Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,761

4 members and 2,757 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Wrong forum, but I need instant help.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreocupcake View Post
    I dont know much about them but that is way too slinny in my opinion. I would just tell them everything you know and make sure you can take him. If they dont visit him how they gonna know when he died if its been 6 months. If they wouldnt do it to a dog then not a snake eother

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    ^^^^^^this.
    It's upsetting that some people think it is acceptable to keep reptiles/other animals in conditions that would appall them if a dog or cat was involved. Neglect is neglect.
    Unfortunately, I would question how receptive the owners would be to learning from caresheets, etc. I agree with everyone else that this animal needs a rehome situation and I think it is commendable that you are considering fostering it/nursing it back to health (just make sure you quarantine if you do!)
    Either way, keep us posted. Thank goodness for caring people like you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EmilyandArlo For This Useful Post:

Oreocupcake (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Casual hint time is over. It's never easy to break it down to friends/family but you really need to.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-28-2017),Trisnake (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: I need instant help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to hold off feeding for a bit to get it hydrated and out of its stuck shed? Feeding severely dehydrated animals usually kills them since they can't digest properly. Any food before its fully hydrated is probably a bad idea - not sure how long it would take to get this guy properly hydrated. He looks bad enough that a vet's advice on if he needs IV fluids would be good if possible.
    This is correct. I would give the snake a few days to rehydrate and then offer a very small meal. Corn snakes usually take f/t so the feeder could be offered wet also.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Well.... all I know is that I would have been more straight forward and to the point about exactly how neglected and poor-of-shape this animal is. They obviously don't give a crap about it, and neither does the niece if she pawned the poor thing off onto her aunt/uncle-- probably got bored with it and/or didn't want to put the effort into caring for it.

When they get back you NEED to let them know just how wrong this is. That poor animal is emaciated and on the verge of death, and no, that's not just an opinion, it is a fact. Make sure they fully understand this. Ask them how they expect a cold blooded animal to be able to function normally without a heat source or water-- explain to them that heat is absolutely essential to digestion and metabolic processes and that snakes need water just as much as any other living thing. Explain how being cold blooded impacts an organisms physiological and environmental needs, have them logic it out for a second. Make it clear to them that this poor snake living for so long in conditions that are quite literally counterintuitive to its survival is testiment to just how resilient these animals are-- leaving him down there in the cool dark basement for months without food water heat and probably light is deadly, just slower than conventional means. That animal is suffering; would they feel bad if it were a mammal, like a kitten or a bunny rabbit? These are things that need to be said; they won't think about it otherwise.

You have to be polite yet firm. TELL them what's up, no wishy washy "I think this is off" or "maybe you should change this". And let them know it's in the best interest of the animal that you take him. If they have an issue with the niece then let them know that putting an animal in a box in the basement and forgetting about them when you want to is a horrible way to teach responsibility to a child... Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 03-27-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree, be firm, but polite and take this poor animal away from these people and off of its death bed. They clearly have neglected the animal to the point it is about to die. Even if they or the niece object, what's happening is cruelty, no matter how you slice it.

Thanks

I left him for two hours while I went out. He had full clean water bowl and when I came back, it was half as much so he must've drank some. The shed around his eyes was off (thank god) and he got most of the stuff around his head loose. Right now I have him in a container soaking for 20 minutes. Should I take a washcloth to wash off whatever shed I can? Would it was damp or wet or dry? None of mine have had a problem shedding, and they're ball pythons so I don't know if it's different.. Can you tell by the size what I should try feeding him? Would rats or mice be better? I know that mice are fattier and I think he would need that right now. Tonight I'm having my mother bring up to them letting me foster and then I'm going to bring up the facts and conditions.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadance For This Useful Post:

EmilyandArlo (03-27-2017)

Thanks

Honestly I say to hell with talking to them about it, by the time you persuade them that it's inhumane it might be too late for the poor thing. Just take it with you when you leave and see how long it takes them to notice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ja88er For This Useful Post:

rock (03-27-2017)

Thanks

I'm about ready to do that. You guys ready to see how skinny he is?
    I can't believe somebody would let it get to this point. But update - I got all the shed off. Double checked the eyes and tail. He went from not moving and making a crumpling noise of he tried, to being so active. He kept going through my hair and he seemed so much happier to have had all that shed removed. Should I try to feed him today? He has been drinking and I think he is about as hydrated as he can get, under these conditions..

Thanks

This situation is so messed up! Thankfully you are there. Do not leave without taking that snake. A slow cruel death is beyond words. Shameful.

Hopefully someone with knowledge here will advise you about feeding it right now. Happy to see you have done what you have done.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

Does anybody know how I would be able to take him? I live 10 hours away.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast