Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,400

0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: HELP!!! Ball Python's skin cracked, folded, looks shredded?!

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    What kind of substrate to you have? And what is your humidity? I like coconut husk substrate because it holds a lot of water and doesn't mold. I'm guessing the stuck shed is from the heating lamp, that will dry things out in a hurry. Personally I'd bump up your room temp to 80F and switch to an under tank heater thermostat controlled set to 88F and ditch the lamp.

My SD retic was like that when I got him, he was on aspen with a heat bulb. Takes awhile to get rid of a stuck shed like that, you'll probably have to soak multiple times, I'd probably feed, wait a couple days, then soak at least once a week. I have another ball python that suddenly had a stuck shed and it took a long time to unstick that one LOL. Not sure what caused that one, he was on damp coconut husk substrate the whole time. If your snake has the wobbles, usually from genetics (certain morphs) you'll have to make sure to watch or assist during soaking so they don't drown.

I use aspen bedding on the bottom of his tank—and i've never monitored his humidity at all. I always assumed because it was hot in my room, I wouldn't need to worry about anything, but I think I should start worrying about it!

I'm going to buy an accurite meter this week and i'll keep you guys updated on his humidity then (question: should the accurite be inside of his tank, or outside of his tank?)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythondad View Post
    thanks so much!! you guys are so kind here, I was worried someone would have accused me of abusing my little guy. with all this information, he should get better in no time—I gave him a soak today as you all reccomended and a lot of the skin came off! now just a few more soaks, some tank and feeding adjustments, and i'll be posting pictures of my big ol' boy in no time!
    There are some online ball python communities that would get angry and react that way, but I think this forum is really nice- as long as the owner is willing to fix husbandry and help the snake. People here get mad when advice is given and they refuse to take the advice LOL.

I use aspen bedding on the bottom of his tank—and i've never monitored his humidity at all. I always assumed because it was hot in my room, I wouldn't need to worry about anything, but I think I should start worrying about it!

I'm going to buy an accurite meter this week and i'll keep you guys updated on his humidity then (question: should the accurite be inside of his tank, or outside of his tank?)
    The acurite goes inside his tank. Aspen is a dry substrate, so if the humidity is still hard to get up, I would switch to coco husk or reptibark.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

pythondad (03-27-2017)

Thanks

thanks so much!! you guys are so kind here, I was worried someone would have accused me of abusing my little guy. with all this information, he should get better in no time—I gave him a soak today as you all reccomended and a lot of the skin came off! now just a few more soaks, some tank and feeding adjustments, and i'll be posting pictures of my big ol' boy in no time!

Thank you for seeking help for your pet when your gut told you something was wrong. And a huge thank you for being open-minded to the suggestions you've received. The folks on here truly only want the best for the animals. It's pretty clear that Pretzel has a caring owner, and I'm sure that will translate to a healthy scaly friend.

I hope you stick around. I've been on this forum for months, and I swear I learn something new about these critters almost every day.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sallos For This Useful Post:

Esai (03-29-2017),pythondad (03-27-2017),Zincubus (03-28-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123