Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

0 members and 2,865 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Heat lamps and UTH

I got my ball python and I'm so worried about his heat. My room is cold and I have an under the tank heater and I have a thermostat with it. What temp should I set the under the tank heater to? I also have a heat lamp that is set to a thermostat to keep the air temp warm other wise it's freezing. If i have my heat lamp set to 90 and it makes the cage 99 could that affect the temp for my under the tank and make that lower cause the lamp made the tank 90 degreess? If i put my hand on the floor of the tank ever the heater is it doesn't feel very hot

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    90 to 95 degrees doesnt feel hot to a human thats why we use temperature guns.
    You want the surface your snake can touch no hotter than 95 degrees. That would be the floor UNDER the substrate.
    Your overhead should not make the temperature in the enclosure 99 degrees....... That is way too hot and no place to escape.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-23-2017)

Thanks

Re: Heat lamps and UTH

I got my ball python and I'm so worried about his heat. My room is cold and I have an under the tank heater and I have a thermostat with it. What temp should I set the under the tank heater to? I also have a heat lamp that is set to a thermostat to keep the air temp warm other wise it's freezing. If i have my heat lamp set to 90 and it makes the cage 99 could that affect the temp for my under the tank and make that lower cause the lamp made the tank 90 degreess? If i put my hand on the floor of the tank ever the heater is it doesn't feel very hot

First, if you don't have one already you need to get a temp gun for measuring that hot spot temp. You can get one on amazon for pretty cheap. It is the most accurate way to measure as opposed to sticking your hand on the spot. Heat feels very different to your warm blooded hands compared to a cold blooded snake. You are going to have to play around with it to get the right temp. You want to measure the temp on the hot spot down to the glass, not just on top of the substrate. When I had my first thermostat, I think my setting was for 99 or 100 to get the hot spot temp to where it should be. You should aim for a temp of 88-92 for the hot spot.

The heat lamp set to 90 making the cage 99 is a little too warm for an ambient temp. Ambient temp gradient should be on the lower end of 80 degrees. For now, I would suggest unplugging the UTH since you have a heat lamp. Once you get a temp gun and can accurately record the temperature the UTH is creating, then you can adjust it accordingly. Just keep the lamp on and try to keep the tank around the mid 80s. There are sticky threads for how to set up a glass tank https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!. Also, if you have not done so, take a look at the caresheet https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...thon-CARESHEET
    Last edited by SKO; 03-23-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks

I'm sorry I meant 90 degrees not 99. I know 99 is way too hot. Should I have my Under the tank heater set to 90? And should I set my heat lamp to 90 to make it 90 for the air temp? I wasn't sure if having both set to 90 would be too hot. I do have a temp gun and it says about the right temp around 89 to 92. However sometimes it will randomly say like 96 or so and it makes me paranoid it's too hot. It mostly says a good temp but it will randomly get a temp too high.
    Last edited by Chemromance98; 03-23-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks
    Air temp you want in the low to mid 80s

Thanks

What temp should I set my under the tank heater too? I don't want it to be too hot where he can't touch the bottom of the tank

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    90 to 95 degrees doesnt feel hot to a human thats why we use temperature guns.
    You want the surface your snake can touch no hotter than 95 degrees. That would be the floor UNDER the substrate.
    Your overhead should not make the temperature in the enclosure 99 degrees....... That is way too hot and no place to escape.