a plastic U clip (elections and plumbers) use them. That should block it off when I screw it in place

Ny other BP doesn’t even try lol this girl I got us a curious one