Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,430

0 members and 1,430 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Gravid?

Thanks

Gravid?

Hello everyone, LuvBall here. I just bought a 1400 g female breeder hypo off of a guy over the weekend. He mentioned that she may be gravid due to retained sperm from last year as he did not pair her up this season. Supposedly she laid 4 eggs last year. He told me before that she was displaying some signs of being gravid and now that I have her she has been staying on the cooler side of her tub coiled up. She does not wrap around her water dish as i've seen photos of gravid females doing. She has refused feedings for the past 3 weeks but I am letting her settle for a couple of more days before I offer her a rat. Does it sound to you guys like she may be expecting to drop eggs? Not enough info to go on perhaps? I haven't noticed any swelling or cant say I feel follicles either. I'm hoping she is not gravid I want to get her ready for next year. Shes healthy and has very nice disposition.

Thanks

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If she is on the cool side she is not gravid, they stay on the cool side has they build up. Animals who ovulate will return to the warm side.

Not feeding for an animal that size that you recently purchased is not unusual, adult can take more time to adjust and go of feed 6 months or more with their new owner.

I can't comment on the breeder saying he has observed signs of her possibly being gravid since I do not know the breeder nor do I know his level of experience.
    Deborah Stewart