Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,549

1 members and 3,548 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Striking but not eating

I got a snake from Petsmart Friday, it is Monday and I just tried feeding him. I tried 1 F/T small mice. I put in a warm cup of water for 45 minutes and tried to feed. When I first tried it took he/she about 15 seconds to strike and he struck the middle and held on for a minute or 2 and then let go so I tried again and the same thing happened. Then I tried for a 3rd time and he wouldn't try at all to strike. I would dangle it around for 5 minutes and he did nothing. He is less than a year old probably 6 months. His temps are for the warm 88-92 and for the cold 76-80. He is in a 6 qt tub with under tank heaters and a thermostat.

Thanks
    Only two days to settle in isn't much, most people give a solid 5 to 7 days with no interactions besides spot cleaning and water changes before attempting feeding or handling. Your husbandry sounds on point so it may possibly be stress from not allowing her time to acclimate.

Could also be that the mouse isn't hot enough. It needs to be nice and warm to the touch, almost hot, when you offer it... and from what it sounds like leaving the mouse in warm water for 45 minutes probably didn't do the job, especially since it will lose a lot of the heat between you taking it out of the water walking over and offering it to the snake. 98 to 101 degrees is average body temp for a rat, and I usually achieve good temps by holding the rat under the tap with the water running hot (but not uncomfortably so) for a minute or two.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 03-27-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you know if it was eating F/T on it's own before (and I insist on it's own as some will be assisted in stores) if not you need to focus on having the snake feed not trying to switch it. That means offer live for 3 to 5 meals and then focus on switching.

I usually recommend to leave the animal alone no handling for a week before offering food you might have been in a rush to offer IMO, leave your snake alone for a week, no handling and try again.

You also want to walk away when the prey is snatched and not stare some will find it disturbing enough to abandoned their prey. It is normal for them to let go sniff the prey and then swallow it you taking it back and trying again is counter productive.

When it comes to F/T and young animal the most efficient method is to let the prey thaw at room temp near the enclosure to entice the snake to eat and let it thaw slowly and warm it up with a hair dryer, holding the prey from behind it's neck and dragging it moving it around like a live mouse would.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BBotteron (03-27-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would follow the advice given above. Let the snake get comfortable and acclimated for a week, only going into the enclosure for quick spot-cleans and water changes. If it were me, I'd probably wait til at least Saturday to try feeding again.
    What was the animal eating prior to you taking it home?
    You may have not warmed they prey enough (but be careful not to cook it by heating too fast under too much heat)
    It will be best to walk away after your snake strikes and takes the feeder in it's mouth. Resist the temptation to watch, and let the animal eat. The most important thing is the animal's health, so some privacy may be what the animal needs to feel comfortable eating.
    The second and third attempt probably stressed and discouraged your snake from eating.
    Give your snake some time to settle in. With proper care, you will have many years to enjoy your new snake.

Thanks

Re: Striking but not eating

Are you putting the mouse in a bag before its in the water?
    Did you test to make sure the mouse is warm to the touch?

Ive never had a snake any picky towards eating due to relocation. But thats just me.
    Last edited by KingNoFace; 03-28-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    0.1 Albino Corn
    1.0 Ball Python
    0.1 Striped California King

Thanks

it was in a bag. I think it could of been to cold because it didn't feel to hot. I am gonna feed him Saturday and after he gets it i am gonna turn lights of and walk away. I think it could of been me watching him to much and it was bright.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillonfail For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dillonfail View Post
    it was in a bag. I think it could of been to cold because it didn't feel to hot. I am gonna feed him Saturday and after he gets it i am gonna turn lights of and walk away. I think it could of been me watching him to much and it was bright.
    The secret of feeding thawed is to get them nice and warm and offer IMMEDIATELY with tongs , best to offer in the evenings as they're nocturnal of course , low lighting and let the heat-pits do their job.

Most of my Royals will only strike from within their hides and drag it in to eat so I just dangle it in front of the entrance and BOOM !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

KingNoFace (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    The secret of feeding thawed is to get them nice and warm and offer IMMEDIATELY with tongs , best to offer in the evenings as they're nocturnal of course , low lighting and let the heat-pits do their job.

Most of my Royals will only strike from within their hides and drag it in to eat so I just dangle it in front of the entrance and BOOM !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Should i feed him again today because I don't think he ate because it was cold and because i was watching him in a light area?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dillonfail View Post
    Should i feed him again today because I don't think he ate because it was cold and because i was watching him in a light area?
    I'd normally say leave for 5 to 7 days but if he's such a good striker it maybe worth trying again tonight .
    Just has to be WARM . I have a hairdryer in the snake room. As long as he shows interest or tongue flicks then offer warm , especially if he's in his hide .
    Just keep warming and offering till successful .
    If there is not even a tongue flick then best leave it for a while . Remember low lighting .

I've even used a torch in the past but don't shine it near the snake of course

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'd normally say leave for 5 to 7 days but if he's such a good striker it maybe worth trying again tonight .
    Just has to be WARM . I have a hairdryer in the snake room. As long as he shows interest or tongue flicks then offer warm , especially if he's in his hide .
    Just keep warming and offering till successful .
    If there is not even a tongue flick then best leave it for a while . Remember low lighting .

I've even used a torch in the past but don't shine it near the snake of course
    I am gonna try again tonight and if he doesn't flick his tongue I am gonna wait till Saturday to feed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillonfail For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-28-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast