Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

0 members and 2,825 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

about SYR shipping labels

I'm technically shipping using a standard SYR 12x9x6 box, but when I measure my actual box, it's more like 12.3 x 9.3 x 6.8 ?

I read that there may be additional charges if you don't round up to the inch when entering the shipment size, so I booked a shipment for 13x10x7. Was that necessary or could I have just written 12x9x6?

If so, is there a way to refund/redo the shipment order... LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-25-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: about SYR shipping labels

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I'm technically shipping using a standard SYR 12x9x6 box, but when I measure my actual box, it's more like 12.3 x 9.3 x 6.8 ?

I read that there may be additional charges if you don't round up to the inch when entering the shipment size, so I booked a shipment for 13x10x7. Was that necessary or could I have just written 12x9x6?

If so, is there a way to refund/redo the shipment order... LOL
    I always use 12x9x6 (or whatever the box dimensions are from when I ordered them). You can call SYR if you want - they're very easy to work with.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    I always use 12x9x6 (or whatever the box dimensions are from when I ordered them). You can call SYR if you want - they're very easy to work with.
    Thanks, SYR isn't available on weekends apparently. :S And I'm supposed to be shipping out on Monday. Maybe I'll just lose $25 for this shipment and deal with it LOL.

Thanks

Thanks, SYR isn't available on weekends apparently. :S And I'm supposed to be shipping out on Monday. Maybe I'll just lose $25 for this shipment and deal with it LOL.
    If you call them first thing Monday, you should still be able to make a later in the day drop off (or pick up if you're going that route) time - depending on your schedule of course. The hub I use I can drop off until 6:30pm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (03-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    If you call them first thing Monday, you should still be able to make a later in the day drop off (or pick up if you're going that route) time - depending on your schedule of course. The hub I use I can drop off until 6:30pm.
    Oh cool, hopefully I can do that! I'm free the whole day, working from home haha. thanks!

Thanks

Oh cool, hopefully I can do that! I'm free the whole day, working from home haha. thanks!
    Then perfect!

Thanks
    SYR told me to go with 13x10x7, so I guess that's that LOL.

And ugh, last minute packaging question... I'm shipping a BP from warm climate to cold climate. It's 68 degrees where I am (70 inside my house), but the buyer's climate is 35 low in the early morning. I'm debating whether or not it's safe to use a heat pack, because the temp where I am is pretty much exactly on the border between should I or shouldn't I... I'm shipping to the hub and the buyer is picking up from the hub. Is using a heat pack or not using one safer?

Thanks
    Definitely use a heat pack for that shipment, and be sure it is a 40+ hour heat pack for shipping. Our cutoff for heat pack use is 70F for a high in both origin and destination. It can be tricky when you straddle the line for both a warm day and cold day, but given those temps, use a heat pack. Feel free to contact SYR customer service for help with a specific package or weather situation. We also cover heat pack use and temperature guidelines in the ShipYourReptiles Get Help section- https://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/...ds#question-15

Some direct insight on packaging size-

FedEx scans and audits packages for both actual weight and dimensions. They use scales and lasers. Not sharks with lasers, but a scanner with 17 lasers, so they do get an accurate measurement. I've seen it in person at the Memphis hub, and while you are NOT allowed to take pics in the entire 2 acre sorting facility, it is incredibly impressive.

The do round UP to the nearest whole inch, so your initial booking thought was correct. I'm grateful you did it that way, accurately : )

But what if you round down, or WAY down? They still catch it, and they charge ShipYourReptiles for it. Then we have to charge YOU.

This process is called "adjustments". It is my single least favorite part of the business. Every single week, we have to chase down a $1000 or more in adjustments. Most of those are $5-$10 charges for situations like yours, where folks don't round up, or they go by the size printed on the box.

On that printed size, that is the INTERIOR dimension, and the box manufacturer's use that as the measuring standard. There may be a bit of variance in how the box is glued up, but even then, with the thickness of the cardboard itself, the actual dims might bump to the next full inch. FedEx is charging by actual size regardless, not the box size spec from the manufacturer : )

Ten years ago, your size difference probably wouldn't matter, nobody would catch it. In 2017, they audit 99%+ of packages, they are pretty effective that way.

Some folks enter smaller dims on purpose, because it is "cheaper", and most of the time, they think they are getting over on FedEx. That isn't true. FedEx doesn't bill ShipYourReptiles until they get that measurement, then they bill us for the actual size and weight. So if someone books a package as 7x7x6, but puts that label on a 16x16x8 box, SYR gets invoiced for $40 or $50 more than what we charged the customer. Ugh.

The most egregious of those bad bookings might cost us $200+ per package. Before we wrote code to run adjustments each week (comparing invoiced packages from FedEx to how they were booked at SYR) we had multiple users booking everything as 1x1x1 and 1 pound, then shipping much larger packages. We lost tens of thousands of dollars before we realized that some people would be so shady and just straight off rip you off if they could find a way. That realization was a bummer : )

So you could book your package as 12x9x6, which would save you 10 bucks or so, but then 2-3 weeks after shipping, once FedEx bills us for your package, likely as 13x10x7, we would have to bill you the extra $10. All of this is covered multiple times in the TOS and in the FAQ, but it is never any fun. We don't charge any admin fees, penalties or anything else, just the actual difference, but it's never any fun regardless. And I would drive myself out of business if we didn't chase it down. MOST of the time it is just non-rounded packages, like yours, or folks just guessing at package size without a ruler. But every week, there are still the $50, $60, $70 adjustments from folks thinking they have discovered a money saving secret to get over on FedEx. They are still not happy when we have to come back and get that $70. (we eat any adjustments $2 and under, which still adds up to thousands of dollars a year)

I don't think I've ever discussed adjustments in such detail online before. Thanks for the opportunity. And thanks for your business and support. I'm assuming you used the APS40 coupon code to save 40% on your first shipment? If not, contact me and I will work something out for you : ) Robyn@ShipYourReptiles.com
    Last edited by Robyn@SYR; 03-27-2017 at 07:17 PM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Aste88 (03-28-2017),Eric Alan (03-27-2017),John1982 (03-27-2017),Kcl (03-28-2017),PitOnTheProwl (03-27-2017),redshepherd (03-27-2017),Sallos (03-27-2017)

Thanks
    Oh thanks so much for the info Robyn! I got a lot more knowledge on how this process works. And I had no idea about that coupon code, which is awesome. I will email you!

Thanks
    ... Someone just told me that I shouldn't be shipping my ball python to a low night/morning temp of 35, and implied that my ball python might not make it. I only shipped today because the SYR guidelines said not to ship in a "HIGH" of under 40, not a low.

Someone tell me she's going to be just fine before I give myself a panic attack which I am already doing LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 03-27-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast