Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

0 members and 2,923 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Breeding Standards

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Now that's interesting. I'm not sure I agree with all of the long-term benefits being worth the effort, but I can see where you're going with this.

How are you establishing your baseline? Where is the input "teaching" data coming from? Beyond your Mojave/Phantom example, have you expanded to any other morphs?
    I am confident I can do pastel. Other than that the computer only knows my animals if that makes any sense. I just do not have enough single gene animals in the numbers it would take to establish greater accuracy. The program knows my lesser is a lesser but she is the only single gene lesser I have. Most of my single gene stuff is Mojave, Phantom and a few Pastels. All my yellowbelly stuff is tied up in Supers and ALS. I have two single gene enchis of the exact same quality. etc. I can pull images from the internet but it is very time consuming to find images that are good enough. The age of the animal is also a factor. The computer tells me yes that is a mojave but internally to the system it may be known as a hatchling mojave. You are right, it is time consuming because I am doing everything myself. Right now I am trying to gather data for yellowbellys and gravels. Problem is I do not trust the images on the internet to be accurate. I need to find someone that is 100% sure that they have a couple single gene gravels that would be willing to take some good pictures for me.

In hindsight, it would not help my gravel project, but I should have taken more pictures of the single gene animals I have produced and kept more holdbacks. I am really trying to keep the whole thing fun though so I am trying to limit the size of my collection. I am at around 50 animals right now. At around 100 its going to start smelling like work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    That's a very interesting software project. While the ball python morph recognition version might not be "worth" the effort just as a direct value proposition, I have a feeling there's a lot of uses for a good pattern recognition software like electronic conversion of old handwritten texts. Either way, "useful" applications or not, it's pretty interesting.
    Yeah, the pattern recognition and the AI itself have value.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I am confident I can do pastel. Other than that the computer only knows my animals if that makes any sense. I just do not have enough single gene animals in the numbers it would take to establish greater accuracy. The program knows my lesser is a lesser but she is the only single gene lesser I have. Most of my single gene stuff is Mojave, Phantom and a few Pastels. All my yellowbelly stuff is tied up in Supers and ALS. I have two single gene enchis of the exact same quality. etc. I can pull images from the internet but it is very time consuming to find images that are good enough. The age of the animal is also a factor. The computer tells me yes that is a mojave but internally to the system it may be known as a hatchling mojave. You are right, it is time consuming because I am doing everything myself. Right now I am trying to gather data for yellowbellys and gravels. Problem is I do not trust the images on the internet to be accurate. I need to find someone that is 100% sure that they have a couple single gene gravels that would be willing to take some good pictures for me.

In hindsight, it would not help my gravel project, but I should have taken more pictures of the single gene animals I have produced and kept more holdbacks. I am really trying to keep the whole thing fun though so I am trying to limit the size of my collection. I am at around 50 animals right now. At around 100 its going to start smelling like work.
    The easiest way for you to do this would be to buy a male super gravel and breed it to all your single/double gene animals. That way you'll know anything that isn't a combo is a gravel. Unfortunately you probably don't have 5k sitting around to purchase a super gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kxr For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (03-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kxr View Post
    The easiest way for you to do this would be to buy a male super gravel and breed it to all your single/double gene animals. That way you'll know anything that isn't a combo is a gravel. Unfortunately you probably don't have 5k sitting around to purchase a super gravel
    You are of course right. The problem is my mentality. Once I start dropping that kind of cash I will go into money making mode and I am really trying to keep this at a hobby level. The most expensive animals I have allowed myself to purchase are my male and female highways. I didn't get involved in YB until last year. All my YB complex females are up to size but they are only two. So far it is not looking like they are a go this year. My male went to a normal who I am pretty sure is going to go, so I am looking at quite a few holdbacks if I don't figure out how to tell them apart. The other consideration is what started this thread in the first place. Super Gravels were 8k last year, now down to 5k. So, if my male turns out to be a dud I will pick up a Super Gravel male next season. If my luck holds it will take me no more than six months to get him ready to roll. To make matters even more difficult I have a Puma involved in this mess and I don't know how to identify a Spark either.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 03-24-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

You are of course right. The problem is my mentality. Once I start dropping that kind of cash I will go into money making mode and I am really trying to keep this at a hobby level. The most expensive animals I have allowed myself to purchase are my male and female highways. I didn't get involved in YB until last year. All my females are up to size but they are only two. So far it is not looking like they are a go this year. My male went to a normal who I am pretty sure is going to go, so I am looking at quite a few holdbacks if I don't figure out how to tell them apart. The other consideration is what started this thread in the first place. Super Gravels were 8k last year, now down to 5k. So, if my male turns out to be a dud I will pick up a Super Gravel male next season. If my luck holds it will take me no more than six months to get him ready to roll. To make matters even more difficult I have a Puma involved in this mess and I don't know how to identify a Spark either.
    I'm actually glad that you brought that up. I plan to purchase a super gravel in the future but I want to produce some yellowbelly female hold backs before I do. That means I'm a good 4-5 years away and by that time they'll likely actually be (somewhat) affordable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kxr View Post
    I'm actually glad that you brought that up. I plan to purchase a super gravel in the future but I want to produce some yellowbelly female hold backs before I do. That means I'm a good 4-5 years away and by that time they'll likely actually be (somewhat) affordable.

Not a bad way to go if you are not as impatient as I am. Even if the super gravel price continues to plummet, I think there is a lot of potential in combos with it. Some of the Highway combos are looking pretty hot.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Not a bad way to go if you are not as impatient as I am. Even if the super gravel price continues to plummet, I think there is a lot of potential in combos with it. Some of the Highway combos are looking pretty hot.
    Or, if you're anything like me, if you happen to miss on the Highway combos in one upcoming pairing, you've still got 4 other awesome genes at play and an identical back-up pairing just in case.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (03-24-2017)

Thanks

I totally agree but I have other fish I'm going after first. That's why I'm okay with waiting so long for a super gravel lol

I plan on picking up two animals this season. One will likely be a female desert ghost combo and the other a female clown combo. I'm trying to limit the number of animals I pick up. At the rate I'm going it'll be a long time until I have 50 animals lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Or, if you're anything like me, if you happen to miss on the Highway combos in one upcoming pairing, you've still got 4 other awesome genes at play and an identical back-up pairing just in case.
    Showoff!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kxr For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    It's surprising to me that this is such a debated topic. Better looking animals are going to cost more. Supply and demand do drive prices. The new hot morphs are going to cost more until they become more available. BPs are judged by their colors and patterns. They aren't like dogs where different builds and body mass come into play. That's what I call breed standards. Its not just colors. Other than sickly individuals not being desirable, BPs are all shaped the same. They just look different and they cost different amounts based on those colors and patterns. I think it's all about making smart choices when you buy. if you are buying from a breeder you can ask questions and request pictures it should be a pretty safe process. If you are buying from a larger outlet where you don't pick the specific animal and are just buying X and get what they send you, it can get dicey. That's your fault for buying from them. There are so many options these days. There is something for everyone at pretty much every price point.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast