Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 553

2 members and 551 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Bci always drinking

So I just got it today and it's head seems to always be in the water like it's drinking.... Is that normal or should I be concerned? He already ate and it's the first day so I assume he's doing well, but I've never seen this behavior in any of my snakes so I just wanted to know what that's all about. thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Depending on where you got it, it could be dehydrated. Since it ate I would just make sure temperatures and humidity are correct and leave it alone for a few days.

If it starts soaking check for mites.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    What is the humidity at? I keep all my boas and retic around 80-85% humidity and let it drop to 70, then bring it back up.

Also if the water bowl is not large enough for the snake to fully soak and it has mites, it will generally soak its head as that is where the mites like the most, in the eyes and the fold under the chin.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Bci always drinking

The water bowl is plenty big enough for it to soak in, although I do think it could've been dehydrated. Even if he was dehydrated though every time I went in the room for about an hours length of time his head just in the water like he was drinking, which seems odd even if he was dehydrated, but idk. I will try to keep up the humidity as much as I can, I could even give it a head of my monsoon when I'm not at home to spray down his cage.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well you don't want it wet, you want humidity. Use a moisture holding substrate like Eco Earth, Cypress mulch, ReptiChips or something like that. And I've seen my boas drink for like 2-3 mins but never keep their head in the water for an hour. I would check for mites personally. Catching them sooner than later will help with getting rid of them plus I would definitely wipe down the outsides of your other snake cages as preventative and hopefully you have the snake QT in another room.

My dumerils somehow got mites and she was in the same room as my other snakes. But I wipe down all my cage stacks outside and bases with PAM once a month or so as preventative. Luckily no one else got mites(knock on wood). I think the dumerils got them from a hitchhiker I brought home as I forgot to retreat her glass tank as I was waiting for her AP cage. I moved her out of the room and have been treating her for about 1.5 months now and so far looking good.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-25-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well you don't want it wet, you want humidity. Use a moisture holding substrate like Eco Earth, Cypress mulch, ReptiChips or something like that. And I've seen my boas drink for like 2-3 mins but never keep their head in the water for an hour. I would check for mites personally. Catching them sooner than later will help with getting rid of them plus I would definitely wipe down the outsides of your other snake cages as preventative and hopefully you have the snake QT in another room.

My dumerils somehow got mites and she was in the same room as my other snakes. But I wipe down all my cage stacks outside and bases with PAM once a month or so as preventative. Luckily no one else got mites(knock on wood). I think the dumerils got them from a hitchhiker I brought home as I forgot to retreat her glass tank as I was waiting for her AP cage. I moved her out of the room and have been treating her for about 1.5 months now and so far looking good.
    He's quit doing it now, he's just sitting in his hide. Unfortunately i can't really move the cage atm ( little too wide for the door ) and I have no where else to put it. Thinking back that was probably poorly planned on my part. I'll try and see if the behavior continues, but I think that might have been a one time thing. If it does I guess I'll have to find space for all my other guys somewhere else, they'll have to stay in like that living room or something, and I'll replace the substrate and wipe down the cages. As for the humidity his substrate is already eco earth mixed with cypress mulch, so ill leave off the monsoon sprites down the cage once a day and maybe put a towel over part of the top. They guy so far seems to be doing really well other than the drinking thing, he seems perfectly at home just like all my other snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

I've never seen mine drink but I know she knows where the water is because poops in it every time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk