Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

2 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

GSD/Husky Rescue Questions

Hi all,
    I know a lot of people on here have their own pups, but are also involved in rescue/volunteer work of various sorts. I have a request for some advice:

My husband and I currently have one AKC registered GSD and one mixed dog that we adopted from a local shelter. We'd love to have another GSD or possible a husky, and I specifically want to rescue/adopt this time around rather than purchase from a breeder. I've found out, however, that most rescues for GSD and/or huskies have strict stipulations on requiring a fenced in yard.

We live on a 130 acre farm. Our dogs are inside dogs and don't go outside unless we are with them. Rescues won't even talk to us - as soon as they hear farm, they shut down.

We are actually building a house on the far side of the same farm, and want to install a large dog run/kennel for our pups to get more fresh air during the summer months when we're at work. They wouldn't live in the kennel, they would still very much be inside dogs. I'd like to make this space big enough to be considered a "fenced in yard" by a rescue organization.

With all that said, any thoughts on what dimensions would be best for this? What would a rescue deem acceptable?

Again, my hubs and I are really willing to put time, effort, and money into this. We feed our dogs grain free, we have stellar vet records and get full rounds of shots every year. We can even provide the name of our groomer whom the dogs see at least once a month. The only thing holding us back is the darn fenced in yard!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Typically, the husky dog will just run, which is why a very secure fence is necessary. Be prepared for the possibility of a husky that can never be let off leash. Running is what they were bred for, not guarding, nor herding, nor obedience in the usual sense. They also tend to have a high prey drive.

The care guides on the rescue sites will have good info. that can help you decide if a husky would be a good fit. I came VERY close to adopting one from our local pound several years ago. I volunteered there, and really enjoyed working with her, but I also knew she would not be a good fit into our household, where we walk out in the desert, with our other dogs loose.

I love the breed, and would still like to own one.
    Maybe some day...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Rescues can be tricky, some of them are downright crazy. Been there, tried that. :I

Since the main reason for requiring a "fenced in yard" is to ensure that the dog can not escape, I think installing a large chain link fenced in area around your house (whichever house you want to keep the dog in) would work. So essentially make it sound like it's a house with a large yard on your property, and pretend the rest of your farmland is moot. LOL. It's all in the phrasing...

After you guys get this installed, I wouldn't even mention the word "farm", since some rescue people flip out over the word. Just say "large property with fenced in yard". haha. I would also emphasize that the dog will be an indoor dog, and won't roam freely in the yard when you aren't watching. Most rescues like dogs staying indoors, and they hate the idea of kennel runs.

Make sure the chain link is at least 6 feet.

I have experience trying to adopt through a load of GSD rescues, but I'm sure husky rescues would be even more strict about their fence requirements, since huskies are known to be escape artists (jump high, dig deep) and don't come when called lol.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-27-2017 at 03:29 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-27-2017),Reinz (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I had Huskies for almost 20 years and Malamutes for 20 years before that. I mention the Malamutes because I found them to be just about identical in most behaviors.

What distaff and RS just said about Huskies is spot on in my experience. They can be a fulfilling dog, but very frustrating as well. All of mine would escape at the first opportunity and were hard to catch. I don't want to say that they LIKE to kill animals, but they have retained some of their Wolfish nature.

My first Malamute would only tolerate other dogs. Any other animal was killed that he got near. We lived on a ranch at the time, and he even came close to killing a calf. He killed ducks, geese, chickens, peacocks, snakes, skunks, Possum, armadillos, frogs, you name it. If he could reach it he would kill it. I think he eradicated all of the rabbits on the ranch too, because he raided all of the rabbit nests with pups. He would also eat the previously mentioned big birds. He was an absolute sweetheart with humans though.

A friend of mine had a Malamute from totally different lineage that was a killer as well. Oddly enough, that dog grew up on a ranch too. My friend ended up giving me that dog.

The Malamutes and Huskies that followed over the next 25 years we're not killers per se, but not from the lack of trying.

The last Huskie got along fine with our cat surprisingly enough, but did chase outdoor critters.

Also, the biggest meatheads I have ever had; stubborn, stubborn, stubborn!

Best of luck in your pursuit.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-27-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

Re: GSD/Husky Rescue Questions

Thanks for the advice! Personally, I prefer the GSD breed as I've raised two of them, and enjoy their drive and intelligence. My husband has more experience with huskies, and that would be his preference... though, like it's been said here, I really worry about their need to run and escape, especially out where we live.

Our mix actually has some husky in her, and even though she's geriatric and overweight, she still likes to wander a bit more than our GSD. When we walk through the fields, she's always the one that goes further and seems far more reluctant to listen and come back

I'm leaning more towards GSD, but even the local GSD rescue in Indy requires a fenced in yard and says anyone inquiring without one will be ignored
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 03-27-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Personally, I prefer the GSD breed as I've raised two of them, and enjoy their drive and intelligence. My husband has more experience with huskies, and that would be his preference... though, like it's been said here, I really worry about their need to run and escape, especially out where we live.

Our mix actually has some husky in her, and even though she's geriatric and overweight, she still likes to wander a bit more than our GSD. When we walk through the fields, she's always the one that goes further and seems far more reluctant to listen and come back

I'm leaning more towards GSD, but even the local GSD rescue in Indy requires a fenced in yard and says anyone inquiring without one will be ignored
    I prefer GSD's too... I'm getting one this summer! My dream sport dog for almost a decade.

I'm pretty sure all rescues require a fenced in yard, it's just an extra assurance that the dog won't wander off. I do think there should be exceptions depending on the commitment/experience level of the owner, but I guess that's just to keep out potential trouble to begin with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I prefer GSD's too... I'm getting one this summer! My dream sport dog for almost a decade.

I'm pretty sure all rescues require a fenced in yard, it's just an extra assurance that the dog won't wander off. I do think there should be exceptions depending on the commitment/experience level of the owner, but I guess that's just to keep out potential trouble to begin with.

Here's my guy, Aries, with his best buddy Zeke the cat. Aries is the biggest baby ever and my Velcro dog - I can't leave a room that he's not following me to check on me. He's laying in the kitchen here while I'm making breakfast. Definitely makes me feel protected when my husband is gone in the evenings to class (since we live at the end of one way drive and it gets DARK at night). He's got a big, intimidating bark but isn't much good for anything but an alarm dog - he's everyone's friend lol

We did purchase him from a breeder and raised him from a pup - he's registered with the AKC but no plans to breeder since he's fixed

Sorry, the pic didn't load through tapatalk:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 03-27-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Here's my guy, Aries, with his best buddy Zeke the cat. Aries is the biggest baby ever and my Velcro dog - I can't leave a room that he's not following me to check on me. He's laying in the kitchen here while I'm making breakfast. Definitely makes me feel protected when my husband is gone in the evenings to class (since we live at the end of one way drive and it gets DARK at night). He's got a big, intimidating bark but isn't much good for anything but an alarm dog - he's everyone's friend lol

We did purchase him from a breeder and raised him from a pup - he's registered with the AKC but no plans to breeder since he's fixed

Sorry, the pic didn't load through tapatalk:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So cute! I saw the pic before, for some reason it showed up fine on my computer. And that's lovely that he's everyone's friend LOL. My puppy will hopefully from this litter that I've been anticipating for awhile, from west german working lines. The parents are one of a kind, trial nationally in schutzhund and well known in the working world... they just have perfect temperament for what I'm looking for, so I really hope it works out.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-27-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks
    Little late weighing in, but I work with a German Shepherd Rescue in Southern California. The fenced in yard rule as others have said is to ensure that the dogs aren't able to get out. You have to understand that a lot of dogs that come to the rescue are strays that were picked up and not claimed by anyone. We actually get a lot of GSDs in at our rescue that were abandoned on farms. Now we don't automatically ignore someone with a farm, but we do require a fenced in area where the dog can be safely contained. We are a smaller rescue and perform home visits before adoptions take place. Each potential adopter is taken into consideration, to just ignore someone seems a little short sighted IMO.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)