Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,551

5 members and 3,546 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts

Herpstat set up question

So I've upgraded to a herpstat, but here's the question: Should I just use the herpstat or should I plug the herpstat into my JumpStart for another layer of protection or is this going to make the system weaker some how (not allow the herpstat to work at full capacity). the plan was the set the JumpStart at 96 and the Herpstat at 90. My thinking is if the Herpstat somehow fails 'ON' that the Jumpstart would step in, if the Jumpstart fails the Herpstat is already on it.

Thoughts?

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks
    I know people do this but I've always been hazy on that works as well...because you are pushing 2 different readings through the tstats...it would have to cause some type of additional wear and tear I'd think...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't run double thermostats. Herpstats have built in safety relays. Just make sure you set your temps, if it can't reach it then it'll disable so it doesn't kill your animal. I would just throw the jumpstart away. Honestly all of those types of thermostats when they generally fail, they crank open full power.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I wouldn't throw it away, it's a good back up/temp t-stat. I use mine for when I go to a show out of town and get something that I can't take back right away, and most recently I'm putting together a chicken egg incubator out of it. Just because it's iffy for long term doesn't make it useless.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Slither Seeker (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    I won't throw it away, but I was just curious as to the double thermostat thing. I will just set up the Herpstat then! For 120$ it really should be the only stat I need. Thanks guys!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Slither Seeker (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    I have a jumpstart too in a less critical enclosure, and it's great for the money but... I chose the herpstat for my bp because of how fail safe and reliable it is, plugging that into a jumpstart would be like using a Nissan Leaf to tow a Tesla model S!
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

Thanks

Re: Herpstat set up question

Quote Originally Posted by Slither Seeker View Post
    I have a jumpstart too in a less critical enclosure, and it's great for the money but... I chose the herpstat for my bp because of how fail safe and reliable it is, plugging that into a jumpstart would be like using a Nissan Leaf to tow a Tesla model S!

Haha!

So had the Herpstat plugged in for a few hours. The top tub and middle tub are perfect...the bottom tub is 6-8 (even 15 in one tiny spot) degrees warmer than the other two (no snakes in the tub) in places. I'm going to go ahead and assume I need new heat tape? Odd that the bottom tub has a few hot sports and since one of those spots is 110 I'm not happy! I have to admit that I haven't been checking that tub for temp until today because no one lives in it so that problem could have been there for a while not just after the new thermostat.

Right now I have the probe in the slot on top, which is where the cord is attached to the heat tape, should I move the probe to the bottom tub slow away from the power source?