Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

1 members and 2,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

I need instant help.

I'm visiting some people I knew when I was younger, and they have a corn snake. I got really excited when I heard that. Then I saw him. He is probably 5-7 years old. There is no heat source that I can see, his water dish is empty, and he is in shed. I have only ever had a ball python, so I'm not too keen on corn snake care. If you could give me some quick guidelines or care sheets, I would highly appreciate that, as I know many people on this forum house both corn and bp. They said they try to feed him often, but forget. He didn't eat for almost a month because they forget they had him. I have never seen a snake so skinny. I dropped down some of my knowledge of ball pythons, in hopes they would realize this is not how he should be treated. I talked about the shedding process and explained why they need humidity. They said he doesn't drink so the didn't see why he needs water. As soon as they left the house, I filled up his water bowl. I was expecting him to strike at me because they said he is aggressive. Instead he started flicking his tongue and trying to go into the jar that I poured the water from. He started soaking his head once the water bowl was filled up. He has been doing that for probably 10 minutes. From what I saw, the shed around his head was covering his eyes. His tank is behind boxes in a basement. They have exchange students and when I was down there, they didn't even know there was a snake. Their room is right across from the boxes and they never even saw anybody go back there in the 6 months they've been here. The owners know he is being neglected, but they got the snake from their niece. They would need to ask her if they give it away. My plan is to prove a good enough point that I can take the snake home and nurse him back to health. I need help with doe point I could bring up. I know this is the wrong forum, but this is much more active than the corn snake one and I just want to help him..
    Please tell me the care for a corn snake and what points I should bring up tonight when I talk to them.
    I'm using tapatalk and it won't let me upload photos..

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Wrong forum, but I need instant help.

Should a full grown corn snake be this skinny? I don't know the gender.

Thanks

Re: Wrong forum, but I need instant help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadance View Post

Should a full grown corn snake be this skinny? I don't know the gender.

I dont know much about them but that is way too slinny in my opinion. I would just tell them everything you know and make sure you can take him. If they dont visit him how they gonna know when he died if its been 6 months. If they wouldnt do it to a dog then not a snake eother

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moved to the proper forum.

Start here

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ttata-guttata)
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Start by reading the care sheet Deborah provided a link for. Share this with the snake's keepers.

The snake is clearly underfed and likely dehydrated. Don't worry about the underwater head, it's drinking (yes, they do drink even if the owners haven't witnessed it). And possibly multi tasking by soaking that dried shed.

Since the snake is kept behind boxes in the basement, I feel confident it lacks a proper environment also. This is a snake that needs a new home ASAP. I can't imagine why the niece would object to that since she obviously doesn't care for the snake either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    That's awful! That poor snake is almost dead. I hope you can help it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Re: I need instant help.

Ask if you can "foster" it while they're asking their niece about giving it away. If they don't even know it's there, they shouldn't miss it. Poor thing... corn snakes rarely have issues with shedding, so this one may just be too weak to get the job done. I would get it to eat first and foremost. If it can hold a meal down, that's a good start.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-27-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I like the "foster" suggestion. After all, possession is...

Sorry, couldn't care less what the niece thinks at this point. Since she isn't taking care of her pet, she shouldn't be allowed to have it, and at this point, No, I don't think she ought to get to have any say in the matter, either.

Too bad, so sad.

I really hope you can help this snake.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I honestly would just up and tell them "I'm sorry to say this and wanted to say this earlier, but this snake has been neglected for too long and is in really bad shape... it's actually almost dead".

And then ask if you could "temporarily foster" the snake to treat it back to health (of course which most likely means permanently), like whipple said.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-27-2017 at 03:15 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (03-28-2017)

Thanks

Re: I need instant help.

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Ask if you can "foster" it while they're asking their niece about giving it away. If they don't even know it's there, they shouldn't miss it. Poor thing... corn snakes rarely have issues with shedding, so this one may just be too weak to get the job done. I would get it to eat first and foremost. If it can hold a meal down, that's a good start.

Wouldn't it be better to hold off feeding for a bit to get it hydrated and out of its stuck shed? Feeding severely dehydrated animals usually kills them since they can't digest properly. Any food before its fully hydrated is probably a bad idea - not sure how long it would take to get this guy properly hydrated. He looks bad enough that a vet's advice on if he needs IV fluids would be good if possible.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast