Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,039

2 members and 3,037 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Temperature

Thanks

Temperature

I have a baby ball python and It is very difficult to make different temps at different ends because the tank is only 5.5 gallons. (it is only temporary, it was the only one i could afford at the moment and the snake was given to me on short notice. So the humidity is 60 and the temperature is about 75 in the middle. only a couple degrees colder on one side and a couple degrees warmer on the warm side. Is this okay? I have another snake in a 20 gallon long tank but i am uncomfortable with housing them together so will she be fine until I can save up to buy another tank?

Thanks

Re: Temperature

Housing them together is quite a big no no. The ambient temperature should be 80 degrees with a hot spot of 90 for appropriate thermoregulation and digestion. What about using a sterilite container? They are remarkably cheaper than glass tanks, and hold both humidity and heat better. You can pick up the perfect size for a baby bp for $1.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python "Juju"
    1.0 Anerythystic Colombian Boa "Ludo"
    1.0 Amerlanistic Kinked Corn Snake "Oscar Pistorious"
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks
    How long would it take you to get another tank? Check your local Craigslist and see if there are any 20 gals for sale, there's usually a few if you look and usually pretty cheap.

Also, how are you heating the tank and how are you measuring temps and humidity? If you can I would bump that ambient from 75 to at least 80 to be safe, those temps won't kill but that's a respiratory infection waiting to happen if you keep them that cool for extended periods. If you cant afford an emergency 20 gal I doubt you can afford an emergency trip to an exotic vet, so for now priority is to bump those temps and keep them up, and get that tank ASAP. You could even use a tub like a sterilite or rubber maid if you already have one or can't find a cheap tank. They're actually preferable to tanks imo.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 03-27-2017 at 10:18 PM.