Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

2 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Help-Vision Cages V400 set up w/Pro Heat RHP

Hello. I have been wanting a larger enclosure to house my BP. I was planning to use a larger glass terrarium that I have, but I found a great deal in a used Vision Cages V400 so I picked it up over the weekend. I have Pro Heat PH3 on order as well. I will be using a Herpstat2 as the tstat.
    I have read the great thread on setting up an AP T8, but haven't been able to find very much advise specific to setting up a Vision Cages enclosure. I want to have everything dialed in before I move Scales into his new home. He's currently in a 20 gallon L terrarium.

I also have a large UTH that I can use if needed. Based on what I've been told, it will most likely stay off most of the time as long as the PH3 creates enough of a hotspot. I will have one probe with the uth set up to be used if needed.

I need help to decide the best place to put the probe for my Herpstat to best regulate the temperature of the RHP. I have read several different options for probe placement (against the side wall of the enclosure, on the RHP lens, under the substrate on the hot side, and under the substrate on the cold side). Does anyone have any recommendations on placement and where to drill holes in the enclosure for the probe placement. Also, I'd love set up suggestions for anyone that has the same or similar Vision Cages model that might have suggestions.

I do have an Accurite thermometer/hygrometer with the probe that I will used to monitor hotspot and ambient temps.

It was was suggested that I cover the back vent to better hold in the heat and humidity as well. Has anyone else done this with a Vision Cage? It makes me a little nervous to completely cover it. Plus, I had planned to put a light over the vent. Has anyone mounted an led light strip insid the enclosure? The roof plastic seems a little this so I'm a little hesitant to drill any more holes than I have to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Help-Vision Cages V400 set up w/Pro Heat RHP

I don't have Vision & I only know 2 people that do and they dont use RHP.
    Setting up PVC is setting up PVC. I suggest you go to Google and look at every picture and Link connected to PVC enclosures before you drill. I hang the Herpstat 2 probes 1/2 way down, between ceiling/floor. I have my Acurite probe under my Butcher Paper under Hot Hide and Unit on cool side mounted to back wall 4" up from the floor. I also check substrate for 24 hrs before putting snakes in.. Obviously you've read about this and you'll be running the herpstat higher than the surface temp you want.. Look for 110-130 ect...depending on the size & Hight of your enclosure for a 90 degree substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

bcking98 (03-27-2017)

Thanks

Re: Help-Vision Cages V400 set up w/Pro Heat RHP

Thank you for the response. When you say half way down between the ceiling and floor, Do you just let it dangle in the air? If so, I'm assuming you drilled a hole in the top of the enclosure. Did you hang the probe on the cold side to regulate the cool side temp or is it on the hot side under/near the RHP?

Thanks again for your help. I've been searching on YouTube for Vision Setup videos too but they are far away and don't talk about probe placement. I agree that I am very gun shy about drilling until I know exactly what I want to do.

What do do you do with the excess cord from your Accurite probe? I just run it up one side in the back and back in on the opposite side for the 20 long. That doesn't work with the vision without drilling more holes.

Thanks again for the help.