Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,473

4 members and 3,469 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: The Back float

Thanks

The Back float

I have two 8 month old hognose snakes in a 8x2x2 coffee table. A male and a female. The male is the chillest snake ever. The female is full of attitude. She always huffs and puffs something terrible until you pick her up, then she is fine. When I first got her, she didnt eat for 3months, one day she decided to eat and has been like a fat kid to cake ever since.

Which brings me to her new weirdness. For the last 2 weeks, she has been floating on her back in the deep side of her water bowl. I even pulled her out to feed her in a small 10gallon twice.(she ate as soon as see saw the pinkie both times). Within a hour of having put her back, she climbed back in her water bowl. It's very cute that she looks around at me while floating, but this seems crazy abnormal.

There is no mites and she seems normal other than her newest hobby. The male seems super lonely without her but he is perfectly healthy. They keep a 83 to 75 degree grade and have 8 hides, 2 inchs of bedding, and a sand box over the 8sqft to play in.

TLR-
    Young hognose has been doing the back float for 2 weeks. Is that something anyone has ever heard of?

pic1
    pic2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beefieee For This Useful Post:

se7en (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Can't say I've seen that before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    sounds hilarious. i want to see pics and/or video.

my mistake- did not see that you linked two pics.
    Last edited by se7en; 03-28-2017 at 08:52 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: The Back float

I've never heard of anything like this before. It could be something neurological or a number of other things. Your best bet is to always have them checked out by a vet who specializes in reptiles when you're concerned. Take a fecal sample in with you as well if possible. Not a vet who has seen a few iguanas over the years but has the experience and is knowledgeable.

I would also separate them as snakes are solitary animals and they are only together to breed then they go their separate ways. Hognoses are no exception and while you may not have issues now that doesn't mean it won't happen.