Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

0 members and 3,163 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Humidity/Pre-Shed Habits

So I've recently moved to Northern Cali from southern Florida and I've been having a hard time keeping my humidity up. When I get home from work it's at a level that seems harmful. I have moss in the enclosure and have been making it extremely damp. Is there anything I can do to help or would switching to a tub be a better option?

Also, have you noticed your snake, not sure the type matters as I only have a ball python, doing anything before a shed?

Mine just went into her second blue with me and I noticed that she would start rubbing her nose on her hides and her belly would start to get a shade of pink. I noticed all of these things prior to her first blue phase.

Anyway, the humidity question is my main one since she is in blue and would like to have another perfect shed. I want to see how much longer she got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Do you have a glass tank with a screen lid? If so, is the lid covered with plexi-glass or cardboard lined with aluminum foil? What substrate are you using?
    I live in MA, and keeping humidity up in the winter months is a pain in the butt. So, I feel your pain. When any of my snakes go into shed I always add some extra plastic tubs/deli cups/tupperwares, etc...filled with sphagnum moss or wet paper towels. It clutters the enclosure, but helps with the humidity and (knock on wood) I've had only perfect sheds to this point. My Cal King, Django is probably going to shed today (fingers crossed) or tomorrow.

A pink belly is usually the first thing I notice when my BP is about to go into a shed. Usually a pink belly and dulled looking skin are my first tip-offs.
    I have seen my snakes rubbing their noses on different things in their enclosure once in blue and prior to the actual shed.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but if you're measuring the shed to get a length of your snake, it is a very inaccurate representation of the length of the snake. Sheds tend to stretch out and are not the length of the actual animal. Sorry.

Thanks

Re: Humidity/Pre-Shed Habits

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Do you have a glass tank with a screen lid? If so, is the lid covered with plexi-glass or cardboard lined with aluminum foil? What substrate are you using?
    I live in MA, and keeping humidity up in the winter months is a pain in the butt. So, I feel your pain. When any of my snakes go into shed I always add some extra plastic tubs/deli cups/tupperwares, etc...filled with sphagnum moss or wet paper towels. It clutters the enclosure, but helps with the humidity and (knock on wood) I've had only perfect sheds to this point. My Cal King, Django is probably going to shed today (fingers crossed) or tomorrow.

A pink belly is usually the first thing I notice when my BP is about to go into a shed. Usually a pink belly and dulled looking skin are my first tip-offs.
    I have seen my snakes rubbing their noses on different things in their enclosure once in blue and prior to the actual shed.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but if you're measuring the shed to get a length of your snake, it is a very inaccurate representation of the length of the snake. Sheds tend to stretch out and are not the length of the actual animal. Sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaltLife422 View Post
    So I've recently moved to Northern Cali from southern Florida and I've been having a hard time keeping my humidity up. When I get home from work it's at a level that seems harmful. I have moss in the enclosure and have been making it extremely damp. Is there anything I can do to help or would switching to a tub be a better option?

Also, have you noticed your snake, not sure the type matters as I only have a ball python, doing anything before a shed?

Mine just went into her second blue with me and I noticed that she would start rubbing her nose on her hides and her belly would start to get a shade of pink. I noticed all of these things prior to her first blue phase.

Anyway, the humidity question is my main one since she is in blue and would like to have another perfect shed. I want to see how much longer she got

Welcome to South Florida. Hope you are liking the change because Northern Cali is a tough act to follow. This is likely the only time of year you will have humidity problems. Humidity levels are about to rise sharply!

That being said, I have kept the a/c at a minimum in my office (snake room). I also will be switching out of the glass enclosures soon as I usually put something over the screen top to keep humidity levels up.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

I'm tagging onto this thread because my husband and I are also finding it semi-difficult to maintain proper humidity in our new BP's terrarium. We've got a piece of plexiglass covering a little more than half of the screen, and we've been doing our best to mist the inside with repti-safe water to keep the humidity level between 50-60%. When we try to keep AC to a minimum, it spikes the temp of his warm side to almost 100 :/ next month we're going to replace the aspen bedding for reptichips, which should help, but until then we struggle to maintain proper humidity when we're both working. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! He's only about 3 1/2 months old, so I want his first shed (whenever it may be) to go smoothly for him.

Thanks in advance for the help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

I just have my heat lamp on top. I was using aspen bedding but I have switched to paper towels. Way easier.

Also, lol yea I'm not measuring length by the shed. I'm talking about the actual shake because I noticed a big difference after the first shed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Welcome to South Florida. Hope you are liking the change because Northern Cali is a tough act to follow. This is likely the only time of year you will have humidity problems. Humidity levels are about to rise sharply!

That being said, I have kept the a/c at a minimum in my office (snake room). I also will be switching out of the glass enclosures soon as I usually put something over the screen top to keep humidity levels up.
    Lol I moved FROM south Florida to Northern Cali.

What do you put over the top of yours?