Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,011

1 members and 3,010 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Converting the garage

Lindsay and I are converting our garage to the new reptile room, we have out grown our spare bedroom. My torts are in the spare dinning room now. (old pic)
    We started off by wiring new outlets.

Then we insulated the room with blow in cellulose, 26bags! This was pretty fun! Kinda messy lol

Next step we painted the room and hung a few lights. The wife didn't like the brightness so now we have a few new ones on order. We decided to put uvb bulbs in two of the lights for the live plants.

After the new lights arrive and are hung, we need to level out the floor, I'd really like feedback on this part. I don't want to ruin the garage in case we move down the road. There is a inch and a half difference and the slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NobleReptiles.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thom Noble For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-27-2017),rock (03-28-2017),WastelandExotics (03-29-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I love this project!!!
    I'm not 100% sure you want to level the floor though. From the little bit I see, that doesn't appear to be an old house, so it doesn't seem that the inch-and-a-half difference is due to settling, that would take many years. The pitch in the floor was designed intentionally for drainage and other purposes. You may be better off putting some shims under the sides of some of your enclosures/stands if really needed. But I'm guessing an inch-and-a-half is over at least 8-10 feet, which probably won't effect a whole lot.
    I'm not 100% sure on this, as I only have a handful of years of carpentry/building/construction experience...
    Any which way, keep up the great work and please keep the updates and pics coming.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-28-2017),rock (03-28-2017),Thom Noble (03-28-2017),zina10 (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Re: Converting the garage

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I love this project!!!
    I'm not 100% sure you want to level the floor though. From the little bit I see, that doesn't appear to be an old house, so it doesn't seem that the inch-and-a-half difference is due to settling, that would take many years. The pitch in the floor was designed intentionally for drainage and other purposes. You may be better off putting some shims under the sides of some of your enclosures/stands if really needed. But I'm guessing an inch-and-a-half is over at least 8-10 feet, which probably won't effect a whole lot.
    I'm not 100% sure on this, as I only have a handful of years of carpentry/building/construction experience...
    Any which way, keep up the great work and please keep the updates and pics coming.
    Thank you! The house is new, well we bought it new three years ago. I'll have to put rack out there and play around.

NobleReptiles.com

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Noble View Post
    Thank you! The house is new, well we bought it new three years ago. I'll have to put rack out there and play around.

Again, I'm only sharing my limited knowledge and experience, but I do believe you can find a better alternative the leveling the floor. The project really looks great so far. My girlfriend and I are getting ready to embark on a whole house renovation (our house was built in 1891) which will be including a dedicated reptile room. Right now they are all in my spare bedroom kinda where they fit. Can't wait to have an actual reptile room though!! We are converting our two-family home into a single family, so we have plenty of room now! I can't wait!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Again, I'm only sharing my limited knowledge and experience, but I do believe you can find a better alternative the leveling the floor. The project really looks great so far. My girlfriend and I are getting ready to embark on a whole house renovation (our house was built in 1891) which will be including a dedicated reptile room. Right now they are all in my spare bedroom kinda where they fit. Can't wait to have an actual reptile room though!! We are converting our two-family home into a single family, so we have plenty of room now! I can't wait!!
    Looking forward to your updates!

NobleReptiles.com

Thanks
    Great project, nice details! Please keep the updates coming. Really, really nice!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Noble View Post
    Looking forward to your updates!

Thanks, me too!! Hahahaha. We are still a bit away though, we're in the drawing board phase now. Luckilly, we own the house, no mortgage or anything, so we have time and options...
    I will be posting the reptile room updates though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thom Noble (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

If you don't think you will be moving things around much, then you can probably building some low risers that come out about 3 or 4 feet from the wall, depending on the depth of the racks. From an ambient heat perspective, it may make sense to have the lowest tubs elevated off the floor anyways. The risers will resolve the leveling issue without compromising the drainage. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-28-2017),Thom Noble (03-28-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    If you don't think you will be moving things around much, then you can probably building some low risers that come out about 3 or 4 feet from the wall, depending on the depth of the racks. From an ambient heat perspective, it may make sense to have the lowest tubs elevated off the floor anyways. The risers will resolve the leveling issue without compromising the drainage. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
    Good thinking!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    Good thinking!

Thanks

Okay so I think we have the floor figured out. Just need to get the materials and rip some boards. Just about done with the room. Can't wait to show it off

15. The Following User Says Thank You to noblereptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-28-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast